Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 376 through 380 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10502
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      19 Oct

      Front Squat – 5 x 55kg, 3 x 62.5kg, 14 x 70kg
      Around The Square – 3 x 4
      Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 40kg

      I’ve been stopping short on the final set but I pushed it more this time, still not to failure though.

      21 Oct

      Straight Leg DL – 5 x 47.5kg, 3 x 52.5kg, 10 x 60kg
      Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 52.5kg
      SL Calf Raises – 3 x 12 x BW

      I bumped the front squat weight but I can go heavier again. I feel like I’m getting in the groove now and can start challenging myself, it’s possible I jump ahead on the 5/3/1 for front squats but probably not.

      24 Oct

      Rowing Machine – 4 x 500m (2 mins) in 1:53, 1:53, 1:56, 1:54

      I try to set a tough pace but always run the risk of blowing up and not being able to finish all four reps.

      in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10501
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 2

        18 Oct

        Throw Ins (Session 4.1) – 10 throws, median 17.5m
        Throw Ins (Session 4.2) – 10 throws, median 17.6m

        20 Oct

        Throw Ins (Session 5.1) – 10 throws, median 17.6m
        Throw Ins (Session 5.2) – 10 throws, median 18.2m

        I’m starting to get consistency, the problem before was I was trying a flat throw so it was never going much above head height to begin with which is obviously not the optimal release angle. Now I pretend I’m throwing it for someone to head in the box and I don’t try to be too clever with an aggressive run up or quick release.

        22 Oct

        Throw Ins (Session 6.1) – 10 throws, median 19.0m
        Throw Ins (Session 6.2) – 10 throws, median 17.9m

        I should note that the pitch I go to is a slight incline, while this was in my garden which is flat. That being said, I did feel really good and I got a new max effort of 19.6m and several others around that distance. I was questioning whether I will gain anything from another week of purely practicing throw ins without changing anything else but I want to stick with it and see where it takes me.

        in reply to: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021) #10500
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 0

          6 Oct

          Practice Throw Ins – 5m, 10m, 15m, 10 x ~20m

          This was a quick check to see if my garden was long enough, but even before training I’m able to throw it the full length. I have a park about 5 minutes walk from me so that’s fine to use.

          WEEK 1

          11 Oct

          Throw Ins (1) – 15.5,16.3,17.0,15.0,15.5 (foul), 15.8, 18.2, 15.3, 16.7, 16.1m

          Median Throw: 15.95m
          Best Throw: 18.20m

          I’m limiting myself to a 2.5m run up, because depending on the stadium the advertising boards can be quite close to the pitch so it’s not always possible to take a big long run up. I was quite pleased with these until I saw the Hashtag United video after and I’d come dead last for distance. This was also shorter than my garden, but that was measured quite roughly. I am on a slight incline here which I wouldn’t expect to make more than 1m difference but I could be wrong.

          13 Oct

          Throw Ins (2) – 16.7,18.1,17.0,16.9,17.1,18.6,18.8,18.3,17.6,15.0m

          Median Throw: 17.35m
          Best Throw: 18.8m

          The only change here was a proper upper body warm up (in session 1 it was the standard arm swings that footballers do) and some activation exercises. Link here.

          Throw Ins (3) – 17.6,18.2,18.6,19.0,19.1,19.4,17.7,18.5,18.6,18.0m

          Median Throw: 18.55m
          Best Throw: 19.40m

          I had 10 minutes rest, in which time I watched a video I bookmarked from none other than the Liverpool throw in coach. The two things I changed was a slightly narrower hand position, so thumbs are 3-4cm apart, and some attempt at releasing the ball with backspin. I was pleased to have such consistency but also expected more. He has a YouTube channel and afterwards I watched a few more, generally players improve by 5-15m once all his training is complete so 1.2m on my median throw is okay for a first session.

          16 Oct

          Throw Ins (4) – not measured

          These were in my garden, I feel training three times a week will be optimal.

          Drawing on my experience of vertical jump I’m not going to rush into skull crushers or med ball throws, instead I will repeat the same week, possibly multiple times, to improve through technique alone.

          Beyond that I plan to draw on the throwing events (mainly javelin) as I feel they have more to teach about long throwing than going to soccer resources.

          in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10498
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            5 Oct

            Front Squat – 5 x 47.5kg, 5 x 55kg, 12 x 62.5kg
            Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 40kg

            6 Oct

            Dominik Sky Beginner Abs – 1 set

            7 Oct

            Straight Leg DL – 5 x 40kg, 5 x 47.5kg, 11 x 52.5kg
            Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 50kg

            Decent weight for 5 x 10, not in a rush to progress

            9 Oct

            Rowing Machine – 4 x 500m (2 mins) in 1:54-1:56

            Bought a new pm3 monitor on my concept2 so I’m back to rowing.

            12 Oct

            Front Squat – 3 x 50kg, 3 x 57.5kg, 10 x 65kg
            Straight Leg DL – 5 x 10 x 40kg
            Around The Square – 3 x 4

            I’m still not maxing out on the reps, my lower back has felt a bit stiff and I probably need to stretch more outside of workouts.

            14 Oct

            Straight Leg DL – 3 x 45kg, 3 x 50kg, 8 x 57.5kg
            Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 50kg
            SL Calf Raises – 3 x 12 x BW

            Front squat was easier this time, fine to progress slightly. I’m adding in a few additional exercises as my Achilles is very tender and needs strengthening/rehab.

            16 Oct

            Rowing Machine – 4 x 500m (2 mins) in 1:54-1:56

            in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10497
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              7 Sept

              Straight Leg Deadlift – 5 x 40kg, 5 x 45kg, 10 x 50kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 42.5kg

              9 Sept

              Front Squat – 3 x 50kg, 3 x 55kg, 12 x 62.5kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg Deadlift – 5 x 10 x 32.5kg

              12 Sept

              Conditioning – Jog length, lunge width for 10 mins (~25m x 10m)

              This is from GreySkull, it’s meant to be a football field but I used a scaled down one in my parents garden.

              14 Sept

              Straight Leg Deadlift – 3 x 42.5kg, 3 x 47.5kg, 9 x 55kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 45kg

              I added 2.5kg to the Boring But Big workout and it’s still relatively comfortable.

              16 Sept

              Front Squat – 5 x 52.5kg, 3 x 60kg, 10 x 67.5kg
              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Straight Leg Deadlift – 5 x 10 x 35kg

              Still not maxing out on reps in the final set.

              19 Sept

              Treadmill – 10 mins (3 mins) 7 mins @ 7.4mph, 1 degree incline

              I have access to a treadmill and opted for that over running in the rain. I picked a pace and it ended up being too much for me so I took a brief rest before finishing the intended ~2 miles.

              21 Sept

              Straight Leg Deadlift – 5 x 45kg, 3 x 50kg, 10 x 57.5kg
              Front Squat – 5 x 10 x 47.5kg

              23 Sept

              Treadmill – 17 mins @ 7.4mph, 1 degree incline

              Same workout as before but without the break.

              27 Sept

              Treadmill – 16 mins @ 7.5mph, 1 degree incline

              This is exactly 2 miles and I’d rather do the same total distance at a faster pace than increase speed and maintain total run time.

              I’m moving house which will be 4-5 days without the time or access to a gym so I’ll pick up 5/3/1 in my new place.

            Viewing 5 posts - 376 through 380 (of 722 total)