Pre-Season Fitness for Soccer (Apr 2019)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Fraser_9to5 Fraser_9to5 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

This is a 5 week program designed to improve endurance and fitness for soccer. I’m using Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 as a template and blending in a few other resources I have to make up the difference.

Starting Stats (1st April)

Weight: 74.2kg
    Estimated 1RM squat test: 5 x 120kg (135kg)
    Broad Jump: 252cm
    Standing Vert CMJ: 53.5cm
    Bleep Test: Lvl 9 shuttle 11
    QC Step Test VO2: 50.8
    Peak Exp Flow: 735 L/min

Funnily enough I got Lvl 9-11 this time last year filming a comparison of VO2max tests, so that shows what my baseline fitness is when I don’t work on it at all.

Days 1-7 are meant to be run Mon-Sun so that the Saturday aligns with potential team training, but for me this is purely an experiment to see how much it helps and so I shifted it to suit my work schedule.

4 Apr
    Bench Press – 2 x 3 x 95kg
    Incline DB Bench Press – 17, 15 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 8 x 40kg, 2 x 8 x 35kg
    A2 Rear Delt Flyes – 3 x 8 x 3.5kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 9,9,8 x 33.5kg

5 Apr
    General warm up + Mobility
    Frequency Drills
    Grass Runs: 10 x 10m, 6 x 20m, 4 x 40m (rest 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins)

Really liked the grass runs, I ran 60/100m at university and I love the feeling of acceleration. Pleased with my pace too given I’m an old man now.

7 Apr
    Hex Bar Deadlift – 2 x 3 x 130kg
    Hip Thrusts – 3 x 10 x 100kg
    Sprinter sit-ups – 3 x 20
    Conditioning – 100 Swings (20kg), 75 Jump Squats in 9 mins 48 secs

Gassed from conditioning, I wanted to avoid hammering one muscle group too heavily so I blended two conditioning challenges into one. Hip thrusts felt strong, deadlift wasn’t that hard but the program states it’s not maximal.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

8 Apr

Push Ups – 26, 19, 17
    A1 Chin Ups – 3 x 9
    A2 Res. Band Face Pulls – 3 x 10
    DB Military Press – 10,10,9,9 x 20kg
    B1 BB Shrug – 10 x 60kg, 10,10 x 70kg
    B2 DB Tricep Extension – 15,12,10 x 13.5kg
    Swiss Ball Sit Ups – 3 x 12 x 15kg

9 Apr

Frequency Drills
    Grass Shuttle Runs: 3 x 3 mins (4 mins rest)

It was humbling how tired I was after 45 seconds of the first shuttle run, my fitness is appalling despite lifting weights and looking in okay shape. If I’m honest I could have pushed it more, I accepted a level of heavy breathing but didn’t try and run myself into the ground – will make sure to do that next week.

Overall it’s been a good week of training, I felt the sprints went really well and while I was initially concerned that the first conditioning session would be too easy that opinion didn’t last long. Ideally to maximise fitness levels I would be doing three of those conditioning sessions per week but this was designed for the amateur footballer who plays in Sunday league and doesn’t have time to do 2-a-day sessions like a pro.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

11 Apr

Incline DB Bench Press – 15, 13 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 4 x 8 x 35kg
    A2 Rear Delt Flyes – 4 x 8 x 3.5kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 12,11,10 x 31kg

I could tell in the warm up I wasn’t as strong as last week and it showed in the lower reps on incline press. Managed a bit more volume than last week though.

12 Apr

Frequency Drills
    Grass Runs: 10 x 10m, 6 x 20m, 3 x 40m* (rest 1 min, 2 mins, 4 mins)

On the third rep of 40m I got to around 20-25 metres and felt my right hamstring go. I’ve had enough hamstring pulls (6-8?) over the years to know that this one was quite bad. It was a combination of dehydration from not taking water with me and the uneven surface which probably caused it. I immediately picked up all my stuff and hobbled home to ice it. Over the next day and a bit I iced it for 8 lots of 20 mins, spaced 2+ hours apart. I’m on crutches and expect to need at least two weeks before I can do a light jog, but hopefully some gentle physio work before that time.

14 Apr

Sprinter sit-ups – 3 x 20

The only part of the session I could do and even then it was modified to put no strain on my hamstring. I plan to do as much of the upper body session tomorrow as I can without feeling any kind of twinge in my hamstring, likely a seated version of some exercises. I hate being injured.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

15 Apr

Push ups – 22,19,18
    A1 Chin up – 3 x 9
    A2 Res. Band Face Pulls – 3 x 10
    Lateral Raises – 12,12,10,12 x 3.5kg
    B1 BB Shrugs – 3 x 10 x 70kg
    B2 DB Tricep Ext – 15,12,11 x 13.5kg
    Weighted Sit ups – 2 x 12 x 15kg

I switched from shoulder press to lateral raise and did the barbell shrugs with my injured leg kneeling on a bench, making sure my torso is still perpendicular to the floor. Pleased to get through that.

16 Apr

Indoor Rowing (Upper body only) – 4 x 3 mins (4 mins) in 2:20-2:25/500m pace

So pleased I can do a fitness session, and a tiring one at that. I put my good leg in the straps and kept it straight, leaving my injured leg free and bent at 90 degrees so there’s no strain when I lean forward for each stroke. Really surprised by the pace I can hold with only my upper body, biceps were tired but I got my heart rate up to 160 so it’s a great alternative to the shuttle runs. I was going to switch running for rowing if the weather was terrible but this injury has given me another reason to include it.

I will do some lower body rehab on Friday and probably repeat the rowing machine session instead of the speed session. I’m off crutches but I can’t walk very fast and have a small limp. I tried a two leg lying bridge with no pain and plan to follow these exercises to measure my progress https://thebarbellphysio.com/ultimate-guide-hamstring-strain-rehabilitation/

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

18 Apr

Incline DB Bench Press – 15, 13 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 3 x 8 x 35kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 13,11,9 x 31kg

19 Apr

Single Leg Bridge – 4 x 10

Part of the hamstring progression, these didn’t even feel like they were activating my hamstring.

21 Apr

Hamstring Bridge Walkouts – 3 x 5
    Hamstring Stretch – 1 minute

Wow, now these are definitely working the hamstring. I walked out until my knees were almost straight and I could tell I was very close to tweaking it again so I reduced the range of my steps. I like these enough to put them in as a more advanced warm up once my leg is healed, and the plan is to do some two leg work with a swiss ball in a few days time.

22 Apr

Stretches – Hamstring spectrum, Holding Large Globe, Long Quad, Human Pinwheel
    Push ups – 26, 21, 20
    A1 Chin up – 9,9,9
    A2 Face Pull – 10,10,10
    Lat Raises – 4 x 12 x 3.5kg
    B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 70kg
    B2 DB Tricep Ext – 3 x 12 x 13.5kg

I’m having to pay less attention to my leg in the gym when doing upper body, and I can walk without a limp at an average pace. The stretches are from The Permanent Pain Cure, which I still fall back on to this day for some of my stretches https://9to5strength.com/permanent-pain-cure-book-review/. Days of inactivity and perhaps the use of crutches has meant I feel a lot of tightness in my lower and mid back, as well as calves. I read some research that stretching 4x day means faster recovery than 1x day but I haven’t found the time yet.

23 Apr

Running warm up – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdU4GhdQf0
    Grass Shuttle Runs: 3 x 4 mins (4 mins rest)

I am so pleased I could complete this session. The first run was a little tentative but the other two were done at the same pace as my runs two weeks ago and the fact I can’t jog very fast meant I paced myself much better. I completed one full shuttle and got to the far 18 yard box on the second run (shuttles are 18 yd, halfway, other 18 yd, full pitch). I stayed away from any discomfort and going from crutches to jogging in 11 days is faster than I expected to progress.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

25 Apr

Stretches – Hamstring spectrum, Holding Large Globe, General Quad, Calf, Shin, Sole of Foot

Incline DB Bench Press – 17, 13 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 3 x 8 x 35kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 12,11,11 x 31kg

26 Apr

Swiss Ball HS Curl (assisted) – 1 x 10
    Hamstring Bridge Walkouts – 2 x 10

Swiss ball curl was causing discomfort in the injured hamstring and I completed one set of 10 with my arms holding a squat rack to reduce the effort the legs put in before switching to walkouts. The walkouts were much better than last week and I consider that Phase 2 completed from this recovery protocol https://thebarbellphysio.com/ultimate-guide-hamstring-strain-rehabilitation/ maybe 5-7 days before I want to try the swiss ball though.

28 Apr

Hex Bar DL – 2 x 3 x 130kg
    Hip Thrusts – 10 x 60kg, 2 x 10 x 70kg
    Sprinter Sit ups – 3 x 20

I skipped the conditioning as it was KB swings and my leg had done enough. Hex bar was back to what I lifted in week 1 while hip thrusts were at 70kg vs 100kg in week 1. This time next week I’ll do conditioning meaning I’m almost doing all of WS4SB 3 except for the sprint session.

29 Apr

Push ups – 30, 22, 18
    A1 Chin up – 10,9,9
    A2 Face Pull – 10,10,10
    B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 75kg
    B2 DB Tricep Ext – 3 x 15 x 13.5kg
    Swiss Ball Situps – 3 x 12 x 20kg

Good session, felt strong. Upped the shrugs, completed all reps of tricep extension and brought back the ab exercise. This is Week 4 Day 5 and even with my injury I am probably going to end up fitter by the end of week 5.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

30 Apr

Grass Shuttle Runs: 4 x 4 mins (4 mins rest)

Completed this with no concern at all that it might damage my hamstring, I was able to run relaxed and whatever pace I wanted. I check my watch at the point I was completing my 3 minute runs in week 1 and recently it’s been ~2:50 but the first rep I went through in 2:33 then the rest back at 2:50 pace. I pushed myself quite hard and was briefly on the floor after a few reps before getting up and walking it off.

2 May

Incline DB Bench Press – 16, 13 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 3 x 9 x 35kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 12 x 31kg

Start of week 5. The upper body is very manageable, this session was no more than 45 minutes thanks to the superset. Bench press is maintenance, meaning the goal is to maintain my current strength rather than progress it and that seems to be effective.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

3 May

Hex Bar DL – 2 x 3 x 130kg
    Swiss Ball HS Curl – 2 x 10
    Hip Thrusts – 3 x 10 x 90kg
    Sprinter Sit ups – 3 x 20
    Conditioning: Jump Squats 150 in 7:36 (cramp)

I needed 3 sets of HS curls to “complete” the next level but I was clearly capable of that so moved on to hip thrusts. I got calf cramp during jump squats so they took a lot longer. This session is two days early as I have a super busy day on the 5th.

6 May

Pushups – 23,22,21
    A1 Chin Ups – 3 x 10
    A2 Face Pulls – 3 x 10
    B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 80kg
    B2 DB Tri Ext – 3 x 10 x 15kg
    Swiss Ball Situps – 3 x 12 x 20kg

Good session, flying up for chin ups and shrugs were strong too.

7 May

Grass Shuttle Runs: 4 x 4 mins (3 mins rest)

Similar pace to last week but with a minute less rest. When I do something like this I think back to a book on habits where there’s three zones: comfort, stretch and stress. You panic yourself in the stress zone by trying too much and you don’t change at all in your comfort zone. I was trying to keep a pace that meant my breathing was uncomfortable but not extreme and not letting up for the whole 4 minutes. I can tell from the pace I go through the first rep in that my fitness is in a better place than week 1.

Fraser_9to5
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

Starting Stats (1st April)

Weight: 74.2kg
    Estimated 1RM squat test: 5 x 120kg (135kg)
    Broad Jump: 252cm
    Standing Vert CMJ: 53.5cm
    Peak Exp Flow: 735 L/min

Finishing Stats (11-12th May)

Weight: 73.5kg
    Estimated 1RM squat test: 2 x 120kg (123kg)
    Broad Jump: N/A
    Standing Vert CMJ: N/A
    Peak Exp Flow: 745 L/min

After all this I ended up scoring the same in both the step test and the bleep test, and slightly better in Peak Flow. With my hamstring injury I was never going to do well in the strength & power tests, so I didn’t even bother trying a broad jump or CMJ as it’s not a fair comparison. I gave squats a go and my T-spine felt weak which made me stop after two reps.

Overall I would change a few things before suggesting this program to others, which I’ll address in more detail when I make a video:
    1) aerobic to Interval Training should be 4:1, while this had no aerobic. I would add in a 30-40 minute run once a week of steady state.
    2) Without being biased by tearing my hamstring, the sprints aren’t ideal. To minimise risk of injury I would cut it off at 20m and maybe only do 8 x 10m, 4 x 20m in the first session and build that volume up too.
    3) The program assumes we have some strength to hold on to, in the way it uses a 2 x 3 scheme for the big lifts. The friend who requested this hasn’t been to the gym all year so for him I would simply put in 3 x 6-8 of a main lift instead. I wouldn’t have new trainees go straight into moderately heavy triples.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.