If you’ve read The Omnivore’s Dilemma you will know that the supermarket if full of unhealthy adaptations of CORN and that there are a lot more BAD foods than GOOD ones.
My next recommendation covers the healthiest of choices from all the food groups. It clearly outlines what nutritional benefits each contains and helps shape your grocery list for better health. This book will aid you on your path to a better body inside and out.
My third recommended read is…
The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden
PRO TIP: Take notes! When you read a book, use a blank sheet of paper as a bookmark. Write down any interesting facts and information from the book. This condenses a whole book into 3-4 pages of key notes that are important and relevant to you.
- Healthy nuts include Almonds, Brazils, Cashews and Pecans. The benefits are mainly improving heart health and the fact they contain beneficial fats.
- Eating walnuts improves brain function and mood.
- Pumpkin seeds increase testosterone.
- The best dairy sources are Raw Milk and Greek Yoghurt.
- Broccoli, Carrots, Kale, Onion and Spinach are some of the best vegetables.
- Oatmeal and Quinoa are good grains for the protein and fibre content.
- Avocado, Blueberries, Coconut, Kiwi and Strawberries are good fruits.
- In small doses Coffee is very healthy, but Green Tea makes the list too.
- The main benefits of fruit and vegetables are: vitamin-rich, anti-oxidants, anti-cancer and eye/brain health.
- Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, Ginger improves circulation, Turmeric is a good anti-inflammatory and Rosemary is good for memory.
- There are six or seven decent oils, some are better raw and other for cooking depending on the smoke point.
- Eggs contain all essential amino acids (protein) and are better boiled than scrambled.
- Meats include lamb and beef, but have to be grass fed.
- Limit fish (excluding salmon) to twice a week if you are concerned about mercury poisoning.
- Taking selenium (in brazil nuts) limits the detrimental effects of mercury.
- Dark chocolate, kimchi and sauerkraut are included in the ‘other’ category.
- Kiwi Fruit has more vitamin C than oranges.