Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 356 through 360 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Grip Training (December 2021) #10888
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      10 Jan

      Power Pinch: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
      Power Grip: 3 x 8 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 7 x 5 secs

      I meant to do 7 reps of power grip, hence 7 of sock stretch, but accidentally did too many. This was too difficult and I wasn’t fully closing the gripper on some reps.

      12 Jan

      Power Pinch: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
      Power Grip: 3 x 8 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 7 x 5 secs

      Did I reduce the volume after making a mistake? Pfft no, stuck with 8 reps and coped better. My first set was submaximal but strong enough to close the gripper, whereas before I was doing max effort each time.

      14 Jan

      Power Pinch: 2 x 6 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 7 x 5 secs

      A bit overloaded here, didn’t have the strength so cut the session short.

      16 Jan

      Left: 54.4, 53.5, 54.6
      Right: 52.8, 51.1, 53.8

      My left hand is catching up but I’m still sitting at ~54kg which I did two weeks ago.

      17 Jan

      Power Pinch: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
      Power Grip: 3 x 10 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 10 x 5 secs

      I felt good after the Friday half session so extended out to the full 10 reps.

      19 Jan

      Power Pinch: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
      Power Grip: 3 x 10 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 10 x 5 secs

      21 Jan

      Power Pinch: 3 x 7 x 5 secs
      Power Grip: 3 x 10 x 5 secs
      Sock Stretch: 10 x 5 secs

      I tried a 7th rep on the power pinch but afterwards I felt like I’d mildly strained both little fingers. It really is a case of being caution with this kind of training.

      23 Jan

      Left: 54.1, 53.2, 52.8
      Right: 50.1, 52.1, 52.3

      That’s the worst sequence with my right hand in about a month but not far off my best with left hand. I was noticeably sore in both forearms and I’m probably overreaching and need to ease back. I don’t mind short periods of hard training but I’m clearly not recovering in 48 hours so I’ll take it easy next week. I did 2 mins per forearm with a massage gun and they feel much better, definitely no grip tomorrow and maybe 2 sets on Wed & Fri.

      in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10861
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        10 Jan

        A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 65kg
        A2 UH Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 65kg
        B1 Push Press – 3 x 7 x 50kg
        B2 Pull ups – 3 x 7
        C1 L-Sit – 3 x 15 secs
        C2 Russian Twists – 3 x 30 x 10kg

        12 Jan

        A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 65kg
        A2 Underhand Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 65kg
        B1 Push Press – 3 x 7 x 50kg
        B2 Pull ups – 3 x 7
        C1 L-Sit – 3 x 20 secs
        C2 Russian Twists – 3 x 30 x 15kg

        15kg was a bit much, I had no real stability moving the weight.

        15 Jan

        EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 4 x 8 x 28.5kg
        EZ Bicep Curls – 4 x 8 x 31kg
        MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg

        I did my MCL so was a bit worried about getting into position for skull crushers with a heavy weight.

        17 Jan

        A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 67.5kg
        A2 UH Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 67.5kg
        B1 Push Press – 3 x 8 x 50kg
        B2 Pull ups – 3 x 8

        A bit jerky with the rows, also had to skip weights due to my knee. So pleased I could do the full session though.

        19 Jan

        A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 67.5kg
        A2 Underhand Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 67.5kg
        B1 Push Press – 3 x 8 x 50kg
        B2 Pull ups – 3 x 8

        Quite tough, I can’t really push with my knee so push press is a lot closer to a strict press.

        22 Jan

        EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 4 x 8 x 31kg
        EZ Bicep Curls – 4 x 8 x 31kg
        MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg

        Good week of training, I can probably bench 70kg next week but not row it. EZ bar work can go up to 33.5kg too.

        in reply to: 2022 Training Log #10859
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          11 Jan

          SL Line Hops – 2 x fwd/bwd x 15 secs, 2 x left/right x 15 secs
          Front Squat – 5 x 65kg, 3 x 75kg, 10 x 82.5kg
          Straight Legged Deadlifts – 5 x 10 x 52.5kg

          INJURED

          I’ve never had this before but it’s a sharp pain on the inside of my knee which I’ve self diagnosed as an MCL strain. It’s almost certainly the line hops to blame, but weirdly I didn’t feel anything during my workout and only later was it bothering me. Since it wasn’t clear what caused it I downplayed it and continued climbing stairs, walking, crouching etc. and assuming it’ll be fine in the morning, but that made it wayyyy worse.

          REHAB – MCL Strain (?)

          15 Jan

          Heel slides – 3 x 10
          Seated Straight Leg Raise – 4 x 10
          Dead bugs – 3 x 10
          Single Leg Stand – 3 x 30 secs

          I have a copy of the BMA (British Medical Association) guide to injuries and have been following that. This is their “early rehab” and I managed all of them pain free.

          17 Jan

          Low Box Step Ups – 3 x 15 per leg
          Bird Dogs – NO!

          Well.. that specific movement is a no go for my knee.

          18 Jan

          AM – walking 1.2 miles
          PM – walking 1.5 miles

          I ordered a knee brace and have been wearing it since the evening of the 16th, but took it off to try walking. It’s part of the next stage of rehab, and 20 minutes pain free is the goal. I did two walks to see how I’ll feel the next day, as the morning one was very slow (40 mins).

          19 Jan

          AM – walking 1.2 miles
          Low Box Step Ups – 3 x 15 per leg

          My leg feels no better in the last 3-4 days so I’m a little concerned about what recovery timeframe I’m looking at. I’ve only really had muscle injuries so this is new to me. If there’s no improvement this week I’ll see a doctor early next week. My knee felt worse doing the low box step ups today than on the 17th so I didn’t do my second walk. I’m probably getting ahead of myself and should still be in Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation mode. Frustrating.

          in reply to: Grip Training (December 2021) #10746
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            26 Dec

            Left: 51.6, 49.2, 51.9
            Right: 54.3, 51.1, 52.6

            27 Dec

            Power Pinch: 3 x 3 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 4 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 5 x 5 secs

            The sock stretch is for the finger extensors, and consists of spreading my fingers while inside the elastic part of an athletic sock. There are specially designed bands for this but a sock or the sleeve of a hoodie works fine.

            29 Dec

            Power Pinch: 3 x 4 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 5 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 5 x 5 secs

            Time to start adding reps.

            31 Dec

            Power Pinch: 3 x 4 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 5 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 5 x 5 secs

            2 Jan 2022

            Left: 54.5, 50.3, 51.9
            Right: 53.2, 56.4, 54.3

            I can tell just by how it feels that my grip is stronger, getting a nice linear gain so far.

            3 Jan

            Power Pinch: 3 x 4 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 5 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 5 x 5 secs

            5 Jan

            Power Pinch: 3 x 5 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 6 x 5 secs

            Added a rep again else I’ll be doing this for months.

            7 Jan

            Power Pinch: 3 x 5 x 5 secs
            Power Grip: 3 x 6 x 5 secs
            Sock Stretch: 6 x 5 secs

            9 Jan

            Left: 54.5, 54.3, 49.9
            Right: 54.1, 53.1, 50.1

            I used a massage gun on my forearms prior to the final set and I’m pretty sure that sapped my max strength. I initially squeezed 47kg with each arm but ruled that one out and waited another few minutes. Interesting why that might be the case, it was a light pummelling on level 3 with the cushioned head, and of course my expectation was that it would improve things slightly.

            That takes me to about 4 weeks and I think 8-9 weeks will be a nice stopping point, so around 60 days.

            in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10745
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              GPP (4 week block)

              3 Jan 2022

              A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 60kg
              A2 Underhand Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 60kg
              B1 Push Press – 3 x 5 x 50kg
              B2 Pull ups – 3 x 6
              V situps – 3 x 15
              Russian Twists – 3 x 20 x 10kg

              I know a rule of thumb is that you should be able to row what you can bench, so I kept both at 60kg. For push press I couldn’t be bothered to take my 15kg plates off the bar so I used that and was disappointed I couldn’t do 8 reps.

              5 Jan

              A1 Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 62.5kg
              A2 Underhand Barbell Rows – 4 x 8 x 62.5kg
              B1 Push Press – 3 x 6 x 50kg
              B2 Pull ups – 3 x 6
              V situps – 3 x 15
              Russian Twists – 3 x 30 x 10kg

              Quite quick to jump up the weight and will probably do the same next week. My 1RM should still be about 100kg so 60kg is quite comfortable.

              8 Jan

              EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 4 x 8 x 33.5kg
              EZ Bicep Curls – 4 x 8 x 26kg
              MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
              Planks (1 arm 1 leg) – 3 x 60 secs

              I must have miscalculated last time because 33.5kg was a bit too heavy for me, 31kg must be what I meant to write. Bicep curls can go heavier, but overall a solid week of training.

            Viewing 5 posts - 356 through 360 (of 722 total)