Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 366 through 370 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10543
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 8

      29 Nov

      Throw In Technique – 20 throws
      Throw Ins (Session 18) – 10 throws, median 18.7m
      MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
      EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 5 x 10 x 21kg
      Pull ups – 6 x 5

      It was 2 degrees in my garden and my fingertips were numb after the first throw. This had a big impact on my ability to grip the ball, which led to some very poor misthrows. I wanted to wake up my triceps with skull crushers but not go too heavy, but this ended up giving me about 6 days of DOMS πŸ™‚

      3 Dec

      Pull ups – 3 x 6
      Machine Rows – 3 x 8 x 25kg per side

      I was doing a leg session in a public gym and threw in some upper body

      WEEK 9

      8 Dec

      Throw In Technique – 100 throws

      I was aiming for a metal structure as part of a basketball hoop and standing 22-24ft away. I do get the sense this is very valuable practice and an important part of a well rounded program.

      11 Dec

      Throw In Technique – 20 throws
      Throw Ins (Session 19) – 10 throws, median 19.45m
      MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
      Pull ups – 7 x 5

      It was a little warmer today but still 4-5 degrees and I had some misthrows (travelling about 15m). I did however set a new personal best of 21.4m. I haven’t hit a really nice throw yet and when I do I feel I have another metre or more to go. I’m also restricting myself to a 2.5 metre run up and even extending that to 3 metres will probably make a big difference.

      in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10534
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        3 Dec

        Front squat – 3 x 57.5kg, 3 x 65kg, 9 x 75kg
        Around The Square – 3 x 4
        Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 47.5kg

        9 Dec

        Straight Leg DL – 3 x 50kg, 3 x 55kg, 6 x 62.5kg
        Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 60kg
        SL Calf Raises – 3 x 15 x BW

        My grip failed me after 6 reps, a shame it’s the limiting factor but if I wear straps it only limits my true grip more.

        12 Dec

        Running – 5 x 400m (3 mins)
        Times: 1:24, 1:20, 1:20, 1:20, 1:20

        Much better conditions this time, I set off a bit slow on the first rep and halfway round it was 42 secs so I settled for going round in 21s/100m. Beyond that I was really pleased, especially the final rep as I didn’t want to do it and it was a tough final 150m.

        If my journal goes back that far I will check what I used to do, but I believe it was extending out the distance at 20s/100m to reps at 500m, 600m etc. I used to do 1.6-2.4km of tempo running when I was a sprinter so doing 6 x 400m seems like a reasonable target, then turning that into 4 x 600m. I spoke to a guy at the track about joining a club, I will be a Masters athlete (35+) soon and I’d like to see what I can sign up to.

        in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10510
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 7

          22 Nov

          Throw In Technique – 20 throws
          Throw Ins (Session 16) – 10 throws, median 19.9m
          MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
          Pull ups – 3 x 6

          23 Nov

          Sports Massage – 60 mins

          My shoulders and chest were very tight and I’ve developed internally rotated shoulders from my time hunched over my laptop. She did a good amount of work on them and I bought a set of trigger balls to keep on top of my chest from here. Likely to go see her again in Jan/Feb

          27 Nov

          Throw In Technique – 20 throws
          Throw Ins (Session 17) – 10 throws, median 20.2m
          MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
          Pull ups – 3 x 7

          I’ve hit a 21 metre throw in each of the last three sessions and I felt like I could go another 1-2 metres if I caught one nicely. Still working on backspin during release and my grip is decent. I feel like the weighted ball work will add the most distance from here.

          in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10509
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            25 Nov

            Front Squat – 5 x 52.5kg, 5 x 62.5kg, 10 x 70kg
            Around the Square – 3 x 4
            Straight Leg Deadlift – 5 x 10 x 47.5kg

            I skipped another 5/3/1 so it’s more challenging, would also like my straight leg DL to get to 50kg so I can ditch the 10kg plates.

            28 Nov

            Running – 3 x 400m, 2 x 400m (3 mins, 6 mins)
            Times: 1:28, 1:24, 1:28 1:28, 1:32

            What is scarily now more than 10 years ago I trained for my county decathlon championships and for the 1500m run I used to go round in 20 secs per 100m as long as I could. It was 1 degree and a stiff wind so I did repeats at 21-22 second 100m pace. The back straight was more like 24 seconds because of the wind, so on a still day I might get better times. It was certainly more the endurance than the pace, as 20 secs is very fluid and controlled for me.

            in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10508
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              9 Nov

              Front Squat – 3 x 55kg, 3 x 62.5kg, 12 x 70kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 45kg

              11 Nov

              Straight Leg DL – 3 x 45kg, 3 x 52.5kg, 13 x 57.5kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 55kg
              SL Calf Raises – 3 x 12 x BW

              14 Nov

              Rest. I was short on time and unable to do the rowing.

              16 Nov

              Front Squat – 5 x 57.5kg, 3 x 65kg, 8 x 72.5kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 45kg

              18 Nov

              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 50kg, 3 x 55kg, 8 x 62.5kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 57.5kg
              SL Calf Raises – 3 x 14 x BW

              I’m still sitting around 6/10 effort for these sessions. I wanted to give myself a low starting point as it’s been a while since I’ve lifted consistently, but I’m in a position now where I might skip ahead. For the time being I moved front squats out to 57.5kg and could probably have done 60kg without much strain.

              I’m trying to pack on mass on my legs and it feels like this isn’t enough stimulation, so weights and calories will go up next week.

              21 Nov

              Running – 2.8 miles in 30:42

              This was my first run since moving house and I just wanted to scout out the area. It included a few bits of walking where I got lost and had to backtrack, but it was an okay route. The true loop is more like 2.5 miles if I go the right way.

            Viewing 5 posts - 366 through 370 (of 722 total)