Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020)

Viewing 2 posts - 36 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

MAINTENANCE / TAPER

Since I’m stopping VCE after 8 of 12 phases it’s not fair to immediately test my vert and consider that to be what the program delivered. I know the CNS takes longer than muscles to fully recover so I scheduled some shorter maintenance sessions (adapted from Vert Shock) which I will do for 2-3 weeks, testing my vert once a week.

15 Oct

Around The Square – 3 x 4
      Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
      180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
      Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

I forgot how great it feels to do tuck jumps, the reactive ball of the foot contact must surely translate well to jumping.

17 Oct

Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
      Single Leg Box Jumps – 2 x 8
      Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

I took depth jumps out of this because those are very demanding on the CNS and the goal is to give mine a break.

18 Oct

Uphill Sprints – 4 x 20m
      Uphill broad jumps – 15,15,12

I had to do these on a side road and needed to bail from the final set as a car was coming. I’m rarely that out of breath following VCE but 15 broad jumps do it for me.

19 Oct

Foam roll, 11 stretches
      A1 Deadbug Rocker – 3 x 8
      A2 Mini Band Ankle Turn – 3 x 25
      Toe Raises – 3 x 8 x 3 secs
      SL ball of foot turn – 3 x 6

I was picking a selection from the Phase 1 core/mobility day.

20 Oct

Vert Test – 25 jumps, best of 73cm/28.75″

Beyond the warm up I stuck with a LR plant as that gets me the most height. I got quite high walking into a 2 step approach and only slightly better from a full approach. I uploaded everything to YouTube so people could give me feedback ahead of next Tuesday, the video is below. I felt good but not amazing so I’m still hopefully that with another week of rest I can get higher (PB is 74cm).

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

22 Oct

Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
        Speed Skaters – 2 x 15 per side
        180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
        Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

23 Oct

Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

25 Oct

Grass Sprints – 4 x 20m
        Broad Jumps -3 x 15

26 Oct

Foam Roll + 11 stretches
        A1 Deadbug Rocker – 3 x 8
        A2 Mini Band Ankle Turn – 3 x 25
        Toe Raises – 3 x 8 x 3 secs
        SL ball of foot turn – 3 x 6

28 Oct

Vert Test – 25 jumps, best of 73cm/28.75″

I managed the same height as last week despite feeling much fresher, which was frustrating. I don’t know if I spent too long ramping up from a 68cm target as I’ve previously found that my first 3-5 jumps are best.

I want to give it one more attempt so I’ll do slightly less volume and test again.

30 Oct

Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
        Speed Skaters – 2 x 15 per side
        180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
        Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

31 Oct

Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

4 Nov

Vert Test – 15 jumps, best of ??

This was a car crash. The last two weeks I started at 68cm (I blu tack a target on the rim at the right height) and worked up, this time I thought I’d “open” at 70cm. Never touched it. I don’t know what happened between now and last week but I was just aimlessly flapping and not getting good height at all. I finished early because if I struggled so much at 70cm it was very unlikely I was going to beat 74cm.

A little depressing to end on a low, I’m happier with my decision to not go on with phase 9 and to instead focus on technique.

My Achilles troubled me a few months ago and I never gave it an extended period to heal so I’ll probably take 4-6 weeks with no plyometrics and then start from scratch. I had success with Phases 1-4 so there’s no reason I can’t repeat those and modify where I want.

Viewing 2 posts - 36 through 37 (of 37 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.