2022 Training Log

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

3 July

Body-weight deep squat – 7 x ~4 mins

This was from Ido Portal’s squat challenge, with the aim being to accumulate 30 minutes a day for 30 consecutive days (it’s called the 30/30 squat challenge). This was surprisingly tough and my legs couldn’t do much more than 4 minutes at any one time. I could barely stand up from the position by the end and I was holding onto a table to stop me falling backwards.

4 July

Body-weight deep squat – 6 x 5 mins

My lower back feels weak but thoracic spine feels more mobile. This was also easier on the legs.

5 July

Body-weight deep squat – 4 x 7.5 mins

This was rushed at the end of the day and probably disrupted my sleep. For that reason it’s too much of a time commitment to fit in during my day and so I stopped here.

8 July

Running – 6.05km (3.75 miles) in 37.5 mins

Only writing this do I realise I was averaging exactly 10 minute/mile pace. I took it relatively easy and worked on nasal breathing throughout. I don’t have 4G at the moment so I couldn’t map my route with my phone so had to approximate it afterwards. I’ll try to run twice a week and introduce one weights session before I decide what my next project will be.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

13 July

Goblet Squat – 4 x 10 x 50lbs (60 secs)
        RLESS – 4 x 10 x 50lbs (90 secs)
        Jump Squats – 150 in 4:04

I have a pair of 25lb dumbbells that I used for a very quick leg circuit. I know I’ll be sore so no use going OTT in the first session.

15 July

Running – 4.85km (3 miles) in 30 mins

Surprisingly the same pace as last week despite dealing with leg DOMS. This was far less hilly, I just ran in one direction for exactly 15 minutes then turned around.

I might try two leg sessions and one run next week, maybe some plyometrics too.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

18 July

Around The Square – 3 x 4
          SLRDL – 3 x 12 x 50lbs
          RLESS – 3 x 12 x 50lbs
          SL Hip Raise – 2 x 6 x 50lbs, 11 x BW
          Goblet Squat – 3 x 15 x 50lbs

The hip raise was harder than I expected, otherwise a good leg session with a pair of DBs.

20 July

SLRDL – 3 x 12 x 50lbs
          Hip Raise – 3 x 15 x 50lbs
          CMJ – 10 reps

I added in some countermovement jumps for the explosive training.

23 July

Running – 2 x 3km (1.85 miles) in 17 mins, 19 mins

This was in the middle of a hot day and not my best idea. I ended up walking on two occasions for the second part, and in the middle I had a 5 minute rest.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

26 July

SLRDL – 3 x 12 x 50lbs
            RLESS – 3 x 12 x 50lbs
            Running Vert – 3 LR, 3 RL

I was listening to the Whoop podcast and it said rather than having moderate activity each day it’s better to have highs and lows, so I doubled up my leg day with pull ups. I was quite tired by the end but I like the idea of getting it all done at once (time permitting).

As mentioned in the pullup program I currently have a tooth infection which has been with me since 26 July (it’s now 6 August) and I’m drinking my calories and doing no exercise.

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

I had around 10 days off due to a tooth infection.

7 Aug

Rowing – Max distance in 1 minute (282m, 307m)
              Max distance in 6 minutes (1492m)

This wasn’t 100% but I’d seen an equation to estimate fast/slow twitch muscle fibres using your best from these two distances.

9 Aug

Rowing – 2km in 9 mins

11 Aug

Rowing – 2km in 9 mins

When I did an 8 week rowing program it had lots of this slow stuff in, and to build endurance it’s a necessary evil. I thought I’d add it in as a nice easy session on an otherwise quiet day.

17 Aug

Back Squat – 5 x 60, 70, 75kg
              A1 Alternate Ankle Hops – 2 x 40 secs
              A2 Med ball Slams – 2 x 5

It’s been a while since I used a barbell so a good chance to get back into it. Super light to start given you only have to touch a barbell on day one to get hideous DOMS

19 Aug

Rowing – 2:15/500m pace for 3km

Extending this out a bit as the working sets were really 13-16 mins long during the rowing training

20 Aug

10 mins jog (1 mile)
              3 x 5 mins with 3-4 mins active rest, pace 8 min/mile
              10 mins jog (1 mile)

Active rest was 400m so almost walking pace. I googled “VO2max running workout” and stumbled on this layout. I trimmed 5 mins from each job because I don’t have endless time to plod around a track. I liked the session, the middle runs are meant to be about 2 mile pace which I estimated.

21 Aug

Thigh measurement: Left 55cm, Right 55cm
              Countermovement Jump: 56cm (281cm with 225cm reach)
              CMJ – 5
              Back Squat – 5 x 70,75,80,85,90kg
              Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
              BB Hip Thrust – 3 x 8 x 60kg
              Jump Rope – 3 x 50 (60 secs)

A bit of a mixed bag but a lot of exercises I want to keep in my leg day. I’ve been ill and neglected legs so I wanted some starting measurements, weight is down around 69.2kg right now. Also curious to see how my vert tracks with back squat. I want to do 5-7 sets of back squat and I was just adding 5kg each time, I’ll end up above 100kg before it feels challenging but there’s no rush.

24 Aug

Back Squat – 5 x 75,80,85,90,95kg
              DB RLESS – 3 x 8 x 15kg

This is a shorter session during my lunch break, nice to do split squats as they light up my glutes.

27 Aug

10 mins jog (1 mile)
              3 x 5 mins with 3-4 mins active rest, pace 8 min/mile
              10 mins jog (1 mile)

Pleased that I’m already finding this easier. My left calf started seizing up but not enough to hinder my speed.

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 16 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.