Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 361 through 365 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2022 Training Log #10744
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      4 Jan

      Around The Square – 3 x 4
      Front Squat – 3 x 62.5kg, 3 x 70kg, 10 x 80kg
      Straight Legged Deadlifts – 5 x 10 x 52.5kg

      Hitting a set of 10 on the front squats was quite tough, and my grip nearly gave out from the deadlifts.

      6 Jan

      Straight Legged Deadlifts – 3 x 50kg, 3 x 57.5kg, 10 x 65kg
      Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 62.5kg
      Single Leg Calf Raises – 3 x 16 x BW

      9 Jan

      Running – 5 x 300m in 57 secs (3 mins)
      (6 mins)
      3 x 200m in 36,36,34 secs

      When I run I break it down into a per 100m pace. As a sprint athlete our coach would add 1 second for every 100m run at “tempo” pace. 100m would be 15 secs, 200 in 32 secs (16 secs per 100m), 300m in 51 secs (17 secs per 100m) and so on. I’ve been doing 20 secs per 100m previously because I wanted to do a mile at that pace, and the plan was to start at 400m reps and add 100m when I feel fit enough.

      You can’t keep me away from faster running for long, so I went round 300m in 19 secs/100m and after a break I chose to resume with some faster 200’s. It was only on the last rep that I remember my old training and how I should be doing these in 32 secs, so I found a middle ground and ran a 34 second 200m. It’s very likely that I’ll mix in some shorter runs on this session as 20 secs per 100m is such a plod for me.

      in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10730
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 11

        22 Dec

        Technical Throws – 10 x 10
        26,28,2×30,32,34,2×36,38ft
        Heavy Throws – 4 x 5 x 950g
        Skull Crushers – 4 x 8 x 28.5kg
        Pull ups – 6 x 6
        Hollow Rock – 6 x 25 secs

        For my technical throws I’m now aiming for a point on the wall that represents crossbar height. If I get consistently near it I move back a few feet. I found having slightly offset thumbs (so one is about an inch above the other) and finishing the throw with my hands in the direction of the target helped a lot. I went straight into my other midweek session as I missed a few days of training.

        WEEK 12

        27 Dec

        Technical Throws – 20
        Throw ins (Session 21) – 10 throws, median 19.9m
        MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
        Pull ups – 6 x 6
        DB Pullover – 4 x 8 x 8.5kg
        Resistance Band ISO hold – 3 x 3 x 15 secs

        29 Dec

        Technical Throws – 2 x 10
        36ft, 36-42ft
        MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg

        Absolutely sodden ground, soaking wet so a waste of a session. Instead of 10 of each distance I moved a few feet every time I hit the target exactly. Good to know for future sessions that 40ft+ is possible.

        1 Jan

        Technical Throws – 20
        Throw Ins (Session 22) – median 18.95m
        MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
        Skull Crushers – 3 x 8 x 31kg
        BB Rows – 3 x 8 x 50kg
        Pull ups – 3 x 6
        Seated Plate Twist – 3 x 20 x 5kg (20 touches, 10 per side)

        I got discouraged by a really poor series of throws and set about overhauling my whole training. It’s possibly an overreaction, but I want to approach this like javelin training in which case there would be some periodisation. It’s currently a mish mash of strength, power, technical drills and could do with some structure.

        I’ve written up a GPP style plan which I will run for 4 weeks, it’s a very basic strength template with bench press, rows, overhead pressing and pull ups.

        in reply to: 2022 Training Log #10729
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          Oh, and I’ll be 35 years old in March.

          28 Dec 2021

          Around The Square – 3 x 4
          Front Squat – 5 x 57.5kg, 5 x 65kg, 10 x 75kg
          Straight Legged Deadlifts – 5 x 10 x 50kg

          30 Dec

          Straight Legged Deadlifts – 5 x 47.5kg, 5 x 55kg, 10 x 62.5kg
          Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 62.5kg
          Single Leg Calf Raises – 3 x 16 x BW

          I opted for a top set of 10, if I aim for a big number I end up doing incomplete reps. I love boring but big, I’m keeping 2 minutes rest and the weight I’m using aligns with the first set of week 2 for that lift.

          2 Jan 2022

          Running – 2 x 1 mile (5 mins rest), 7:49, 7:21

          I usually do repeat 400’s but I’m drawing on a rowing program I once did that mixed in faster interval work with slower steady stuff. I was at the track and When I started running I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do, but after a lap I decided on a mile rep. I have no idea what I’m capable of so I was aiming for an 8 minute mile and sped up at the end when I realised it was well within my capability. The next rep I didn’t have a target in mind I just wanted to push a little harder, it was still relatively easy and a hard rep would perhaps be a 6:30 mile.

          in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10547
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            PHASE 2

            I sat down and took everything I’ve tried so far and structured it into three distinct sessions, which I’ll repeat each week.

            WEEK 10

            14 Dec

            Throw In Technique – 10 x 10
            22, 23, 24, 3 x 25, 2 x 27, 28, 29ft

            Time to really progress these. If I consistently hit on/near the target with my 10 throws I go further back. In the YouTube video Thomas Gronnemark spoke about trying to hit the crossbar from the 18 yard box (54 feet) so next session I’ll probably move back in multiples of 2 feet else I’ll never get there.

            15 Dec

            Heavy Throws – 4 x 5 x 950g
            EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 5 x 10 x 23.5kg
            Pull ups – 8 x 5
            Hollow Rock – 5 x 25 secs

            Since I have a technical drill day I also wanted one with more muscle building exercises.

            18 Dec

            Throw In Technique – 20 throws
            Throw Ins (Session 20) – 10 throws, median 19.25m
            MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
            Pull ups – 8 x 5
            Pullovers – 4 x 8 x 15kg plate
            Resistance Band Throw In ISO – 3 x 15 secs

            I borrowed the concept of isometric –> eccentric –> concentric from my vertical jump training and held a resistance band in the throw in position (while holding a ball). I started with two 20m+ throws so to end with a median of low 19’s was disappointing. I’ll no doubt tweak the sessions from here but I’m more confident this is generally the right way to go.

            in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10546
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              14 Dec

              Front squat – 5 x 62.5kg, 3 x 70kg, 10 x 77.5kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 50kg
              Stomach Vacuums – 6 x 10 secs

              I went quite aggressive here with the final set and was pleased to reach double figures. I might skip ahead again in 5/3/1 as I’m itching to lift something heavy.

              16 Dec

              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 52.5kg, 3 x 60kg, 6 x 67.5kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 62.5kg
              SL Calf Raises – 3 x 15 x BW

              Grip was a problem again, I’ve started a protocol to improve it so hopefully not an issue too many more times. The jump to 62.5kg was tough, some pausing between reps is creeping in but I’m holding at 2 mins rest.

              19 Dec

              Running – 3 x 400m, 2 x 400m (3 mins / 5 mins)
              Times: 1:20, 1:24, 1:20, 1:20, 1:20

              The second rep was too slow a start and I never recovered. I thought my stopwatch didn’t start so I slowed down and then went through 100m in 22 secs. It was another tough last rep but I like to challenge my CV fitness.

              Next week will be an easy one as I’m heavy legged

            Viewing 5 posts - 361 through 365 (of 722 total)