2020 Training Log

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

I did 10 weeks of Jump Science 2.0 from October to mid-December 2019, then rested and re-tested my vert on 23rd December. My legs needed a longer rest and my upper body is still exclusively planche training so will be in the Full Planche log. I want to possibly repeat jump science at a higher level (I did level 3) which would mean getting back to my 2x BW squat. I’ve written myself a 4 week program that includes some jumping but has more focus on getting stronger legs (specifically quads).

7 Jan

Single Leg Around The Square – 3 x 4
      Hex Bar Jump Squats – 2 x 5 x 40kg
      Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
      Back Squat – 3 x 8 x90kg RPE 4.8 (out of 7)

I like around the square having done it in Vert Shock. Back squats were purposefully easy with another leg session in 48 hours.

9 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
      A1 Front Squat – 6 x 60kg, 6 x 65kg, 2 x 6 x 70kg
      A2 Tuck Jumps – 4 x 6
      Sissy Squats – 3 x 12 (5kg)
      Swiss Ball HS Curls – 2 x 15

A bit of complex training with plyometrics straight after a heavy lift. I’m aware the squats aren’t actually heavy yet because I’m easing myself in. I don’t know why I felt the need to hold a weight in sissy squats, I guess because I saw a video of someone using 40kg and never thought to make them weighted.

12 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
      Jump Squats – 2 x 5 x 40kg
      2 step approach – 6 per side
      Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 10,10,8
      RLESS – 8 x 40kg, 8 x 50kg, 8 x 55kg

Approaches were okay, I ended up not aiming for the hoop so I could let my feet go where they naturally want to instead of aiming for a target. Floor to ceiling jumps were intense so I prefer 8 reps only. Rear Leg Elevated Split Squat is one of my favourites because it’s so horrible, could move to 60kg next week.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

14 Jan

Single Leg Around The Square – 3 x 4
        Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
        Back Squat – 4 x 6 x 100kg RPE 5.3 (out of 7)

16 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
        A1 Front Squat – 6 x 65kg, 6 x 70kg, 6 x 75kg, 6 x 80kg
        A2 Tuck Jumps – 4 x 6
        Swiss Ball HS Curls – 18,15
        Sissy Squats – 10,11 x 6kg

Used my EZ curl bar for sissy squats, felt better. Pleased to add 5kg in every set of front squats, can probably settle around 75-80kg for a few weeks.

19 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
        2 step approach – 7 per side
        Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 3 x 8
        RLESS – 8 x 55kg, 2 x 8 x 60kg

Not focused on RLESS and missed a rep by wobbling, 60kg is tough if I reach full depth. 2 step approaches were good, jumping in the open rather than at my hoop is helping, part of me holds back when I’m getting so close to the wall.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

21 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
          Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
          Back Squat – 4 x 6 x 105kg RPE 5.8 (out of 7)

I’m ready to start bumping up these weights. If you look at my best lifts log https://strengthlevel.com/52858-9to5strength/squat you can see that my estimated 1RM floats around 125-135kg and it’s on the low end now. I want to squat 2x BW then try a higher level of Jump Science, which right now would mean 145kg.

23 Jan

Digging mud & clay – 3.5 hours

Far from being a rest day, I went to my parents to help my dad dig a trench and load the earth into a skip. There was lots of wet clay soil and it was a struggle, my calves were really tight afterwards.

26 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
          Jump Squats – 2 x 4 x 50kg
          2 step approach – 6 per side
          Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 3 x 8
          RLESS – 3 x 8 x 60kg

My hex bar had 50kg on it so I tried heavier jump squats, it might be nice to do a spectrum in case 40kg wasn’t the perfect weight for developing power. My approaches were good, I found Isaiah Rivera on YouTube and his tutorial videos for jumping made so much sense to me https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw1mvHj6NL86Pj01IeBvjWA I might test my standing vert next week and if it’s good enough I could pop to the basketball court and see if I can touch the backboard. RLESS were much stronger, I rested 90 secs between each leg and that allowed better balance and focus.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

28 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
            Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
            Back Squat – 4 x 8 x 105kg RPE 6.5 (out of 7)

Wanted to test myself with 4 x 8 and pleased to get it done. Could repeat it next week to see if RPE comes down, but more likely to try and play with 110kg.

30 Jan

SL ATS – 3 x 4
            A1 Front Squat – 6 x 70kg, 2 x 6 x 75kg, 6 x 80kg
            A2 Tuck Jumps – 4 x 6
            Swiss Ball HS Curls – 20, 18
            Sissy Squat – 18, 16

2 Feb

SL ATS – 3 x 4
            Practice Jumps – 30 mins (15-20 efforts)

Technique was good, height was disappointing. I was jumping about 58-60cm which on reflection is probably fair given fatigue in my legs from weights. The focus of these months is to get my squat strong enough to do a higher level of Jump Science, so for now measuring my height is a distraction.

Here’s my new technique:

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

4 Feb

Seated Jumps – 3 x 5
              Back Squat – 1 x 110kg, 1 x 120kg, 3 x 4 x 120kg, 7 x 110kg

I was toying with trying a 1RM but when I got to 120kg I realised I could rep it out. It was definitely tough and I couldn’t do a 4th set but I could stay at 120kg and work on increasing reps.

After this I looked ahead to the jumps program I was going to do, and it was disappointing to say the least. I then ended up watching several hours of PJF Performance on YouTube without knowing he was the author of Vert Code Elite. He seemed so knowledgeable that my mind was made up, and I bought a monthly subscription. See that in a separate journal.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.