Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 431 through 435 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10423
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEKS 43-45

      29 July

      A1 L-Sit to Straddle – 4 x 2
      A2 Tuck Planche Push up – 5,4,6,4
      B1 EZ Front Raise – 3 x 10 x 16kg
      B2 Pull ups – 3 x 7

      8 Aug

      Advanced Tuck Planche – 10,9,8,8,6,2 secs (43 total)

      12 Aug

      Advanced Tuck Planche – 7,8,7,4,6,6,6 (45 total)
      Pull ups – 10,6,6

      15 Aug

      Planche Lean Touch – 27cm, 28cm, 29cm
      L-Sit to Straddle – 2,3,2
      Planche Lean – 20,20,20,10 secs
      Scap Push ups – 3 x 10

      Still experimenting with different exercises, I wasn’t happy with my scap protraction so I added in scap push ups.

      Here are my L-sits to straddle, it’s very brief but the goal is to get your body used to being in that position.

      in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10422
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 26

        20 Aug

        Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
        Bound/Sprint – 7 runs
        Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
        Jump Complex – 3 sets
        Eccentric Calf Lower – 10 x 10 secs x 20kg
        Side Lying Adductor Raise – 50,40,30

        I added in Achilles and adductor strengthening exercises as I need to correct my weaknesses.

        21 Aug

        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets
        Calf Raise – 3 sets

        22 Aug

        3x Core/Mobility supersets

        23 Aug

        Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
        Bound/Sprint – 7 runs
        Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
        Jump Complex – 3 sets
        Eccentric Calf Lower – 10 x 10 secs w 20kg
        Copenhagen Plank (knee) – 3 x 25 secs

        My adductors need strengthened asap. It’s actually quite nice to not have to go to the court for 4 weeks, while I’m not practising jumping I can focus more on executing each exercise well and correcting weaknesses.

        25 Aug

        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets
        Calf Raise – 3 sets

        26 Aug

        Walk (minimalist shoes) – 2 miles
        3x Core/Mobility supersets

        My “barefoot” shoes arrived and I gave them a go in my morning walk. There is some padding to them but my feet felt closer to how they do barefoot than they do in trainers, so I will keep it up. I didn’t run as the council were mowing the grass where I normally drop my stuff, so just a long walk at about 18 min/mi pace.

        Good week of training, I can see why people enjoy phase 7 as they are short but effective sessions. I don’t even mind not testing my vert after this phase as it feels like more of a strength builder, though there are single leg depth jumps which should be great for gains. Here are said depth jumps, only coming down from mid-shin to control for ground contact time.

        in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10421
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          PHASE 7

          WEEK 25

          13 Aug

          Vert Test – LR 70cm
          Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
          Bound/Sprint – 6 runs
          Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
          Jump Complex – 3 sets

          I was so, so disheartened after yet another mediocre vert test. I could jump 73cm a few weeks ago and since I haven’t magically got worse I put it down to not peaking. Rather than force it I stopped trying and went straight into day 1, which caused me some minor Achilles pain in the bound/sprint. I’m sick of feeling like my body is falling apart so I am making some changes in this phase.

          14 Aug

          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets
          Calf Raise – 3 sets

          I do love me some nordic curls. This was short and sweet, I didn’t really feel a benefit from the clean but the other three were great. I filmed my nordic curls and they’re way less impressive than they felt, so lots of gains to be made. I’ve seen kneesovertoesguy go all the way down and that’s a reasonable goal (maybe not in the next four weeks!).

          15 Aug

          Barefoot walk/jog 1.65mi
          Foot Drill – 3 sets
          3x Core/Mobility supersets

          The biggest change I’m making is with my feet, I was told by a masseuse that I have collapsed arches and that could be adding stress to my Achilles as well as causing problems further up the body. She also cleared my adductors as not being tight, which means that when I feel them during exercise that’s just weakness and I can add in exercises to fix that.

          16 Aug

          Jump Bible Warm Up
          Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
          Bound/Sprint – 6 runs
          Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
          Jump Complex – 3 sets
          Eccentric Calf Lower – 10 x 10 secs w 15kg

          The jump bible warm up was my favourite so far and I went back to doing it at the start of leg day. I’ll be doing it every time but not necessarily writing it in my journal. This was way better than Thursday, I felt decent. I realised I don’t need to go to the court for the lateral drills so having four weeks without testing my vert will allow me to focus on the exercises. I finished with an Achilles strengthener, weighted calf lowers (2 legs up, 1 leg down) going really slowly and beyond parallel, so foot is half on a platform.

          18 Aug

          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets
          Calf Raise – 3 sets

          19 Aug

          Barefoot jog 1.65mi
          3x Core/Mobility supersets

          It was a non-stop jog today at ~10 min/mi pace. Good first week, I am loving how short the sessions are as the lower body ones are about an hour each which suits my schedule a lot more.

          Here’s the pistol variation, I now do this barefoot as I’m trying to remove shoes from as many exercises as is sensible

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10420
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 24

            6 Aug

            Single Step Accel – 3 sets
            Diagonal Step/Bound – 4 sets
            Skip Bounds – 4 sets
            Practice Jumps – 12 total, not measured
            Triple CC – 4 sets, 145kg Hex DL
            Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
            Agility Drill – 3 sets

            I don’t seem to jump well on Day 1 with only 48 hours rest so I didn’t bother measuring my practice jumps. The session as a whole felt very good.

            7 Aug

            Hip/Hamstring Superset
            Ab/Hip Superset
            Lower Abs – 3 sets
            Lower Back – 2 sets

            9 Aug

            Sprint – 6 x 54m in 9.00, 8.37, 7.96, 7.79, 7.82
            Speed Hops – 4 x 20m per leg
            Broad Jump to Bound – 3 sets
            Speed Skater Variation – 2 sets
            Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
            Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
            Hamstring ISO – 3 sets

            Good sprints on a nice dry road. These are a good 0.3-0.4 seconds faster than when I did them in phase 2 which has given me a lot of confidence.

            Instead of a deload (skipping week 1 days 1 & 2) I did them, but I’m now happy to say that’s the end of phase 6 and to not finish off with week 4 days 4 & 5. I had a sports massage on the 10th and she identified my groin/hip tightness as my vastus lateralis quad muscle being very tight. She also noted I had slightly collapsed arches, I was already in the process of fixing these with barefoot walking but that’s encouraged me to get it sorted even quicker, because that can put pressure on the ankle and the Achilles.

            Overall while I was pleased with phase 6 my body was really fighting against me and I need to spend more time addressing imbalances and staying on top of mobility work. She said that I’m quite flexible which can actually be detrimental to noticing the condition of muscles, because if I can e.g. touch my toes then in my head it means my hamstrings aren’t tight, but they were.

            I need 48-72 hours after the massage to let everything settle down and then I can re-test my vert and immediately follow it with the first session of phase 7. She found a whole load of tightness in my outer quads so with that fixed I’m excited to see how I feel after a rest.

            Here are a few from day 1

            in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10419
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 23

              30 Jul

              Single Step Accel – 2 sets
              Diagonal Step/Bound – 3 sets
              Skip Bounds – 4 sets
              Practice Jumps – 15 total, failed at RL 70cm and LR = 73cm
              Triple CC – 4 sets, 140kg Hex DL
              Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
              Agility Drill – 2 sets

              I was a LONG way from getting those practice jump heights, I watched the videos back and I was flapping away at the air. Deadlifts were pushing it, I had to use my straps for one set, I felt a bit flat today.

              31 Jul

              Hip/Hamstring Superset
              Ab/Hip Superset
              Lower Abs – 3 sets
              Lower Back – 2 sets
              Row 3km in 2:18/500m pace

              Really leisurely row, not trying to push it.

              2 Aug

              Sprint – 10 x 60m(?) in 9.47, 8.70, 8.49, 8.26, ?, 8.13, 8.31, ?, 8.26, 8.45
              Speed Hops – 4 x 20m per leg
              Broad Jump to Bound – 3 sets
              Speed Skater Variation – 2 sets
              Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
              Ankle Stiffness – 4 sets
              Hamstring ISO – 3 sets

              Who knows what distance that was, I paced it out as 60m but when I measured it after the session I got ~62m. I did this on a proper track and it was so nice to accelerate properly in sprint spikes. I was wary of pulling a muscle so I sat at 95% for most of the runs.

              3 Aug

              Hip/Hamstring Superset
              Ab/Hip Superset
              Lower Abs – 3 sets
              Lower Back – 2 sets

              4 Aug
              AM Barefoot Walking – 1 mile in 20 mins
              Single Step Accel – 2 sets
              Diagonal Step/Bound – 3 sets
              Skip Bounds – 4 sets
              Practice Jumps – 10 total, LR = 67cm
              Triple CC – 4 sets, 130kg Hex DL
              Deficit RLESS – 3 sets
              Agility Drill – 2 sets

              Not at the races today. I’m reading “Born to Run” and it advocates barefoot walking/running to strengthen the foot so I did a mile in the morning. I felt my adductor stretch a bit doing a RL approach so I focused on LR today while also holding back. I had no spring and was barely able to touch 67cm, which was initially set up for my weaker RL jumps. I’m not concerned at all, when I trained in sprinting I’d have days where I was completely off the pace. You don’t magically lose your power and spring in a couple of days so I’ve taken an epsom salt bath and might push the next session back a day to let my legs rest.

              Here’s one of my track sprints

            Viewing 5 posts - 431 through 435 (of 722 total)