Get Vertical Program (July 2018)

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

23 August

Depth Jump – 3 x 8 x 70cm
      DB Split Squat Jump – 3 x 8 x 7.5kg
      Power Clean – 3,3 x 82.5kg, 1 x 87.5kg, 1 x 90kg, 0 x 95kg
      Top Squat ISO – 4 x 5 x 3 secs
      Bulgarian Squat ISO – 4 x 55kg, 2 x 4 x 50kg (7 secs)

Calf Stretch – 60 secs
      TKE Stretch (P414) – 10 x 5 secs

I thought I’d try and find my 1RM in power cleans, quite disappointed it isn’t higher. Looking at my recent PB’s I haven’t gone above 85kg but at the same time it’s rarely in my program. On top of my regular stretches I added in terminal knee extension and calf stretching. This is my last bit of lower body exercise for a while and now I want to recover and prepare for the final vert test next week.

I’ll move upper body weights to tomorrow which will be the final part of the six week program, then I’ll write up a review and make a video.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

24 August

Incline Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 55kg
        Incline DB Row – 4 x 8 x 20kg
        Close Grip Bench Press – 4 x 8 x 60kg
        A1 EZ Curl – 3 x 8 x 33.5kg
        A2 Skull Crushers – 3 x 8 x 33.5kg

Busy tomorrow so did this a day early. I reduced the weight in most exercises to give myself an easier session as it’s not doing much for my vert. I think I’ll do an easy jogging session next week along with some static stretching to aid recovery in my legs.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

27 August

TKE Stretch (P414) – 10 x 5 secs
          Calf Stretch with Skipping Rope – 2 x 1 min
          Posterior Chain Floss (P409) – 40 extensions
          Toe Dorsi & Toe Plantar (P441) – 50 secs

That posterior chain floss was miraculous, my legs were really loosened up by it. I had some protein and took a hot bath after this, meaning my legs were ultra relaxed for the rest of the day. I will do a full warm-up on the 29th but no actual jumps, and then I’ll test myself on the 30th.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

30 August

If I don’t post on Sunday it’s because I couldn’t get any higher…

Vert Test (standing) – 64cm/25.2in
            Vert Test (running) – 67cm/26.4in

I had a tape measure hanging off the hoop with 5 inches spare but I touched it comfortably, so I’m calling it 26.5 inch rather than 26 inches (31 inch is me touching the rim). I felt good but not great today, took a few standing jumps to get in the groove. In both cases getting a little bit lower was effective for me. I read Kelly Baggett’s VJ Bible and as a two-footed jumper it said I rely on strength so need to take advantage of that with a lower starting position.

I’ll test my standing again on Sunday and if I can beat that I’ll go down to the court as well, otherwise that’s the 6 week program over. If I were to repeat it I’d take out the isometrics and stick in either hip thrusts, front squat or heavy hex bar deadlifts. I’d also do full squats, as that half squat crap was terrible.

Here’s a few stills and my standing jump PB

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.