Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 466 through 470 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: [Wife] 5 Week Pull-up Program #10347
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      20 Mar

      TEST DAY

      Pull ups – 0 reps

      Hardly a surprise, she managed a very slight bend in the arms but was still nowhere near achieving her first pull up. I was impressed at how much her active hand improved and that she was able to start doing negative reps, her grip strength on the 18th for her right hand was up at 38.5kg so she’s certainly stronger, just not there yet.

      in reply to: [Wife] 5 Week Pull-up Program #10346
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 4

        This marks the end of the frequency method and a return to more traditional training.

        29 Feb

        Dynamometer Grip Test 10.30am: Right 36.7kg, Left 31.3kg

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 1
        Bent Arm ISO Hold w Chin Over Bar – 0 secs
        Active Hang – 33,30,20,37 secs

        This is five max effort sets, starting with the most difficult variation you can handle, taking 2-3 mins rest. My wife managed a controlled negative, so starting at the top of a pull up and lowering slowly for a count of 3. She couldn’t hold the top position at all so she did 4 sets of active hang.

        2 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 1
        Active Hang – 12,8,8,11,9,6,5,6,2 secs

        This was a rest-pause method (15 secs rest) starting with the most difficult variation as above, and finishing when you can barely hold the active hang. She’s done deadlifts the day before and said her abs were hurting and so performance was down.

        5 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 2,1,1,1
        Active Hang – 35, 28 secs

        This was the same as the first workout of the week but with 6 sets instead of 5. She has improved enough that she can do multiple sets of negative reps, even if it’s only 1-2 reps it’s very controlled.

        WEEK 5

        It was recommended to take at least 2 days off before doing this week, which involves training 5 days in a row.

        9 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 4 x 1
        Bent Arm ISO Hold w Chin Over Bar – 0 secs
        Active Hang – 15 secs

        This looks like the end of week 4 but it’s actually 3 sets of the hardest variation you can do, then 1 set each of negative, flexed hang and deadhang. Again still unable to hold the bent arm at the top of a pull up for any amount of time.

        10 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 8 total

        You take the maximum reps you can do of the hardest exercise, multiply by 5, and do that many spread across the day, sort of a more advanced frequency method. It was my fault for not checking until late in the day that this was the session, so she only had time to fit in 8 reps.

        11 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 2
        Active Hang – 9, 2 secs

        This was the drop set day with 15 secs rest, aiming to beat the previous attempt. Her hands were really sore from all this exercise and that was the limiting factor which meant she failed the active hang pretty quickly.

        12 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 9 total

        Unable to find time to fit in all 10 quality reps so just 9 here.

        13 Mar

        Negative Rep (3 secs down) – 4 x 1
        Bent Arm ISO Hold w Chin Over Bar – 0 secs
        Active Hang – 12 secs

        The same session as the 9th.

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10344
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 27

          I’m coming back to Tuck Planche as I really want to nail it for 20 seconds then get into advanced tuck.

          8 Apr

          Tuck Planche – 15, 10 secs
          PPPu – 8,8,6
          Bent Arm Tuck Planche – 11 secs

          I did a short session on the living room floor and having had time away from tucks I started off with a personal best of 15 seconds (previous was 13 secs on 22 Jan). I’m confident I have the exercises to improve and I’ll implement them in twice weekly training and work my way to 20 seconds.

          12 Apr

          Tuck Planche – 10,9,10,5,5 secs
          Raised Planche Lean – 20, 16 secs

          I was surprised at how weak I felt when doing these and that it was a real struggle to get to 10 seconds compared to a few days earlier. Typing it up now I realised that I did circuit training with a lot of push ups and some planche lean a few days ago and that must have knackered me. I will look to train either Wed/Sat or Wed/Sun and stick to the 4-5 exercises I feel are most beneficial. I have renewed my patience but I’m expecting to hit 20 seconds by my first session of May.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10343
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            PHASE 3

            WEEK 9

            2-3 Apr

            Deload. I had an epsom salts bath, did additional mobility and one light cardio session.

            5 Apr

            3 Jump Variations – 3 sets each
            Jump Practice – 10 mins
            RLESS Variation – 3 sets

            Good session, nice to be back. I managed a 67cm/26.4″ vert from a 2 step approach during the warm up, then didn’t better that the whole session. Technique is still hit and miss, I feel like I could hit one jump perfectly and get another 1.5 inches.

            6 Apr

            Core/balance/feet supersets

            7 Apr

            OH Squat – 2 sets
            Lateral Exercises – 3 sets each
            Jump Squat variation – 4 sets
            Squat/Jump superset – 4 sets
            Reverse Plank – 3 sets
            Balance Exercise – 2 sets

            Great workout, the lateral exercises took a bit of getting used to, I had to refer back to the video a few times between sets to be sure I’m doing the right thing. I don’t play basketball but this will have great carryover to rugby once I start that up again.

            Here’s the 293cm from a 2 step, only 11.8cm/4.6″ from the rim.

            in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10342
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 23-26

              10 Mar

              Tuck to Press Handstand Practice – 10
              Headstand to Handstand Press – 5
              Hollow Body – 3 x 30 secs

              13-22 Mar

              I had a fever, trouble breathing, then whole body aches and finally an upset stomach. I didn’t do any calisthenics in that time.

              26 Mar

              Bent Arm Tuck Planche – 20,14 secs
              Tuck Planche – 8,5 secs
              Pseudo Planche Push ups – 6,6
              L-Sit High Feet – 18,15 secs

              2 Apr

              Tuck to Press Handstand Practice – 9
              Handstand Press – 6
              Pseudo Planche Pushup – 8,9,6
              L-Sit High Feet – 2 x 15 secs

              I’m comfortable in a bent/straight arm tuck but beyond that it’s new territory. I probably need to work on my handstand balance so that when I do extend into the position I can hold it.

            Viewing 5 posts - 466 through 470 (of 722 total)