Reply To: Pre-Season Fitness for Soccer (Apr 2019)

Fraser_9to5
Keymaster

18 Apr

Bench Press – 2 x 3 x 95kg
    Incline DB Bench Press – 15, 13 x 25kg
    A1 DB Rows – 3 x 8 x 35kg
    A2 Rear Delt Flyes – 3 x 8 x 3.5kg
    EZ Bar Curls – 13,11,9 x 31kg

19 Apr

Single Leg Bridge – 4 x 10

Part of the hamstring progression, these didn’t even feel like they were activating my hamstring.

21 Apr

Hamstring Bridge Walkouts – 3 x 5
    Hamstring Stretch – 1 minute

Wow, now these are definitely working the hamstring. I walked out until my knees were almost straight and I could tell I was very close to tweaking it again so I reduced the range of my steps. I like these enough to put them in as a more advanced warm up once my leg is healed, and the plan is to do some two leg work with a swiss ball in a few days time.

22 Apr

Stretches – Hamstring spectrum, Holding Large Globe, Long Quad, Human Pinwheel
    Push ups – 26, 21, 20
    A1 Chin up – 9,9,9
    A2 Face Pull – 10,10,10
    Lat Raises – 4 x 12 x 3.5kg
    B1 BB Shrug – 3 x 10 x 70kg
    B2 DB Tricep Ext – 3 x 12 x 13.5kg

I’m having to pay less attention to my leg in the gym when doing upper body, and I can walk without a limp at an average pace. The stretches are from The Permanent Pain Cure, which I still fall back on to this day for some of my stretches https://9to5strength.com/permanent-pain-cure-book-review/. Days of inactivity and perhaps the use of crutches has meant I feel a lot of tightness in my lower and mid back, as well as calves. I read some research that stretching 4x day means faster recovery than 1x day but I haven’t found the time yet.

23 Apr

Running warm up – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJdU4GhdQf0
    Grass Shuttle Runs: 3 x 4 mins (4 mins rest)

I am so pleased I could complete this session. The first run was a little tentative but the other two were done at the same pace as my runs two weeks ago and the fact I can’t jog very fast meant I paced myself much better. I completed one full shuttle and got to the far 18 yard box on the second run (shuttles are 18 yd, halfway, other 18 yd, full pitch). I stayed away from any discomfort and going from crutches to jogging in 11 days is faster than I expected to progress.