Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 426 through 430 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10430
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 30

      21 Sept

      4 Core supersets

      22 Sept

      Stability Drill – 3 sets
      Hopping Drill – 3 sets
      Lateral Drill – 3 sets
      Skipping Drill – 3 sets
      Step Up Variation – 4 sets
      Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
      Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

      I have a new exercise that I saw kneesovertoesguy demonstrate so I put that at the end of the session.

      23 Sept

      Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
      Hang High Pull – 4 sets
      Clean Variation – 3 sets
      RLESS – 5 sets
      Nordic Curls – 4 sets
      Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

      I tried a few nordics without the resistance band and I am improving, so that’s good to know. Hang high pull is good too, I had been doing a hang pull but by switching to a barbell the hang high pull feels quite natural.

      24 Sept

      Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 3 sets
      2 step approach – 5 x 2
      4 Core supersets

      I decided against doing this on both core days but once a week is certainly worthwhile. I felt flatter this week and made the mistake of setting up a target to try and touch. I need to focus on technique and not fall into the trap of trying to get the most height, because I may have to sacrifice a few cm until my body is familiar with the new movement pattern.

      26 Sept

      Stability Drill – 3 sets
      Hopping Drill – 3 sets
      Lateral Drill – 3 sets
      Skipping Drill – 3 sets
      Step Up Variation – 5 sets
      Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

      These sessions are really solid, I feel like each one is contributing something to the end product that is my vert and it’s a shame my technique isn’t allowing me to put it all together.

      27 Sept

      Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
      Hang High Pull – 4 sets
      Clean Variation – 3 sets
      RLESS – 5 sets
      Nordic Curls – 4 sets

      This one was a bit of a grind, I have a 9-10 hour shift and need to squeeze it in before breakfast. At one point I went higher with the RLESS (27.5kg per hand) but having dialled it back down to 25kg I can focus on exploding up to standing.

      Here are the RLESS, possibly my very first session as I’m using about 22.5kg. It’s not meant to be so heavy you have to grind out reps and I’m happy with the weight I do now.

      in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10428
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        11 Sept

        Vert Test – RL = 66cm, LR = 70cm

        I didn’t expect to PB, phase 7 felt like a strength phase so if anything I thought I’d be a bit sluggish and flat. It’s nice to test it anyway as a measure of how I’m progressing.

        PHASE 8

        14 Sept

        4 Core supersets

        My weekly layout suited starting with day 3, so I opened phase 8 with the ab exercises.

        15 Sept

        Stability Drill – 3 sets
        Hopping Drill – 3 sets
        Lateral Drill – 3 sets
        Skipping Drill – 3 sets
        Step Up Variation – 5 sets
        Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

        This took longer than I expected but I like the exercises.

        16 Sept

        Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
        Hang High Pull – 4 sets
        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        RLESS – 5 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets

        Ohhh I really like this day. The rep ranges make me feel like there’s at least some sort of taper or a transition from strength to power.

        17 Sept

        Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 3 sets
        2 step approach – 5 x 2
        4 Core supersets

        I was reading the YouTube comments and I’m tired of having a flawed jump technique that everyone focuses on, so I added in the phase 1 drills to help. I don’t know whether twice a week is excessive load but I plan to do the same next week for the other core day. I didn’t measure the 2 step but I will do next time as I was getting some quite good height.

        19 Sept

        Stability Drill – 3 sets
        Hopping Drill – 3 sets
        Lateral Drill – 3 sets
        Skipping Drill – 3 sets
        Step Up Variation – 5 sets
        Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

        20 Sept

        Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
        Hang High Pull – 4 sets
        Clean Variation – 3 sets
        RLESS – 5 sets
        Nordic Curls – 4 sets

        Much better second time round. The first session is always a tester where you get a feel for what amount of weight to use but now I have it dialled in already and can load appropriately.

        Here are the weighted jumps, it’s only 20kg because as I say it seems to be more about power in this phase

        in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10427
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 28

          3 Sept

          Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
          Bound/Sprint – 9 runs
          Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
          Jump Complex – 3 sets
          Eccentric Calf Lower – 11 x 10 secs w 29kg
          Copenhagen Plank (full) – 3 x 15 secs

          Great to be able to build up to a full Copenhagen plank over the last four weeks.

          4 Sept

          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets
          Calf Raise – 3 sets

          I went heavier on the cleans and it felt better, usually if it’s too light you can end up using your arms too much to raise the weight.

          5 Sept

          3x Core/Mobility supersets

          The barefoot walking was good for foot strength and arches but aggravating my Achilles so I backed off for now.

          6 Sept

          Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
          Bound/Sprint – 8 runs
          Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
          Jump Complex – 3 sets

          I’m backing off my accessory lifts so no adductor or Achilles work, just giving my body a rest.

          8 Sept

          Clean Variation – 3 sets
          Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
          Nordic Curls – 4 sets
          Calf Raise – 3 sets

          Not in the mood for this one, I can sense the accumulated fatigue once again and look forward to taking a few days off. Previously there’s been plyo’s and lots of CNS taxing workouts, this time I have the more familiar feeling of tired muscles from more traditional exercises like Nordics and pistol squats.

          9 Sept

          3x Core/Mobility supersets

          I’m ready to move on now, those were a good four weeks but having done 8 of each session the odd exercise that I don’t enjoy has become quite a chore (I’m looking at you “rolling cross touch”).

          I will probably take an Epsom salt bath this evening, then test my vert on the 11th. I would have tested later but the morning of the 12th is tattoo removal and I’m incapacitated for 48 hrs after that, meaning I have to start phase 8 on Monday 14th.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10425
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 27

            27 Aug

            Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
            Bound/Sprint – 8 runs
            Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
            Jump Complex – 3 sets
            Copenhagen Plank (mid-calf) – 3 x 20 secs

            29 Aug

            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets
            Calf Raise – 3 sets

            After 2 sets of Nordics I accepted that I’m not getting anywhere near the Range of Motion I require so I set up resistance band and did sets of band assisted nordics.

            30 Aug

            Walk (minimalist shoes) – 2.3 miles
            3x Core/Mobility supersets

            31 Aug

            Lateral Drills – 2 x 3 sets
            Bound/Sprint – 8 runs
            Depth Jump variation – 3 sets
            Jump Complex – 3 sets
            Eccentric Calf Lower – 11 x 10 secs w 29kg
            Copenhagen Plank (mid-calf) – 2 x 25 secs
            Copenhagen Plank (full) – 15 secs

            Pleased to improve on Copenhagen planks, adductors feel much less flimsy. I also increased the weight on the calf lower for my Achilles, which supposedly needs over a month of complete rest to heal but isn’t getting any worse, so I hope this helps it.

            1 Sept

            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            Pistol Squat Variation – 4 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets
            Calf Raise – 3 sets

            2 Sept

            Walk (minimalist shoes) – 2.3 miles
            3x Core/Mobility supersets

            Good week of training, really pleased with the progress of my adductors which no longer feel like they could give way at any moment. Since there are only 3 sessions that get repeated 8 times it’s already a little bit tedious but the short duration workouts suit my schedule so it’s been nice. I can tell in the jump complex that my quads are pretty tired and the plan is to complete the final session of phase 7 on Wed 9th, re-test vert on Fri 11th and start phase 8 on Monday 14th or even Sunday 13th.

            Here are my band assisted Nordic curls

            in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10424
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 46

              19 Aug

              Advanced Tuck Planche – 8,7,2
              Advanced Frogstand Leg Extension – 3 attempts
              Pseudo Waistline Hold – 4 x 5 secs

              I watched more tutorials and saw a great exercise called pseudo waistline holds which I added in. You lower from a PPPu and hold yourself just off the floor, importantly position your hands so they are down by your waist. This is a very intense isometric and the goal is 5 seconds.

              22 Aug

              L-sit to Tuck Planche – 4 x 5
              Pseudo Waistline Hold – 6 x 5 secs

              Instead of the L-sit to straddle I went back to the traditional tuck, which I can hold for a few secs before returning to L-sit. This was a great exercise for lower body control and raising the hips in a tuck planche so I wanted to bring it back. I really like the pseudo waistline hold, my muscles feel far more challenged than some of the stuff I’ve been doing previously.

              Feet are against a wall, and you can position the hands while lying down so you know they’re going to be level with your waist, then come back into a push up position and lower from there.

            Viewing 5 posts - 426 through 430 (of 722 total)