Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 421 through 425 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10437
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 53-54

      6 Oct

      Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 6kg
      Weighted Pull ups – 5 x 20kg, 5,4 x 15kg
      Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8
      Handstand practice – 3 x 30 secs
      Reverse Table Top – 30 secs
      Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 7

      The reverse table top is to balance out the shoulders from handstand practice but I feel like a single set will suffice.

      10 Oct

      L-Sit to Tucked Sit to Tuck Planche Pulse – 4 x 3
      Advanced Tuck Planche – 6 x 6 secs

      Did abs this morning in another routine so skipped any here.

      13 Oct

      Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 6.5kg
      Weighted Pull ups – 6,6,4 x 15kg
      Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 3 x 8
      Handstand practice – 3 x 30 secs
      Reverse Table Top – 30 secs
      Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 8

      Better balance today. I was doing flutter kicks off the wall and held one for a decent time.

      17 Oct

      Pseudo Waistline Holds – 5 x 5 secs
      Planche Lean – 26cm, 6 x 6 secs
      Raised L-Sit – 15,14,12 secs

      Here’s the handstand practice

      in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10436
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 51-52

        25 Sept

        Arnold Press – 2 x 10 x 6kg
        Weighted Pull ups – 2 x 6 x 10kg
        Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 3 x 6
        A1 Handstand practice – 15,18,16 secs
        A2 Reverse Table Top – 3 x 20 secs
        Dragon Flag Lowers – 4,3,3

        This will be the weights based session I do between the more technical days. I like the Arnold Press for deltoids, weighted pull ups are recommended a lot, and I’m coming back to learning to handstand. The dragon flag ab exercise was a miss and I’ll change that.

        28 Sept

        L-Sit to Tucked Sit to Tuck Planche Pulse – 4 x 3
        Advanced Tuck Planche – 5 x 6 secs

        Another discovery was an optimal set & rep scheme for isometrics based on your maximum hold. I’ll be following that instead of constantly going to failure like I used to.

        1 Oct

        Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 6kg
        Weighted Pull ups – 3 x 6 x 15kg
        Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 10,9,8,7
        A1 Handstand practice – 3 x 30 secs
        A2 Reverse Table Top – 3 x 30 secs
        Hanging Toes to Bar – 4 x 6

        The first session was only a few sets to avoid a lot of doms, this time I upped the volume.

        4 Oct

        Pseudo Waistline Holds – 5 x 5 secs
        Planche Lean – 26cm, 6 x 6 secs
        Raised L-Sit – 20,10,10,10 secs

        Here are the planche leans, I can shift the wooden structure for more/less of a lean in cm.

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10435
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 47

          26 Aug

          L-Sit to Tuck Planche – 5,4,4,4,3
          Pseudo Waistlinte Hold – 5,5,5,3

          30 Aug

          Pull ups – 8
          Flex Arm Hang – 3 x 30 secs
          EZ Front Raise – 3 x 12 x 16kg

          WEEK 48-50

          Rest and recover. I watched a few videos on the optimal rest period between sessions and someone argued the point that longer rest is better, with 5 days between intense sessions. My inner elbow joints have been aching and in general I feel like I’m bringing residual soreness/tiredness into the next session, so I’m giving my body a more extended break before coming at this again.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10433
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 32

            5 Oct

            4 Core supersets

            6 Oct

            Stability Drill – 3 sets
            Hopping Drill – 4 sets
            Lateral Drill – 3 sets
            Skipping Drill – 3 sets
            Step Up Variation – 5 sets
            Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
            Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

            7 Oct

            Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
            Hang High Pull – 4 sets
            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            RLESS – 5 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets

            10 Oct

            Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 1 set
            Full approach – 12-15 attempts
            4 Core supersets

            I had an Epsom Salt bath on the 8th and gave my legs 48 hours to recover. I almost didn’t do the session because I was so short on time but I managed to do one set of drills and some approach jumps. The surface was wet so it wasn’t max. effort, I was at a new court which had a 9’9 rim I managed to touch. I prefer my regular court as it’s almost always empty, so will go back to that next time.

            11 Oct

            Stability Drill – 3 sets
            Hopping Drill – 4 sets
            Skipping Drill – 3 sets
            Step Up Variation – 5 sets
            Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

            I wasn’t feeling it at all today, this was a real chore and I skipped the lateral drill.

            12 Oct

            Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
            Hang High Pull – 4 sets
            Clean Variation – 3 sets
            RLESS – 5 sets
            Nordic Curls – 4 sets

            Again not the best session, I’ve had poor sleep this week and it showed.

            This is where I stop Vert Code Elite. I’ve looked at phase 9 and I don’t feel like I’m missing out by stopping now. My technique is holding me back more than my strength/power right now, so for me the best thing is to write my own program, prioritise technical drills, and also give my body a rest. I know how to peak when it’s muscle soreness but a lot of this is CNS which takes 3-4x as long. I’m going to do two weeks of low intensity maintenance plyo’s and test my vert a few times along the way.

            After that I have the exposure to enough programs to know what I should be including and I’m confident I can write up a nice program that’s tailored to my own weaknesses. Phase 9 had sprints and bounding, and as it rains most days I know I’ll only get frustrated about not being able to go flat out on tarmac.

            I’ll leave you with the 9’9 rim touch, it didn’t make a noise and I didn’t celebrate so when I was reviewing the video I could only narrow it down to one of these two jumps.

            in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10431
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 31

              28 Sept

              4 Core supersets

              29 Sept

              Stability Drill – 3 sets
              Hopping Drill – 3 sets
              Lateral Drill – 3 sets
              Skipping Drill – 3 sets
              Step Up Variation – 5 sets
              Weighted Jumps – 4 sets
              Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

              30 Sept

              Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
              Hang High Pull – 4 sets
              Clean Variation – 3 sets
              RLESS – 5 sets
              Nordic Curls – 4 sets

              1 Oct

              Phase 1 Jump Mechanics Drills – 2 x 3 sets
              2 step approach – 5 x 2
              4 Core supersets

              I felt like I was getting good spring on my 2 step approaches but I also ditched the plastic ruler so I wasn’t obsessing over height. I’m really glad that I chose to add these jumps in as the more recent phases do feel like an ‘in-season’ program where additional jumping is almost expected of you.

              3 Oct

              Stability Drill – 3 sets
              Hopping Drill – 3 sets
              Skipping Drill – 3 sets
              Weighted Jumps – 4 sets

              I had minor discomfort in my right hamstring and almost concluded that I shouldn’t work out today, but then I remembered he offers a trimmed down version for those short on time that might suit me. I did skip one of the “do not skip this” exercises because I thought that was the highest risk to further hamstring damage. I got through the session with no problems.

              4 Oct

              Knee Strength Drill – 3 sets
              Hang High Pull – 4 sets
              Clean Variation – 3 sets
              RLESS – 5 sets
              Nordic Curls – 4 sets

              I breezed through this one. I haven’t been increasing weight because the focus was on maintaining a minimum execution speed. For the Nordics I tried a few without the resistance band and was pleased with my progress.

              Here’s one of my 2 step approaches from the extra technical session I’ve been adding in

            Viewing 5 posts - 421 through 425 (of 722 total)