Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020)

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

WEEK 28

3 Sept

Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
      Bound/Sprint – 9 runs
      Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
      Jump Complex – 3 sets
      Eccentric Calf Lower – 11 x 10 secs w 29kg
      Copenhagen Plank (full) – 3 x 15 secs

Great to be able to build up to a full Copenhagen plank over the last four weeks.

4 Sept

Clean Variation – 3 sets
      Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
      Nordic Curls – 4 sets
      Calf Raise – 3 sets

I went heavier on the cleans and it felt better, usually if it’s too light you can end up using your arms too much to raise the weight.

5 Sept

3x Core/Mobility supersets

The barefoot walking was good for foot strength and arches but aggravating my Achilles so I backed off for now.

6 Sept

Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
      Bound/Sprint – 8 runs
      Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
      Jump Complex – 3 sets

I’m backing off my accessory lifts so no adductor or Achilles work, just giving my body a rest.

8 Sept

Clean Variation – 3 sets
      Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
      Nordic Curls – 4 sets
      Calf Raise – 3 sets

Not in the mood for this one, I can sense the accumulated fatigue once again and look forward to taking a few days off. Previously there’s been plyo’s and lots of CNS taxing workouts, this time I have the more familiar feeling of tired muscles from more traditional exercises like Nordics and pistol squats.

9 Sept

3x Core/Mobility supersets

I’m ready to move on now, those were a good four weeks but having done 8 of each session the odd exercise that I don’t enjoy has become quite a chore (I’m looking at you “rolling cross touch”).

I will probably take an Epsom salt bath this evening, then test my vert on the 11th. I would have tested later but the morning of the 12th is tattoo removal and I’m incapacitated for 48 hrs after that, meaning I have to start phase 8 on Monday 14th.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

11 Sept

Vert Test – RL = 66cm, LR = 70cm

I didn’t expect to PB, phase 7 felt like a strength phase so if anything I thought I’d be a bit sluggish and flat. It’s nice to test it anyway as a measure of how I’m progressing.

PHASE 8

14 Sept

4 Core supersets

My weekly layout suited starting with day 3, so I opened phase 8 with the ab exercises.

15 Sept

Stability Drill – 3 sets
        Hopping Drill – 3 sets
        Lateral Drill – 3 sets
        Skipping Drill – 3 sets
        Step Up Variation – 5 sets
        Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

This took longer than I expected but I like the exercises.

16 Sept

Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
        Hang High Pull – 4 sets
        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        RLESS – 5 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets

Ohhh I really like this day. The rep ranges make me feel like there’s at least some sort of taper or a transition from strength to power.

17 Sept

Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 3 sets
        2 step approach – 5 x 2
        4 Core supersets

I was reading the YouTube comments and I’m tired of having a flawed jump technique that everyone focuses on, so I added in the phase 1 drills to help. I don’t know whether twice a week is excessive load but I plan to do the same next week for the other core day. I didn’t measure the 2 step but I will do next time as I was getting some quite good height.

19 Sept

Stability Drill – 3 sets
        Hopping Drill – 3 sets
        Lateral Drill – 3 sets
        Skipping Drill – 3 sets
        Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

20 Sept

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        RLESS – 5 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets

Much better second time round. The first session is always a tester where you get a feel for what amount of weight to use but now I have it dialled in already and can load appropriately.

Here are the weighted jumps, it’s only 20kg because as I say it seems to be more about power in this phase

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

WEEK 30

21 Sept

4 Core supersets

22 Sept

Stability Drill – 3 sets
          Hopping Drill – 3 sets
          Lateral Drill – 3 sets
          Skipping Drill – 3 sets
          Step Up Variation – 4 sets
          Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
          Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

I have a new exercise that I saw kneesovertoesguy demonstrate so I put that at the end of the session.

23 Sept

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          RLESS – 5 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets
          Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

I tried a few nordics without the resistance band and I am improving, so that’s good to know. Hang high pull is good too, I had been doing a hang pull but by switching to a barbell the hang high pull feels quite natural.

24 Sept

2 step approach – 5 x 2
          4 Core supersets

I decided against doing this on both core days but once a week is certainly worthwhile. I felt flatter this week and made the mistake of setting up a target to try and touch. I need to focus on technique and not fall into the trap of trying to get the most height, because I may have to sacrifice a few cm until my body is familiar with the new movement pattern.

26 Sept

Stability Drill – 3 sets
          Hopping Drill – 3 sets
          Lateral Drill – 3 sets
          Skipping Drill – 3 sets
          Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

These sessions are really solid, I feel like each one is contributing something to the end product that is my vert and it’s a shame my technique isn’t allowing me to put it all together.

27 Sept

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          RLESS – 5 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets

This one was a bit of a grind, I have a 9-10 hour shift and need to squeeze it in before breakfast. At one point I went higher with the RLESS (27.5kg per hand) but having dialled it back down to 25kg I can focus on exploding up to standing.

Here are the RLESS, possibly my very first session as I’m using about 22.5kg. It’s not meant to be so heavy you have to grind out reps and I’m happy with the weight I do now.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

WEEK 31

28 Sept

4 Core supersets

29 Sept

Stability Drill – 3 sets
            Hopping Drill – 3 sets
            Lateral Drill – 3 sets
            Skipping Drill – 3 sets
            Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
            Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

30 Sept

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            RLESS – 5 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets

1 Oct

2 step approach – 5 x 2
            4 Core supersets

I felt like I was getting good spring on my 2 step approaches but I also ditched the plastic ruler so I wasn’t obsessing over height. I’m really glad that I chose to add these jumps in as the more recent phases do feel like an ‘in-season’ program where additional jumping is almost expected of you.

3 Oct

Stability Drill – 3 sets
            Hopping Drill – 3 sets
            Skipping Drill – 3 sets
            Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

I had minor discomfort in my right hamstring and almost concluded that I shouldn’t work out today, but then I remembered he offers a trimmed down version for those short on time that might suit me. I did skip one of the “do not skip this” exercises because I thought that was the highest risk to further hamstring damage. I got through the session with no problems.

4 Oct

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            RLESS – 5 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets

I breezed through this one. I haven’t been increasing weight because the focus was on maintaining a minimum execution speed. For the Nordics I tried a few without the resistance band and was pleased with my progress.

Here’s one of my 2 step approaches from the extra technical session I’ve been adding in

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

WEEK 32

5 Oct

4 Core supersets

6 Oct

Stability Drill – 3 sets
              Hopping Drill – 4 sets
              Lateral Drill – 3 sets
              Skipping Drill – 3 sets
              Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
              Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

7 Oct

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
              Clean Variation – 3 sets
              RLESS – 5 sets
              Nordic Curls – 4 sets

10 Oct

Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 1 set
              Full approach – 12-15 attempts
              4 Core supersets

I had an Epsom Salt bath on the 8th and gave my legs 48 hours to recover. I almost didn’t do the session because I was so short on time but I managed to do one set of drills and some approach jumps. The surface was wet so it wasn’t max. effort, I was at a new court which had a 9’9 rim I managed to touch. I prefer my regular court as it’s almost always empty, so will go back to that next time.

11 Oct

Stability Drill – 3 sets
              Hopping Drill – 4 sets
              Skipping Drill – 3 sets
              Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

I wasn’t feeling it at all today, this was a real chore and I skipped the lateral drill.

12 Oct

Hang High Pull – 4 sets
              Clean Variation – 3 sets
              RLESS – 5 sets
              Nordic Curls – 4 sets

Again not the best session, I’ve had poor sleep this week and it showed.

This is where I stop Vert Code Elite. I’ve looked at phase 9 and I don’t feel like I’m missing out by stopping now. My technique is holding me back more than my strength/power right now, so for me the best thing is to write my own program, prioritise technical drills, and also give my body a rest. I know how to peak when it’s muscle soreness but a lot of this is CNS which takes 3-4x as long. I’m going to do two weeks of low intensity maintenance plyo’s and test my vert a few times along the way.

After that I have the exposure to enough programs to know what I should be including and I’m confident I can write up a nice program that’s tailored to my own weaknesses. Phase 9 had sprints and bounding, and as it rains most days I know I’ll only get frustrated about not being able to go flat out on tarmac.

I’ll leave you with the 9’9 rim touch, it didn’t make a noise and I didn’t celebrate so when I was reviewing the video I could only narrow it down to one of these two jumps.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 37 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.