Pre-Season Fitness for Soccer (Apr 2019)

Viewing 4 posts - 6 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

25 Apr

Stretches – Hamstring spectrum, Holding Large Globe, General Quad, Calf, Shin, Sole of Foot

Bench Press – 2 x 3 x 95kg
      Incline DB Bench Press – 17, 13 x 25kg
      A1 DB Rows – 3 x 8 x 35kg
      A2 Rear Delt Flyes – 3 x 8 x 3.5kg
      EZ Bar Curls – 12,11,11 x 31kg

26 Apr

Swiss Ball HS Curl (assisted) – 1 x 10
      Hamstring Bridge Walkouts – 2 x 10

Swiss ball curl was causing discomfort in the injured hamstring and I completed one set of 10 with my arms holding a squat rack to reduce the effort the legs put in before switching to walkouts. The walkouts were much better than last week and I consider that Phase 2 completed from this recovery protocol https://thebarbellphysio.com/ultimate-guide-hamstring-strain-rehabilitation/ maybe 5-7 days before I want to try the swiss ball though.

28 Apr

Hex Bar DL – 2 x 3 x 130kg
      Hip Thrusts – 10 x 60kg, 2 x 10 x 70kg
      Sprinter Sit ups – 3 x 20

I skipped the conditioning as it was KB swings and my leg had done enough. Hex bar was back to what I lifted in week 1 while hip thrusts were at 70kg vs 100kg in week 1. This time next week I’ll do conditioning meaning I’m almost doing all of WS4SB 3 except for the sprint session.

29 Apr

Push ups – 30, 22, 18
      A1 Chin up – 10,9,9
      A2 Face Pull – 10,10,10
      Lat Raises – 4 x 12 x 3.5kg
      B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 75kg
      B2 DB Tricep Ext – 3 x 15 x 13.5kg
      Swiss Ball Situps – 3 x 12 x 20kg

Good session, felt strong. Upped the shrugs, completed all reps of tricep extension and brought back the ab exercise. This is Week 4 Day 5 and even with my injury I am probably going to end up fitter by the end of week 5.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

30 Apr

Running warm up – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdU4GhdQf0
        Grass Shuttle Runs: 4 x 4 mins (4 mins rest)

Completed this with no concern at all that it might damage my hamstring, I was able to run relaxed and whatever pace I wanted. I check my watch at the point I was completing my 3 minute runs in week 1 and recently it’s been ~2:50 but the first rep I went through in 2:33 then the rest back at 2:50 pace. I pushed myself quite hard and was briefly on the floor after a few reps before getting up and walking it off.

2 May

Bench Press – 2 x 3 x 95kg
        Incline DB Bench Press – 16, 13 x 25kg
        A1 DB Rows – 3 x 9 x 35kg
        A2 Rear Delt Flyes – 3 x 8 x 3.5kg
        EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 12 x 31kg

Start of week 5. The upper body is very manageable, this session was no more than 45 minutes thanks to the superset. Bench press is maintenance, meaning the goal is to maintain my current strength rather than progress it and that seems to be effective.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

3 May

Hex Bar DL – 2 x 3 x 130kg
          Swiss Ball HS Curl – 2 x 10
          Hip Thrusts – 3 x 10 x 90kg
          Sprinter Sit ups – 3 x 20
          Conditioning: Jump Squats 150 in 7:36 (cramp)

I needed 3 sets of HS curls to “complete” the next level but I was clearly capable of that so moved on to hip thrusts. I got calf cramp during jump squats so they took a lot longer. This session is two days early as I have a super busy day on the 5th.

6 May

Pushups – 23,22,21
          A1 Chin Ups – 3 x 10
          A2 Face Pulls – 3 x 10
          Lat Raises – 4 x 12 x 3.5kg
          B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 80kg
          B2 DB Tri Ext – 3 x 10 x 15kg
          Swiss Ball Situps – 3 x 12 x 20kg

Good session, flying up for chin ups and shrugs were strong too.

7 May

Running warm up – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdU4GhdQf0
          Grass Shuttle Runs: 4 x 4 mins (3 mins rest)

Similar pace to last week but with a minute less rest. When I do something like this I think back to a book on habits where there’s three zones: comfort, stretch and stress. You panic yourself in the stress zone by trying too much and you don’t change at all in your comfort zone. I was trying to keep a pace that meant my breathing was uncomfortable but not extreme and not letting up for the whole 4 minutes. I can tell from the pace I go through the first rep in that my fitness is in a better place than week 1.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

Starting Stats (1st April)

Weight: 74.2kg
            Estimated 1RM squat test: 5 x 120kg (135kg)
            Broad Jump: 252cm
            Standing Vert CMJ: 53.5cm
            Bleep Test: Lvl 9 shuttle 11
            QC Step Test VO2: 50.8
            Peak Exp Flow: 735 L/min

Finishing Stats (11-12th May)

Weight: 73.5kg
            Estimated 1RM squat test: 2 x 120kg (123kg)
            Broad Jump: N/A
            Standing Vert CMJ: N/A
            Bleep Test: Lvl 9 shuttle 11
            QC Step Test VO2: 50.8
            Peak Exp Flow: 745 L/min

After all this I ended up scoring the same in both the step test and the bleep test, and slightly better in Peak Flow. With my hamstring injury I was never going to do well in the strength & power tests, so I didn’t even bother trying a broad jump or CMJ as it’s not a fair comparison. I gave squats a go and my T-spine felt weak which made me stop after two reps.

Overall I would change a few things before suggesting this program to others, which I’ll address in more detail when I make a video:
            1) aerobic to Interval Training should be 4:1, while this had no aerobic. I would add in a 30-40 minute run once a week of steady state.
            2) Without being biased by tearing my hamstring, the sprints aren’t ideal. To minimise risk of injury I would cut it off at 20m and maybe only do 8 x 10m, 4 x 20m in the first session and build that volume up too.
            3) The program assumes we have some strength to hold on to, in the way it uses a 2 x 3 scheme for the big lifts. The friend who requested this hasn’t been to the gym all year so for him I would simply put in 3 x 6-8 of a main lift instead. I wouldn’t have new trainees go straight into moderately heavy triples.

Viewing 4 posts - 6 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.