Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 371 through 375 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10507
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 6

      15 Nov

      Throw Ins (Session 14.1) – 10 throws, median 19.45m
      Heavy Throw ins – 5 x 950g, median 15.7m
      Throw Ins (Session 14.2) – 10 throws, median 20.1m
      Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg

      I filled an unwanted football with water to about 1kg, then weighed it later. This was in Thomas Gronnemark’s YT video on improving throws, using a heavier ball then switching to a lighter ball. I thought it went well and the extra training meant that I dropped core work this week.

      17 Nov

      Throw In Technique – 100 throws

      I was aiming at a basketball hoop with the intention of saving myself from running after the ball 100 times. Again from a Thomas Gronnemark video, the focus was on backspin as the ball is released and he suggests aiming for a crossbar. A basketball hoop is a bit higher than a crossbar (10ft vs 8ft) but it’s more about the release. I thought it went well, around 45-50 it was really clicking for me and the ball had a flatter trajectory.

      20 Nov

      Throw In Technique – 20 throws
      Throw Ins (Session 15) – 10 throws, median 20.0m
      Heavy Throw ins – 4 x 5 x 950g, median ~15.5, 16, 16, 16.5m
      Pull ups – 3 x 8

      I did a few technical throws to get the feel of backspin again before my 10 max effort. They went well, I hit 21 metres for the first time and had several others in the high 20’s. The heavy throw ins went well too, I was only going to do 3 sets but I was throwing it a little further each set so added a 4th. Pull ups aren’t really related, my wife wants me to add a bit of mass to my upper body (I’m only 69kg) so I will put a few sets in.

      Here are the technical throws. The council were repairing the grass right next to me so I was limited to about 22ft but I wouldn’t have gone much further back. The challenge would be from 54ft, which is the equivalent to the edge of the 18 yard box for a crossbar.

      in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10506
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 5

        8 Nov

        Throw Ins (Session 11) – 10 throws, median 19.1m
        Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
        Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 20kg
        Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 40 secs

        10 Nov

        Throw Ins (Session 12) – 10 throws, median 19.55m
        Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
        Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 20kg
        Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 40 secs

        13 Nov

        Throw Ins (Session 13) – 10 throws, median 19.35m
        Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
        Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 25kg
        Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 40 secs

        Three of the same session, I don’t really feel like much changes but perhaps it’s a lot to expect to throw an extra metre or two from a week of training. I will look to progress my technique next week.

        in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10505
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 4

          1 Nov

          Off – I had laser tattoo removal on the Friday and so skipped sessions on the 30th and 1st.

          3 Nov

          Med Ball Slams – 3 x 5 x 5kg
          Throw Ins (Session 9) – 10 throws, median 16.5m
          Med Ball Slams – 1 x 5 x 5kg
          Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 15kg
          Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 30 secs

          These were dire, I barely got over 17m the whole session. I did two things differently, the first was that I did these at 10am with only a banana for fuel, and secondly I added 3 sets of med ball slams in the warm up. It’s likely a mixture of both so I’ll avoid anything intense prior to my throws from now on.

          6 Nov

          Throw Ins (Session 10) – 10 throws, median 19.8m
          Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
          Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 15 x 15kg
          Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 30 secs

          Much better. This included a new personal best of 20.3m. Now the one thing I changed here was that I had a coffee this morning so it’s possible caffeine has boosted my throws, but they felt great. I’ve got to a level of consistency where I don’t expect my median throw to be much different in the second set of throws, so I’m stopping after 10. There’s an argument that 20 throws is better for practicing technique but other than adding backspin I can’t see any big jumps in my technique from here.

          The med ball slams are with a Mirafit slam ball, then the swiss ball stir the pot (ABC) means I write out the alphabet with my elbows, instead of the traditional circular motion while holding a plank. I really like these three and don’t expect to change them, the next step is to add direct shoulder/arm work but that can be in a few weeks time.

          in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10504
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 3

            25 Oct

            Throw Ins (Session 7) – 10 throws, median 17.7m

            27 Oct

            Throw Ins (Session 8.1) – 10 throws, median 17.6m
            Throw Ins (Session 8.2) – 10 throws, median 17.5m

            If I’m making progress in technique it’s very slow. Next week I plan to introduce some core exercises.

            in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10503
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              2 Nov

              Front Squat – 5 x 50kg, 5 x 57.5kg, 10 x 65kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 42.5kg

              I had a week off which coincided nicely with laser tattoo removal. Still have some residual heavy leggedness so I didn’t max out on the 5+ set of front squats. I also skipped ahead in 5/3/1 so instead of the 75kg template I’m using the 77.5kg.

              4 Nov

              Straight Leg DL – 5 x 42.5kg, 5 x 50kg, 12 x 55kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 55kg
              SL Calf Raises – 3 x 12 x BW

              I filmed my last set of straight leg deadlifts because I know my knees aren’t perfect but they were better than I expected. Front squats are getting a little boost each time, 55kg feels good.

              7 Nov

              Rowing Machine – 2 x 1000m (4 mins) in 3:58, 3:59

              I wanted under 4 minutes and I was never in danger of failing. In the second rep I went through 500m in 1:56 and that was too fast so I struggled a bit in the end

            Viewing 5 posts - 371 through 375 (of 722 total)