Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020)

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

Here we go!!! This one looks good, I listened to the author on his YouTube channel and he knows his stuff. I can’t imagine the content is worth paying for year round so I paid monthly with the intention of stopping when the progress levels out. It’s $27.95/month which works out at about £21, Vert Shock was $67 and got me 3.2 inches so I’d want a better dollars to inches rate from this.

6 Feb

Pre-Testing

I watched all the week 1 day 1 videos (there’s a lot) and also in the video library there were flexibility assessments for big toe, ankle/calf, hamstring and hip flexor, which I passed. That’s largely down to Kelly Starrett’s Supple Leopard book as I’ve been doing 30 mins of mobility twice a week.

CMJ – 57cm/22.4″

I did heavy squats two days ago so this is exactly where I thought I’d be, and if fresh I could maybe trouble 60cm. I purposefully avoided the technique videos for CMJ and 2 foot on Vert Code Elite’s site because I wanted this to be a true reflection of where I am without it.

Running Vert – 65cm/25.6″

I hit this jump really well and it’s possible I was 1cm higher. I had blu-tacked a ruler onto the backboard and the goal was to knock it off to confirm I can reach that height. I had a good enough connection at 64cm that I assumed it was 65cm and it was probably more.

Here’s my best running vert, you can see the ruler go flying. I had put the stick part of a post-it note on the lower end so the camera could pick up the bottom of the ruler better. The base of the ruler is 290cm, which is 14.8cm (5.8″) below the rim.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 1

Throughout this I will be purposefully vague so as not to give people the whole program for free. The layout is Day 1-5 and it looks like you can choose how to space them, as long as Days 1, 3 and 5 have sufficient recovery.

6 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
      Oscillating Squats w 40kg
      RLESS ISO w 30kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

I enjoyed this. When I did the pushup & pullup program it made such a difference to my mind-muscle connection to start with activation exercises, and it’s the same here.

7 Feb

10 stretches
      4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

I’m familiar with a lot of these stretches and the principles of the ab stuff. It’s nice to work on foot conditioning as I can’t remember another program that’s addressed it.

8 Feb

Jump Session

This is like Jump Science 2.0 in that there’s a dedicated technique day. I had a narrow window to get this done on a Saturday morning before work and to save time I didn’t bring my tripod or intend to film anything. During one of my approaches I touched the backboard for the first time ever (I should note it’s 293cm and I did touch 294cm with a mini hoop in my garden) meaning my gains are already 2cm. Some of this could be attributed to my increased freshness having done heavy squats the previous week, but my technique felt sharp so I want to give the program the benefit of the doubt.

9 Feb

10 stretches

This is the same session as above and there’s the option of doing it a third time as a “Day 6”, which I won’t be doing.

11 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Oscillating Squats w 45kg
      RLESS ISO w 35kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

Weights got heavier but everything else stayed the same. As you can see Days 1 & 5 are the same, as are Days 2 & 4. I should also note that on Day 3 there’s a pool workout but my nearest one is 10 miles away so I did the alternative exercises. That’s also the case on multiple occasions where he uses gym equipment I don’t have in my home gym, and in fact I bought resistance bands to be able to do some of the others.

My first impression is that it’s a good program but it’s very involved, I had to spend 30 mins for each session going through the videos and making a note of the coaching points, and there’s a lot to get through even if the sessions take 60-90 mins. The draw of some of the other programs is their simplicity, and I can see why nobody has made Vert Code Elite free online, because you’d need to link to all the videos to understand the program. I’m already confident I have my money’s worth for the first 4 weeks and so I’ll roll over and allow the money to be deducted for month 2.

Here are my oscillating squats from today, I’ve seen a top dunker do them in his leg day so they are maybe more common than I thought.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 2

13 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Oscillating Squats w 50kg
      RLESS ISO w 40kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

My right ankle seemed to flare up during the Ankle drills.

14 Feb

10 stretches

15 Feb

Jump Session

I started strongly, almost touching the backboard with a 2 foot approach, but last week I misunderstood the sets and reps and didn’t realise it was per leg, so some exercises I did double the volume. This meant by the time it came to longer approach I wasn’t explosive enough to touch the backboard again.

16 Feb

10 stretches

18 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      RLESS ISO w 40kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

Ankle flared up AGAIN on the Ankle drill, the first time I thought it was coincidence but now it’s almost certainly being aggravated, so I’ll skip it next time. In general there’s so much more focus on foot strength and conditioning than any other program so my feet and ankles aren’t used to such a training load.

Here are my RLESS ISO’s, if you find my “Get Vertical” training log it has the same sets, reps and hold time in that program, so I’ve been here before https://9to5strength.com/forums/topic/get-vertical-program-by-christian-thibs/

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 3

20 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      RLESS ISO w 45kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

I did the ankle drills in shoes and this was fine.

21 Feb

10 stretches

22 Feb

Jump Session

Best session so far I think, I felt fitter doing the drills although the finished product of my running jump still leaves a lot to be desired. I equalled my PB off my less natural side, which is Left-Right takeoff, but I’m not that surprised because while it feels alien to me I can tell I’m getting height. I will take a ladder, plastic ruler and blu-tack every week because being able to reach for a target is so helpful.

23 Feb

10 stretches

This is all very standard, an extra rep here or there.

25 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      RLESS ISO w 45kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

Possibly a little bit tedious now having done it a 6th time, there isn’t that much room for progression so the focus is on quality reps.

Here is what still might be considered an unrefined takeoff but it did the job in equalling my PB. Note that brushing the bottom of the ruler would be a PB so I probably surpassed it

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 4

27 Feb

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Oscillating Squats w 55kg
      RLESS ISO w 50kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

Ankle drills in socks again, with my body leaning a little further forward and focus on dorsiflexion, no problems. I bumped the squats by 5kg and RLESS too, tough!

28 Feb

10 stretches

29 Feb

Jump Session

This was when the UK was hit with Storm Jorge, so it was miserable conditions. The court had puddles so I couldn’t jump at the rim, instead I had to find a suitable patch in the middle of the court. My coordination was still there but it was tough doing all the reps as my legs are picking up fatigue.

1 Mar

10 stretches

2 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Oscillating Squats w 55kg
      RLESS ISO w 50kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

I usually wait until the Tuesday but I wanted to get this out the way and bring on the recovery. He says to go as heavy as possible with good form in the RLESS and I really pushed it with 25kg per hand this week. My appetite has exploded but I want to eat well over the next few days and set myself up well for phase 2.

Here are my CMJ when the weather was nicer. I bought this gym tile because landing on my patio was too hard, and the grass was too soft, but this is juuuust right.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

PHASE 2

WEEK 5

5-6 Mar

Deload days including more extensive foam rolling, stretching and gentle cycling.

7 Mar

6 x ~60 yard sprints (9.86, 8.77, 8.49, 8.26, 8.40, 8.37)
      Broad Jump, Power Skips, Jump Practice
      Split Stance Squat 8 x 60kg, 2 x 8 x 80kg

I don’t have access to a track and the football/rugby pitches near me are quite bobbly, so I ran uphill on the tarmac road near me. The first few were submax and the times are only comparable to future sessions.

8 Mar

9 stretches

I skipped a few of the stretches as I passed all the flexibility tests before starting this. These were new supersets but I preferred phase 1 and the ab exercises are run of the mill.

10 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      A1 Unilateral squat variation w 15kg DB
      A2 Posterior Chain Exercise
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 170-190kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D1 Weighted Jump variation
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL 4 x 110,100,100kg
      Unilateral Osc Squat – BW only
      SL Calf superset

This was about 1h45 but felt like it was taking ages. I studied the videos the previous day but still had to re-watch a few as this is almost all new to me. I really liked a lot of these exercises and I feel like my legs have been thoroughly worked. This was tougher than phase 1 and so it’s possible my vert will go down a bit as I adapt to this.

Here’s superset C

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 6

11 Mar

9 stretches

This was meant to be the 13th but I was going to be busy that day so moved it to the 11th.

12 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      A1 Unilateral squat variation w 17.5kg DB
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 190-200kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL 3 x 4 x 110kg
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 3.5 kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

Love that calf superset.

14 Mar

MISSED SESSION

I will train through pretty much anything but I had some quite extreme shortness of breath, following a high fever, and I couldn’t even stand up without feeling like I’m going to faint.

16 Mar

9 stretches

17 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      A1 Unilateral squat variation w 20kg DB
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 200kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL 3 x 4 x 110kg
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 8.5kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

Most likely to be considered idiotic to train in my physical state but I took longer rest and felt much better than at the weekend. Still battling flu-like symptoms and due to Covid-19 I am self isolating for 7 days.

This is D2 Depth Drop variation

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 7

19 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 200kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 8.5kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

22 Mar

9 stretches

6 x ~60 yard sprints (9.33, 8.83, 8.48, 8.26, 8.29, 8.26)
      Split Stance Squat, 3 sets

I was getting over an illness so had to double up my sessions, still not 100% here but getting there.

23 Mar

9 stretches

24 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 200kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL 3 sets
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 10kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

The more I repeat this the more I appreciate the programming. Superset D is tough on my knees as I don’t have a box to land on, so I have to fall back to the ground and land on my patio. Based on experience I don’t think I’m far from developing knee problems but for now I feel completely fine.

I will be taking my ladder to the courts for week 4 and measuring my max vert, but given this is the loading phase with quite a lot of lifting I wouldn’t expect to be setting a new PB (currently 26.75″ / 68cm).

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 8

26 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 Max ISO Hold 210kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 12.5kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

27 Mar

9 stretches

29 Mar

6 x ~60 yard sprints (9.9, 9.08, 8.38, 8.44, 8.33, 8.43)
      Split Stance Squat, 3 sets

Wet ground so the sprints were a little slower, felt sluggish on the courts as this is my 4th week of heavy training.

30 Mar

9 stretches

31 Mar

Dynamic Warmup
      B1-3 Agility Drills
      C1 SL Max ISO Hold 135kg
      C2 Resistance Band Jumps
      D2 Depth Drop variation
      Hex DL/RDL 3 sets
      Unilateral Osc Squat – 15kg DB’s
      SL Calf superset

Great final session but the fatigue is obvious in my legs so it’ll be nice to have a break.

Here’s the slope I’ve been sprinting on.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

PHASE 3

WEEK 9

2-3 Apr

Deload. I had an epsom salts bath, did additional mobility and one light cardio session.

5 Apr

3 Jump Variations – 3 sets each
      Jump Practice – 10 mins
      RLESS Variation – 3 sets

Good session, nice to be back. I managed a 67cm/26.4″ vert from a 2 step approach during the warm up, then didn’t better that the whole session. Technique is still hit and miss, I feel like I could hit one jump perfectly and get another 1.5 inches.

6 Apr

Core/balance/feet supersets

7 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Lateral Exercises – 3 sets each
      Jump Squat variation – 4 sets
      Squat/Jump superset – 4 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets
      Balance Exercise – 2 sets

Great workout, the lateral exercises took a bit of getting used to, I had to refer back to the video a few times between sets to be sure I’m doing the right thing. I don’t play basketball but this will have great carryover to rugby once I start that up again.

Here’s the 293cm from a 2 step, only 11.8cm/4.6″ from the rim.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 10

9 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

10 Apr

12 Apr

Jump Practice – 10 mins
      RLESS Variation – 3 sets

13 Apr

14 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

Superb week of training, loving this so much. I hit a 2cm personal best on the Sunday session and feel like I’m getting slightly more explosive each week rather than more run down. Here’s my new best vert, 70cm / 27.5″

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 11

16 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

17 Apr

19 Apr

Jump Practice – 15 mins
      RLESS Variation – 3 sets

I felt quite flat in this session but was still getting close to my PB. I trained before 11am and I think I’m most powerful early afternoon, but also there’s a touch of fatigue coming through from the weekly training load. I’m less optimistic about jumping well next Sunday but also more confident that after a deload I’ll be adding at least an inch to my PB.

20 Apr

21 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

In my Squat/Jump superset I’ve now set up a hoop in my garden and I was a few inches down on the 21st compared to the 16th. My legs are starting to feel a little heavy again and these are also earlier in the day so I’m not concerned.

Here’s a jump from the 16th, I edited it to show how high I jump relative to myself. This wasn’t my best of the day and the hoop is around 298cm (touching it would mean a 72cm vert).

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 12

23 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

24 Apr

26 Apr

Jump Practice – 10 mins
      RLESS Variation – 3 sets

I did one max effort during warm up and noticed I had really good air time, which made me immediately optimistic about the jump practice. I tried a 2 step approach and broke my PB by 1cm, then the very next jump from a longer approach added another 2cm, taking me to a 73cm PB. A few jumps later I touched my marker at 74cm, which is where my PB now stands. That’s just over 29″ and means I’ve added 6cm/2.3″ to my PB on this program and improved by 9cm/3.5″ since week 0.

I thought I could trouble 30″ after my deload, so to do this a week early while still in hard training is encouraging. I did feel superb so I won’t be disheartened if I don’t jump higher next week.

27 Apr

28 Apr

OH Squat – 2 sets
      Lateral Exercises – 2 sets each
      Reverse Plank – 3 sets

Terrible weather, wet surface meant my lateral exercises had to be heavily modified and were less effective. My jumps in the superset had to go from a longer approach to just a 2 step, but I still feel like I had a good session.

Here’s my 73cm PB. I didn’t celebrate because of the PB, it was about what it meant for the next 5 weeks knowing that I still had clear areas to improve.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

PHASE 4

WEEK 13

29 Apr – 1 May

Deload days, I had an epsom salt bath and did an extra mobility routine. I’m rehabbing my ankle so there was no light cardio, though I could have done some rowing if I really wanted to.

2 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      1st Step Exercise – 3 sets
      Weighted DB Skip – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Step Up Variation – 3 sets
      Jump Practice – 10 mins

I was hesitant about this session because the moves looked like they required a lot of coordination but I found them manageable and enjoyable.

3 May

Additional ankle exercise – 2 sets

There’s less emphasis on the foot and ankles now so I’m adding in my own exercises. This is something he suggests you do later in the program as he gives you the freedom to choose what you want rather than programming everything you do.

4 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Agility drill – 4 sets
      Bounding – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Weighted Pistol Variation – 3 sets
      RDL – 6 x 60kg, 2 x 6 x 70kg

Another enjoyable session, bounding is very high impact and my technique needs some work. I was impressed with my change of direction in the agility drill, it’s very clear I’ve improved and it’s a shame I didn’t do some sort of test in week 0 to show how much better I am now.

Here’s the RDL, I appreciate how much you can improve without weights but I still love lifting and was pleased to see this feature

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 14

6 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Lateral Band Exercise – 3 sets
      SL Jump – 3 sets
      Bounding Series – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 70kg

First time doing this session and I really liked it.

7 May

9 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Jump Practice – 10 mins

10 May

11 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Agility drill – 4 sets
      Bounding – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

My back was troubling me the day before this and it was made worse by trying to be too explosive coming up from RDL, so it was fast on the way up but not max intent.

The week as a whole was tougher on my body than I expected. It’s the “Spring” phase so I thought it would feel like a 4 week taper where I would go through each session feeling light on my feet and more explosive. I’m quite achey day to day which could be down to the hard surface I jump on because it’s joints more than muscles. I’m stepping up my rehab and taking cold showers a few hours after the hard sessions.

Here’s the “hurdle” jumps from 6th May, I have to use a cone because I don’t have real hurdles.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 15

13 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      SL Jump – 3 sets
      Bounding Series – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 70kg

14 May

16 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Jump Practice – 10 mins

I didn’t even take my ladder to the court because I feel so far from a PB. I had one or two jumps that looked decent but I also had some that looked worse than week 0. It’s an interesting choice to program the practice jumps after all the other exercises, the step up in particular really taxes my legs.

17 May

18 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Agility drill – 4 sets
      Bounding – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

I used a metronome for RDL and did 3010 tempo which helped get my rhythm. This was a good session, I’m quite run down and have been making the extra effort to eat right but today was borderline fresh.

Next week will be the end of phase 4! I’ve still enjoyed the exercises but it’s been a bit demoralising being so far from setting a PB and that’s meant shifting focus to completing each session to the best of my ability and recovering well between sessions too.

Here are the hurdle jumps from today

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 16

20 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      SL Jump – 3 sets
      Bounding Series – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

21 May

23 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
      Jump Technique – 15 mins

I changed the last exercise, choosing instead to go back to Phase 1 and do some jump mechanics before trying a few 2 step and full approaches. This was much better and I was rediscovering the technique that made me feel so springy. Still no PB unfortunately.

24 May

25 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      Agility drill – 4 sets
      Bounding – 1.5 sets (adductor injury)

I am gutted. I had already planned a week of rest because I could tell my body is tired and needs a break. I tried to get a little extra distance off my right foot in the bounds and I had a sharp pain in my upper thigh. I immediately walked home and iced it, then took an ice bath, now it’s compressed and elevated while I plan my rehab. By the descriptions it unfortunately looks like a grade 2, which could mean 8 weeks out. The most frustrating part about that is I would need to start from an earlier phase rather than picking up where I left off.

Here are some hurdle jumps from earlier in the week.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

ADDUCTOR REHAB

Injured on 25 May ~3pm

It’s probably a strong Grade 1 and my best estimate is 2-3 weeks.

26 May

Foam Roll healthy leg

28 May

Tried the VCE Foam Roll & Dynamic WU, some discomfort during the foam rolling, A-Skips were fine but I was unable to do jumping jacks at all.

29 May

Epsom Salt Bath – 25 mins (hot!!)

30 May

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU – very minor discomfort during the foam roll of adductors, also able to do jumping jacks with no pain.

Walk 400m
      Jog 1 mile @ 15:30 pace
      Walk 400m

I wanted to log the walk because it’s not a guarantee that I can do things like that. I walked to a nearby park and did a very tentative jog at near enough walking pace, having to stop every minute or so to shake my leg out. I could tell if I increased speed even slightly the injury was troubling me. I was in lycra shorts but the thigh wasn’t strapped in any way.

31 May

Running warm up

Walk 400m
      Jog 2 miles @ 10:30, 9:45 pace
      Walk 400m

Static Stretching

This isn’t that much faster than yesterday, the main difference was not stopping at all. I did notice my leg warmed up after 3/4 mile and I picked up the pace, it’s still very much a plod than a full run so I’m not getting ahead of myself. I had stopped static stretching because it was listed as optional and he said it isn’t that important, but I feel better including it again.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

ADDUCTOR REHAB WEEK 2

1 Jun

Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
      Phase 5 Core workout
      Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

I took the stretches from earlier phases and put them back on core days, also choosing a foot conditioning drill to do too. This all went fine and my leg didn’t bother me.

2 Jun

Banded Lateral – 3 sets
      Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Banded HS/Glute Move – 3 sets
      Long Duration Jumps – 2 sets
      Jog 1.5 miles @ 8:30/mi pace

I picked some of the phase 5 moves that don’t involve explosive lateral movement and again I got through it unscathed. I finished with some jogging and was pleased enough with my pace that I stopped early.

3 Jun

Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
      Phase 5 Core workout
      Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

I did the same again just to keep in some sort of shape.

4 Jun

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      2 step and full approach jumps ~12

I went to the court to see what shape I was in. I managed to hit my marker at 65cm, 66cm, 68cm and 70cm then called it quits. When I got back I felt like I’d made my injury a little bit worse, so I had another epsom salt bath and planned to jump again ~48 hours before starting phase 5 so I don’t go into it with a weakened leg.

7 Jun

Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      2 step and full approach jumps ~12

I set it at 65cm (height jumped in week 0) which I managed from a lazy two step approach, then 68cm (previous PB going into Vert Code Elite) again with a strong contact. After flapping about at 72cm I put it to 70.5cm which I got from a 2 step. I realised my full approach is weak because I’m not accelerating into it, so I started taking more composed steps and then attacking the penultimate. I touched my marker at 72cm then with the final jump of the session I got 73cm (28.75″) which is 1cm off my PB.

I was checking the video every few attempts and it was obvious I was not extending properly into the penultimate, but as this would mean extending my injured leg I didn’t want to risk anything so I let myself do the more reserved technique. I feel a bit tender now and will probably hold at 90% effort for the first few sessions back before really committing, but I decided beforehand I’d only feel up for Phase 5 if I could get 72cm and I went a little better so I’m confident about going on.

Here’s me touching the marker at 73cm, which is 4cm from the rim and 1cm off my all time PB which was set in week 12 (end of phase 3)

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

PHASE 5

WEEK 17

9 Jun

A1 Resistance Band Lateral – 3 sets
      A2 Lateral Step w Jump – 3 sets
      B1 Res. Band Block Step – 3 sets
      B2 Bound to Jump – 3 sets
      C1 Hex Hang Pull – 3 sets 60kg, 1 set 70kg
      C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 2 sets 100kg, 2 sets 110kg
      D1 Rhythm Squats – 3 sets
      D2 Banded Pull Through – 3 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – 1:45, 2:00, 2:15

Well, that was a lot. My adductor was 90+% but I held back slightly, I really like the block step exercise because I can see so much room for improvement in the technique he recommends compared to what I do currently. I like the hang pull too, I didn’t bother with a high pull because I’ve never done them before whereas I’ve done years of hang power cleans so a hang pull is comfortable. I did feel a twinge on the back of my knee doing the sets of several minutes jumping at the end.

10 Jun

Foam Roll, 11 stretches, 4 Core Exercises, 1 Foot Conditioning Drill

I’ve revisited earlier phases to stay on top of my stretching, I also intend to do the optional third session a week of this.

11 Jun

2x Resistance Band Drills – 3 sets
      Cone Drill – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 3 sets
      A1 SL DB Jump – 4 sets
      A2 SL takeoff – 4 sets
      B1 SLRDL variation – 4 sets
      B2 SL Broad Jump to SL Vert – 4 sets (2.5m, 60cm)
      Weighted Reverse Plank – 3 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 120 secs

Long jumping was much better this time. A few drills could have done with a hurdle so I’ve made one and will be using it next week.

12 Jun

Running – 1.25 miles in 8:30/mi pace

I really neglect my cardio so I put in a token 10-12 minute run this week and I want to keep doing it.

14 Jun

C1 Hex Hang Pull – 1 set 70kg, 3 sets 72.5kg
      C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 4 sets 120kg
      Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 2:15

Great session, I feel 100% and I smashed through it. Hang pulls are a touch light so I added another 2.5kg, maybe 75kg is still better. The same with the split stance squat, I had a few reps where I left the ground and that doesn’t help my knees when I land again. I bloody love this workout, I’d do that year round if I could.

Here is SL Bound to SL Vert, I put a piece of table to jump over. I measured the distance from the cone to the base and then I measured the height of it, which is the two numbers in brackets (2.5m, 60cm). I will look to push myself and extend those numbers across the coming weeks.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 18

15 Jun

16 Jun

C1 Hex Hang Pull – 4 sets
      C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 4 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – 2:15, 2:30, 2:30

17 Jun

18 Jun

2x Resistance Band Drills – 2 sets
      Cone Drill – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 3 sets
      A1 SL DB Jump – 4 sets
      A2 SL takeoff – 4 sets
      B2 SL Broad Jump to SL Vert – 4 sets (2.6m, 70cm)
      Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 90 secs

My Achilles was troubling me so I did the minimum on sub max jumping. I started measuring my SL takeoff and I managed 58cm and 60cm, which is a PB simply because I’ve never measured it before. I have since watched the jump tutorial and I can certainly clean my technique up and get another few inches.

19 Jun

Rowing – 3km in 2:16/500m pace

I’ve rushed into high volume work and my Achilles is tender, so instead of running I dusted off my erg and did some low impact rowing.

21 Jun

C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 2 sets*
      Sub Max Jumping (in shoes) – 1:30, 2:00, 2:15

*I misread this exercise and I’d been doing 4 sets instead of 3, so I balanced it out with 2 sets today.

My Achilles was fine, I can feel it but it didn’t get any worse and it’s only really the pogo jumps where I could tell it was being worked. It just dawned on me that the first two supersets are dedicated to improving my block step so I was paying extra attention to shin angle etc. I had been doing the sub max jumps in socks but I kept my trainers on to lessen the impact on my Achilles. I have tightness in the very upper, upper part of my adductor which I can feel when I try a really aggressive long penultimate, so I held back a little in this. It’s not about doing the splits in mid air anyway, you can get just as much force by jumping into it.

Here’s the split stance squats I’d been overdoing in the first session.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 19

23 Jun

C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 4 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – SKIPPED

My Achilles continues to be a minor problem so I thought I could skip the sub max jumps and allow it a bit of time to rest.

24 Jun

Foam Roll, 4 Core Exercises, 1 Foot Conditioning Drill

I took the stretches out because I’ve possibly been dealing with minor strains in my adductors and hip flexors and I don’t want to make them worse.

25 Jun

Cone Drill – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 3 sets
      A1 SL DB Jump – 4 sets
      A2 SL takeoff – 4 sets
      B2 SL Broad Jump to SL Vert – 4 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – 3 x 90 secs

There was no benefit to trying to max out my SL broad jump so I stopped measuring it.

26 Jun

Foam Roll, 4 Core Exercises

28 Jun

Running Vert – ~70cm
      C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Split Stance 1/4 Squat – 3 sets
      Sub Max Jumping (in shoes) – 2:00, 2:00

I have been carrying small injuries through the last week and I know how important it is to give near 100% in the exercises so I wanted to make sure I wasn’t subconsciously holding back. I did 3-4 jumps after my warm up and managed to get within about 4cm of my PB without really committing to the jump, so I was very pleased. I’ll continue to put the work in and test my vert properly after the deload on 9th July.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 20

30 Jun

B1 Res. Band Block Step – 6 sets
      B2 Bound to Jump – ground was too wet
      C2 Pogo Jumps – 1 set (stopped due to Achilles pain)
      Sub Max Jumping – SKIPPED

I’m not having a good time with this Achilles tendinopathy, I know now that pogo jumps cause the most problem so I stopped as soon as I felt it getting worse. It doesn’t impede me in any of the other exercises which is nice.

1 Jul

Foam Roll, 3 Core Exercises

Really bare bones stuff, one of the exercises causes me to stress my hip flexor/groin which has also been bothering me if I do too big a range of motion, and I have no intention of soldiering on through Phase 6 with niggling injuries so I want to be 100% by then.

2 Jul

Cone Drill – 3 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 3 sets
      A1 SL DB Jump – 4 sets
      A2 SL takeoff – 4 sets (62cm, 63cm, 64cm)
      B2 SL Broad Jump to SL Vert – 4 sets
      Sub Max Jumping – 120,150,150 secs

I iced my Achilles an extra few times and also have some Gua Sha tools which my massage therapist recommended for Achilles problems. It felt much better and I barely noticed it in the session. There was a PJF podcast about barefoot training on softer surfaces and that’s what I did here, doubling up a towel to jump on instead of my rubber gym mat.

I had a lot more coordination for my single leg takeoffs and I added 4cm to my PB, taking it to 64cm/25.2″. Here’s how that looked

3 Jul

Foam Roll, 4 Core Exercises

I used my ab wheel in place of the one that bothers my hip.

5 Jul

C2 Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Sub Max Jumping (grass) – 2:30, 3:00, 2:30

Great session! No pain, no real discomfort and a few of the exercises clicked for me a little more than usual. I completed the pogo jumps without a problem and I did the long jumping on grass for up to 3 minutes with no issues.

Tomorrow I will have an Epsom salt bath, Tuesday I’m giving plasma for a Covid trial and 48 hours after that I should be cleared to test my vertical (9th July). I have laser tattoo removal on the Saturday which requires a 24 hour bandage on my torso, meaning my first session of Phase 6 is likely to be Monday 13th.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

9 Jul

Vert Test – 20+ jumps with a best of 71cm/28″

I shouldn’t take it for granted that I can consistently jump 70cm+ each week, I didn’t feel amazing or springy today so it was a solid effort.

PHASE 6

WEEK 21

12 Jul

Single Step Accel – 2 sets
      Diagonal Step/Bound – 3 sets
      Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 6 per side, LR = 70cm, RL = below 68cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 120kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

I know my jumps are weaker going right-left, so I measured each separately. I couldn’t even touch 68cm which in hindsight was a high starting point considering there’s a clear difference between each side (i.e. certainly 2cm+). I had to do some hex DL and my adductors on both sides felt very weak, and they continued to feel weak during RLESS.

14 Jul

Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
      Hamstring ISO – 3 sets
      Resistance Band Adductor – 15 x 3 sec ISO
      Back Squat – 8 x 60kg, 8 x 70kg, 8 x 80kg, 8 x 85kg

My adductors were having none of it in the warm up and they were so tender I wouldn’t trust myself to jump on the spot, let alone do sprints and bounds. I did the final two exercises of what should be Day 3, then I did some adductor work to warm them up before trying some squats.

WEEK 21 (take 2)

16 Jul

Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 18 mins working on block foot
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 125kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

I reviewed the practice jumps when I got home and was annoyed that there were clear improvements I could have made at the time if I’d known. While I was angling my block foot well, it was planted too far from my penultimate. I also wasn’t sure which arm to reach with depending on the approach but watching the vid one was clearly far more natural than the other. Work to be done.

17 Jul

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets
      Rowing Machine – 3km in 2:10/500m pace

Great session this, my hips are a mess and need this sort of strengthening and mobility. I finished with a 3km row instead of a jog, it was meant to be a chilled pace but I took it out a bit fast and felt obligated to maintain it.

19 Jul

Sprint – 6 x 54m in 8.85, 9.06, 8.15, 8.38, 8.21, 8.49
      Speed Hops – 4 x 20m per leg. Left: best of 4.30, Right: best of 4.61
      Broad Jump to Bound – 3 sets
      Speed Skater Variation – 2 sets
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
      Hamstring ISO – 3 sets

The sprints were in phase 2 (?) and my fastest was 8.26 so I was taken aback at my 8.15 given the ground was wet and I was holding back. I sprinted at Uni and I could tell I was really covering ground in my acceleration so I believe it was a legit time. To be fair the times are still slow, I’ll go to a track either next week or the one after and see what I can really do. Speed hops were also at 90% and I was ecstatic to get through the session feeling so good. The broad jumps and hurdle jumps were also from previous phases, so far less new content.

20 Jul

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets

21 Jul

Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 15 total, RL = 67cm, LR = 73cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 130kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

My hip flexors are still knackered from the hopping on Day 3 but I could still move around. My jumps were better, I worked on “push”, “punch” cues as well as accelerating through the jump. Only 1cm off my PB with a left-right takeoff, I moved it to 75cm rather than try to match my PB but wasn’t able to touch it. Hex DL was better, my adductors are getting stronger each session and I’m adding 5kg every time.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 22

23 Jul

Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 15 total, RL = 67cm, LR = 72cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 135kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

This was 48 hours after an identical session and I didn’t feel as sharp. I’m really pleased with my ability to consistently jump near my PB and it’s nice to be progressing the hex bar deadlifts by 5-10kg a week.

24 Jul

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets

No rowing this time round, I have tightness in my hips and groin.

26 Jul

Sprint – 8 x 54m in 9.26, 8.44, 8.10, 7.95, 8.00, 7.99, 8.04, 8.02
      Speed Hops – 4 x 20m per leg. Left: best of 4.31, Right: best of 4.44
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
      Hamstring ISO – 3 sets

If you’d seen me warming up for my sprints you’d tell me to not do the session. I’m really having to overcome a lot of tightness in the adductors, this time it was my left leg that hampered me. I modified my running mechanics and needed several pre-warm up runs before running at 50-75% pace for the first official timed run. Really happy to run sub 8 given how much I was running within myself and I’m ready to do a proper track session next weekend.

27 Jul

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets

28 Jul

Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 12 total, RL = 69cm, LR = 72cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 140kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

My body is finally adapting to the workload and my legs felt fresh and unrestricted today. I improved by 2cm on my weaker side but wasn’t able to match my PB jumping left-right. I don’t mind this because I wasn’t feeling that springy and I trained at 11am instead of 2pm, and I know I jump better early afternoon.

This was a great week, I’ve been down about minor niggling injuries but I feel better now and confident that my body is capable of perhaps 31.5″ by the end of summer.

Here are my single leg speed hops from a standing start. I was going about 90-95% with all the adductor problems.

Fraser_9to5Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 23

30 Jul

Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 15 total, failed at RL 70cm and LR = 73cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 140kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

I was a LONG way from getting those practice jump heights, I watched the videos back and I was flapping away at the air. Deadlifts were pushing it, I had to use my straps for one set, I felt a bit flat today.

31 Jul

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets
      Row 3km in 2:18/500m pace

Really leisurely row, not trying to push it.

2 Aug

Sprint – 10 x 60m(?) in 9.47, 8.70, 8.49, 8.26, ?, 8.13, 8.31, ?, 8.26, 8.45
      Speed Hops – 4 x 20m per leg
      Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
      Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
      Hamstring ISO – 3 sets

Who knows what distance that was, I paced it out as 60m but when I measured it after the session I got ~62m. I did this on a proper track and it was so nice to accelerate properly in sprint spikes. I was wary of pulling a muscle so I sat at 95% for most of the runs.

3 Aug

Hip/Hamstring Superset
      Ab/Hip Superset
      Lower Abs – 3 sets
      Lower Back – 2 sets

4 Aug
      AM Barefoot Walking – 1 mile in 20 mins
      Skip Bounds – 4 sets
      Practice Jumps – 10 total, LR = 67cm
      Triple CC – 4 sets, 130kg Hex DL
      Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
      Agility Drill – 2 sets

Not at the races today. I’m reading “Born to Run” and it advocates barefoot walking/running to strengthen the foot so I did a mile in the morning. I felt my adductor stretch a bit doing a RL approach so I focused on LR today while also holding back. I had no spring and was barely able to touch 67cm, which was initially set up for my weaker RL jumps. I’m not concerned at all, when I trained in sprinting I’d have days where I was completely off the pace. You don’t magically lose your power and spring in a couple of days so I’ve taken an epsom salt bath and might push the next session back a day to let my legs rest.

Here’s one of my track sprints

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.