If you’ve read Book 2 – The Omnivore’s Dilemma you will know that the supermarket if full of unhealthy adaptations of CORN and that there is a lot more BAD foods than there are GOOD.
My next recommendation covers the healthiest of choices from all the food groups, clearly outlining what nutritional benefits each contains and helping shape your grocery list on your path to a better body inside and out.
My third recommended read is…
The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Jonny Bowden
PRO TIP: Take notes! When you read a book, use a blank sheet of paper as a bookmark and write down any interesting facts and information from the book. You won’t remember everything a year from now, so this condenses a whole book into 3-4 pages of key notes that are important to you.
Some of my notes on the Healthiest Foods:
- Nuts include Almonds, Brazils, Cashews, Pecans. Mainly Heart Health and Heathy Fats.
- Walnuts improve brain function and mood.
- Pumpkin seeds increase testosterone.
- The best dairy sources are Raw Milk and Greek Yoghurt.
- Broccoli, Carrots, Kale, Onion, Spinach are some of the best vegetables
- About 30 of the 150 are vegetables and another 25-30 are fruits
- Oatmeal and Quinoa are good grains for the protein and fibre
- Avocado, Blueberries, Coconut, Kiwi and Strawberries are good fruits.
- In small doses Coffee is very healthy, but Green Tea makes the list too
- The main benefits of fruit and vegetables are: vitamin-rich, anti-oxidants, anti-cancer and eye/brain health
- Cinnamon regulates blood sugar
- Ginger improves circulation
- Turmeric is a good anti-inflammatory
- Rosemary is good for memory
- There are six or seven decent oils, some are better raw and other for cooking depending on the smoke point
- Eggs contain all essential amino acids (protein) and are better boiled than scrambled
- Meats include lamb and beef, but have to be grass fed
- Limit fish (excluding salmon) to twice a week if you are concerned about mercury poisoning
- Taking selenium (in brazil nuts) limits the detrimental effects of mercury
- Dark chocolate, kimchi and sauerkraut make the list
- Kiwi Fruit has more vitamin C than oranges
- List of fruit and vegetables containing the most pesticides that you must wash before consumption