Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

WEEK 12

15 Mar

Dorsi Drill – 3 x 15
      Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
      Wall Drill – 2 x 6
      Arm Drill – 2 x 10
      Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 2 sets
      Broad Jumps – 5
      A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
      A2 Mechanics Primer – 2 x 4
      2 step 2 footed jumps – 5 per side

A shorter session than last Monday, better this way.

16 Mar

REST

I purposefully miss one technical jumping day and one gym session each month as a rest for my body.

18 Mar

Dorsi Drill – 3 x 15
      Pogo Jumps – 5 x 20 secs
      Wall Drill – 3 x 6
      Arm Drill – 3 x 10
      Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
      Broad Jumps – 5
      2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side

19 Mar

Single Leg Hip Raise (3 sec ISO) – 2 x 8 x 25kg
      Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 3 x 8
      DB SLRDL – 3 x 6 x 8.5kg
      Hex DL Singles – 130,130,137.5,142.5,147.5,152.5,152.5, 152.5kg
      Seated Calf Raise – 40kg x 50 reps total
      L-Sit hold – 8 x 20 secs

Hex DL turned into ego lifting, should avoid 1RM and work with 80-90% at speed. I tweaked my back a little, enough to skip ab ripper x and do some L-sits instead.

20 Mar

Foam Rolling

21 Mar

Massage gun, 25 mins

New toy, gave it a whirl and really like it. I mainly pummelled my calves but did a bit of adductors and glutes, calves hurt already which is exactly how they feel after a proper sports massage.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 12+1

My plans for week 13 included a running track and a b’ball court, neither of which I can access until the 29th. It makes sense to extend this by one week so it aligns well.

22 Mar

Rest. While I want to do an extra week, the volume was probably too high at first and my body needs a rest.

23 Mar

Overhead Squat – 4 x 5 x 27.5kg
        A1 Med Ball Throws – 3 x 3
        A2 CMJ – 3 x 3
        Nordic Curls – 3 x 6
        Standing Calf Raise – 25 x 10kg
        Ab Ripper X – Half reps

25 Mar

SL Standing Calf Raise – 2 x 11
        Pogo Jumps – 3 x 20 secs
        Wall Drill – 2 x 6
        Arm Drill – 3 x 10
        Broad Jumps – 6
        2 step 2 footed jumps – 5 per side

I realised the wall drill is very similar to the mechanics primer so I don’t need both. A calf raise is also similar to the dorsi drill I was doing and I’ve used the former in the warm up.

26 Mar

Single Leg Hip Raise (3 sec ISO) – 8 x 20kg
        Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 3 x 8
        DB SLRDL – 3 x 6 x 8.5kg
        Hex Clean Pull – 5 x 2 x 80kg
        Reverse Nordics – 2 x 12
        Ab Ripper X

I went too heavy with the deadlift and would be much better with a power exercise like clean pulls, which I’ve put in their place. I tried reverse nordics for the first time and enjoyed them.

27 Mar

Foam Rolling, Massage Gun

I skipped the mobility this week but made sure to do a lot of soft tissue work.

Here are the reverse nordics

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

WEEK 13

29 Mar

Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 254cm)
          2 step jumps – 3
          4 step jumps – 3
          2 step jumps – 4

A few cm further in broad jumps, always nice to make progress. The intention was to do some full jumps but my technique immediately starts breaking down so I feel sticking to a 2 step is what’s best for me right now. I easily touched the rim, it’s certainly way down on 10ft so I will measure it next week. (edit: it’s 9ft5 or 287cm)

31 Mar

Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
          Split Jumps – 3 x 5 per side
          SL Line Hops – 3 x 20 secs per leg of Fwd/Bwd and Lateral

The seated jumps were meant to be with feet in the same stance as they’d be from a running vert but that felt really unnatural so I just did the standard ones. I landed on grass to reduce the impact, I don’t have a suitable box to jump on.

2 Apr

Flying Runs – 6 x 20m
          Shock Jumps – 4 x 5 x 100cm
          Reverse Nordics (band assist) – 3 x 15
          Dominik Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

Flying runs are top speed runs but not accelerating maximally. The idea was to reduce fatigue but having thought about it the more sensible thing would be to make the run itself a little longer, so next week I’ll do 25m. I didn’t have my stopwatch so I’ve no idea what time they were but I felt very rusty.

Someone messaged me about a good ab routine and I tried it out. I did one circuit in around 8 minutes, excluding the max. plank. I could have done more but I was worried I’d be hurting for days (I wasn’t).

3 Apr

Foam Rolling and Massage Gun

Really liking the massage gun, main target was VMO, calves, adductors and glutes.

4 Apr

7 mobility stretches

Here are my shock jumps, I wanted to avoid my heels touching which should be good for the Achilles and ankle strength.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

WEEK 14

5 Apr

Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 254cm)
            2 step jumps – 10, LR = 70cm
            Copenhagen Plank – 2 x 40 secs
            Kneeling Hip Flexor Raise – 3 x 30 secs

Repeated my broad jump best, felt slightly better this week than last. Measured the rim at 9’5, 287cm, so could work out my vert at about 70cm based on how high above it I could touch. I started this session at 9.30am because I was worried the court would be busy in the afternoon but based on my sprint session on Fridays it could be free. Next week I’ll do an afternoon session as my jumps are generally better at that time of day.

My adductor is bothering me so I added in Copenhagen plank, and I also saw a few posts about hip flexors for jumping so I added in a leg raise that can replace Kadour Ziani’s leg lifts.

7 Apr

Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
            Split Jumps – 3 x 5 per side
            SL Line Hops – 3 x 20 secs per leg of Fwd/Bwd and Lateral

This workout is surprisingly tiring because on paper it seems so simple.

9 Apr

Flying Runs – 6 x 25m (2.97,2.84,2.94,2.94,2.84,2.84)
            Shock Jumps – 3 x 5 x 100cm
            Reverse Nordics (band assist) – 3 x 12
            Dominik Sky Beginner Abs – 2 circuits

I didn’t have my stopwatch last week but had it this time. When I sprinted at Uni I could probably do 2.65, and 0.2 seconds over 25m is quite a lot. Still, I was pleased with the sequence and optimistic I can improve next week. My legs were quite sore and I wanted to reduce the volume even further, so I removed one set of shock jumps and 3 reps off the reverse nordics. I increased the ab work and this was a decent level of difficulty.

10-11 Apr

No stretching or soft tissue

It seems so weird to take a break from recovery, but my legs feel quite fatigued and I just want to leave them alone for 72 hours rather than eliciting further soreness through massage. I also want to let my adductor heal a bit and my stretching can sometimes aggravate it.

Here are my flying runs from Friday, if you aren’t aware a flying run is going full speed between a set of cones but not accelerating flat out to reach top speed. My impression is that if you want to do an exercise with short ground contact time then this is what you choose, as accelerating tends to be longer contacts and very tiring. Daniel Back had the same idea when he wrote Jump Science 2.0, as that includes flying runs.

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

WEEK 15

13 Apr

Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 255cm)
              2 step jumps – 10, LR = 72cm, RL = 69cm
              Rugby Ball Adductor Squeeze – 30 secs
              Res. Band Adductor – 30 secs
              Standing Hip Flexor Hold – 2 x 20 secs x 5kg

Improved my broad jump by 1cm, this was into a wind if that has any impact. Decent jumps, it was windy and a bit cold so my enthusiasm wasn’t there. I equalled my PB going RL, took me a while to realise which cues help so I might write them down before next week (emphasis on lowering centre of mass with the penultimate, push-punch, aggressive arm swing and accelerating into the final steps). I wanted a new exercise for my adductor and tried a few out, then changed the hip flexor exercise to one I did at Uni.

14 Apr

REST

The previous session was meant to be on the 12th but I woke up to snow.. in April.. so I postponed it a day. I planned to take a rest at some point and this fitted in nicely.

16 Apr

Flying Runs – 6 x 25m in 2.93,2.94,2.78,2.78,2.81,2.78
              Shock Jumps – 3 x 5 x 100cm
              Reverse Nordics – 3 x 12

A generous tailwind helped me to faster times, wasn’t feeling great and needed 5 mins rest between reps instead of 3.5-4 mins.

17 Apr

Massage gun – glutes, adductors, calves
              Dom Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

Yesterday took longer than expected so I didn’t have time for abs. Only a single circuit with jumping session in 48 hours, also did the massage gun and prefer that to my mobility stretches.

A relatively good week of training, some faster times and higher jumps. The court I jump on is very exposed and there’s always a cold breeze which means I have to wrap up warm to jump. If I piece everything together and hit a jump well I can absolutely trouble my PB of 74cm. Here’s 69cm going RL.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.