Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

WEEK 15

13 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Lateral Band Exercise – 3 sets
      SL Jump – 3 sets
      Bounding Series – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      Weighted Pistol Variation – 3 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 70kg

14 May

Core/balance/feet supersets

16 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      1st Step Exercise – 3 sets
      Weighted DB Skip – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Step Up Variation – 3 sets
      Jump Practice – 10 mins

I didn’t even take my ladder to the court because I feel so far from a PB. I had one or two jumps that looked decent but I also had some that looked worse than week 0. It’s an interesting choice to program the practice jumps after all the other exercises, the step up in particular really taxes my legs.

17 May

18 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Agility drill – 4 sets
      Bounding – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

I used a metronome for RDL and did 3010 tempo which helped get my rhythm. This was a good session, I’m quite run down and have been making the extra effort to eat right but today was borderline fresh.

Next week will be the end of phase 4! I’ve still enjoyed the exercises but it’s been a bit demoralising being so far from setting a PB and that’s meant shifting focus to completing each session to the best of my ability and recovering well between sessions too.

Here are the hurdle jumps from today

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 16

20 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
        Lateral Band Exercise – 3 sets
        SL Jump – 3 sets
        Bounding Series – 2 sets
        Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
        RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

21 May

23 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
        1st Step Exercise – 3 sets
        Weighted DB Skip – 3 sets
        Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
        Step Up Variation – 3 sets
        Jump Technique – 15 mins

I changed the last exercise, choosing instead to go back to Phase 1 and do some jump mechanics before trying a few 2 step and full approaches. This was much better and I was rediscovering the technique that made me feel so springy. Still no PB unfortunately.

24 May

25 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
        Agility drill – 4 sets
        Bounding – 1.5 sets (adductor injury)

I am gutted. I had already planned a week of rest because I could tell my body is tired and needs a break. I tried to get a little extra distance off my right foot in the bounds and I had a sharp pain in my upper thigh. I immediately walked home and iced it, then took an ice bath, now it’s compressed and elevated while I plan my rehab. By the descriptions it unfortunately looks like a grade 2, which could mean 8 weeks out. The most frustrating part about that is I would need to start from an earlier phase rather than picking up where I left off.

Here are some hurdle jumps from earlier in the week.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

ADDUCTOR REHAB

Injured on 25 May ~3pm

It’s probably a strong Grade 1 and my best estimate is 2-3 weeks.

26 May

Foam Roll healthy leg

28 May

Tried the VCE Foam Roll & Dynamic WU, some discomfort during the foam rolling, A-Skips were fine but I was unable to do jumping jacks at all.

29 May

Epsom Salt Bath – 25 mins (hot!!)

30 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU – very minor discomfort during the foam roll of adductors, also able to do jumping jacks with no pain.

Walk 400m
          Jog 1 mile @ 15:30 pace
          Walk 400m

I wanted to log the walk because it’s not a guarantee that I can do things like that. I walked to a nearby park and did a very tentative jog at near enough walking pace, having to stop every minute or so to shake my leg out. I could tell if I increased speed even slightly the injury was troubling me. I was in lycra shorts but the thigh wasn’t strapped in any way.

31 May

Running warm up

Walk 400m
          Jog 2 miles @ 10:30, 9:45 pace
          Walk 400m

Static Stretching

This isn’t that much faster than yesterday, the main difference was not stopping at all. I did notice my leg warmed up after 3/4 mile and I picked up the pace, it’s still very much a plod than a full run so I’m not getting ahead of myself. I had stopped static stretching because it was listed as optional and he said it isn’t that important, but I feel better including it again.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

ADDUCTOR REHAB WEEK 2

1 Jun

Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
            Phase 5 Core workout
            Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

I took the stretches from earlier phases and put them back on core days, also choosing a foot conditioning drill to do too. This all went fine and my leg didn’t bother me.

2 Jun

Banded Lateral – 3 sets
            Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
            Banded HS/Glute Move – 3 sets
            Long Duration Jumps – 2 sets
            Jog 1.5 miles @ 8:30/mi pace

I picked some of the phase 5 moves that don’t involve explosive lateral movement and again I got through it unscathed. I finished with some jogging and was pleased enough with my pace that I stopped early.

3 Jun

Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
            Phase 5 Core workout
            Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

I did the same again just to keep in some sort of shape.

4 Jun

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
            2 step and full approach jumps ~12

I went to the court to see what shape I was in. I managed to hit my marker at 65cm, 66cm, 68cm and 70cm then called it quits. When I got back I felt like I’d made my injury a little bit worse, so I had another epsom salt bath and planned to jump again ~48 hours before starting phase 5 so I don’t go into it with a weakened leg.

7 Jun

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
            2 step and full approach jumps ~12

I set it at 65cm (height jumped in week 0) which I managed from a lazy two step approach, then 68cm (previous PB going into Vert Code Elite) again with a strong contact. After flapping about at 72cm I put it to 70.5cm which I got from a 2 step. I realised my full approach is weak because I’m not accelerating into it, so I started taking more composed steps and then attacking the penultimate. I touched my marker at 72cm then with the final jump of the session I got 73cm (28.75″) which is 1cm off my PB.

I was checking the video every few attempts and it was obvious I was not extending properly into the penultimate, but as this would mean extending my injured leg I didn’t want to risk anything so I let myself do the more reserved technique. I feel a bit tender now and will probably hold at 90% effort for the first few sessions back before really committing, but I decided beforehand I’d only feel up for Phase 5 if I could get 72cm and I went a little better so I’m confident about going on.

Here’s me touching the marker at 73cm, which is 4cm from the rim and 1cm off my all time PB which was set in week 12 (end of phase 3)

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

PHASE 5

WEEK 17

9 Jun

A1 Resistance Band Lateral – 3 sets
              A2 Lateral Step w Jump – 3 sets
              B1 Res. Band Block Step – 3 sets
              B2 Bound to Jump – 3 sets
              C1 Hex Hang Pull – 3 sets 60kg, 1 set 70kg
              C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
              Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 2 sets 100kg, 2 sets 110kg
              D1 Rhythm Squats – 3 sets
              D2 Banded Pull Through – 3 sets
              Sub Max Jumping – 1:45, 2:00, 2:15

Well, that was a lot. My adductor was 90+% but I held back slightly, I really like the block step exercise because I can see so much room for improvement in the technique he recommends compared to what I do currently. I like the hang pull too, I didn’t bother with a high pull because I’ve never done them before whereas I’ve done years of hang power cleans so a hang pull is comfortable. I did feel a twinge on the back of my knee doing the sets of several minutes jumping at the end.

10 Jun

Foam Roll, 11 stretches, 4 Core Exercises, 1 Foot Conditioning Drill

I’ve revisited earlier phases to stay on top of my stretching, I also intend to do the optional third session a week of this.

11 Jun

2x Resistance Band Drills – 3 sets
              Cone Drill – 3 sets
              Hurdle Jumps – 3 sets
              A1 SL DB Jump – 4 sets
              A2 SL takeoff – 4 sets
              B1 SLRDL variation – 4 sets
              B2 SL Broad Jump to SL Vert – 4 sets (2.5m, 60cm)
              Weighted Reverse Plank – 3 sets
              Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 120 secs

Long jumping was much better this time. A few drills could have done with a hurdle so I’ve made one and will be using it next week.

12 Jun

Foam Roll, 11 stretches, 4 Core Exercises, 1 Foot Conditioning Drill
              Running – 1.25 miles in 8:30/mi pace

I really neglect my cardio so I put in a token 10-12 minute run this week and I want to keep doing it.

14 Jun

A1 Resistance Band Lateral – 3 sets
              A2 Lateral Step w Jump – 3 sets
              B1 Res. Band Block Step – 3 sets
              B2 Bound to Jump – 3 sets
              C1 Hex Hang Pull – 1 set 70kg, 3 sets 72.5kg
              C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
              Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 4 sets 120kg
              D1 Rhythm Squats – 3 sets
              D2 Banded Pull Through – 3 sets
              Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 2:15

Great session, I feel 100% and I smashed through it. Hang pulls are a touch light so I added another 2.5kg, maybe 75kg is still better. The same with the split stance squat, I had a few reps where I left the ground and that doesn’t help my knees when I land again. I bloody love this workout, I’d do that year round if I could.

Here is SL Bound to SL Vert, I put a piece of table to jump over. I measured the distance from the cone to the base and then I measured the height of it, which is the two numbers in brackets (2.5m, 60cm). I will look to push myself and extend those numbers across the coming weeks.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 37 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.