Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 416 through 420 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10444
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      Edit: Between Dec and Feb my jumps were off by 1-2cm, these have been corrected.

      Preparation – Week 2

      30 Nov

      7 Stretches from Becoming a Supple Leopard
      Soleus Stretch 2 x 40 secs

      I’ve moved the soleus stretch with all the others.

      2 Dec

      Around The Square (Vert Shock) – 3 x 4
      Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15
      CMJ – 5 jumps, best of 54cm/21.25″
      DB KoT Lunge – 3 x 10 x 2.5kg
      Assisted Nordic Curls – 3 x 4
      Tibialis Raise – 25 reps
      Copenhagen Plank – 2 x 20 secs

      Much better structure to this workout. I could tell how rusty I was when trying a CMJ so I’m not bothered by the (lack of) height. I retained my strength for nordics quite well which was pleasing.

      4 Dec

      4 Stretches from Becoming a Supple Leopard
      Soleus Stretch 2 x 40 secs

      I skipped a few as I was short on time.

      5 Dec

      Around The Square (Vert Shock) – 3 x 4
      Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15
      CMJ – 5 jumps, best of 58cm/22.8″
      DB KoT Lunge – 3 x 10 x 5kg
      Assisted Nordic Curls – 3 x 5
      Tibialis Raise – 25 reps
      Copenhagen Plank – 2 x 25 secs

      My legs didn’t feel that sore after the last session so I’m going to start adding reps/weight where possible. It feels like I could add in 1-2 more exercises so I’ll have a think about what’s missing. It could be that I go to the courts next week (weather permitting) and see where my running vert is at.

      in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10442
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEKS 57-58

        5 Nov

        L-Sit to Tucked Sit to Tuck Planche Pulse – 4 x 3
        Advanced Tuck Planche – 6 x 6 secs
        Raised L-Sit (bench) – 20, 11, 14 secs

        9 Nov

        Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 7kg
        Weighted Pull ups – 3 x 6 x 15kg
        Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8
        Handstand practice – 3 x 30 secs
        Reverse Table Top – 30 secs
        Hanging Toes to Bar – 2 x 7

        12 Nov

        Pseudo Waistline Holds – 2 x 4 x 5 secs
        PPPu with feet against the wall – 5,3
        PPPu negatives – 8,8
        Planche Lean – 2 x 4 x 15 secs

        I’m comfortable with the pseudo waistline holds and have revisited Osvaldo Lugones YouTube where he demonstrates the moves that you need to accomplish a Straddle Planche, starting with a 20 second waistline hold. This was a much better workout and I was feeling it for several days afterwards.

        15 Nov

        Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 7kg
        Weighted Pull ups – 3 x 6 x 15kg
        Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10441
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEKS 55-56

          20 Oct

          Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 6.5kg
          Weighted Pull ups – 6,6,6 x 15kg
          Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8
          Handstand practice – 3 x 30 secs
          Reverse Table Top – 30 secs
          Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 8

          22 Oct

          L-Sit to Tucked Sit to Tuck Planche Pulse – 4 x 3
          Advanced Tuck Planche – 6 x 6 secs
          Raised L-Sit (bench) – 20, 16, 14 secs

          24 Oct

          Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 7kg
          Weighted Pull ups – 6,6,6 x 15kg
          Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8
          Handstand practice – 4 x 30 secs
          Reverse Table Top – 30 secs
          Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 8

          Handstands are coming along. I can hold 5+ seconds and I better understand the role my hands play in keeping me balanced.

          29 Oct

          Pseudo Waistline Holds – 5 x 5 secs
          Planche Lean – 26cm, 6 x 6 secs
          Raised L-Sit – 20,20,13 secs

          There’s meant to be 2-3 days between sessions but because that ends up being a 10 day cycle I have no set days, so I forget to do them.

          31 Oct

          Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 7kg
          Weighted Pull ups – 6,6,5 x 15kg
          Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 2 x 8
          Handstand practice – 2 x 30 secs

          Tired and short of time, better than nothing.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10439
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            22 Oct

            Around The Square – 3 x 4
            Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
            Speed Skaters – 2 x 15 per side
            180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
            Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

            23 Oct

            Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
            Single Leg Box Jumps – 2 x 8
            Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

            25 Oct

            Grass Sprints – 4 x 20m
            Broad Jumps -3 x 15

            26 Oct

            Foam Roll + 11 stretches
            A1 Deadbug Rocker – 3 x 8
            A2 Mini Band Ankle Turn – 3 x 25
            Toe Raises – 3 x 8 x 3 secs
            SL ball of foot turn – 3 x 6

            28 Oct

            Vert Test – 25 jumps, best of 73cm/28.75″

            I managed the same height as last week despite feeling much fresher, which was frustrating. I don’t know if I spent too long ramping up from a 68cm target as I’ve previously found that my first 3-5 jumps are best.

            I want to give it one more attempt so I’ll do slightly less volume and test again.

            30 Oct

            Around The Square – 3 x 4
            Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
            Speed Skaters – 2 x 15 per side
            180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
            Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

            31 Oct

            Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
            Single Leg Box Jumps – 2 x 8
            Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

            4 Nov

            Vert Test – 15 jumps, best of ??

            This was a car crash. The last two weeks I started at 68cm (I blu tack a target on the rim at the right height) and worked up, this time I thought I’d “open” at 70cm. Never touched it. I don’t know what happened between now and last week but I was just aimlessly flapping and not getting good height at all. I finished early because if I struggled so much at 70cm it was very unlikely I was going to beat 74cm.

            A little depressing to end on a low, I’m happier with my decision to not go on with phase 9 and to instead focus on technique.

            My Achilles troubled me a few months ago and I never gave it an extended period to heal so I’ll probably take 4-6 weeks with no plyometrics and then start from scratch. I had success with Phases 1-4 so there’s no reason I can’t repeat those and modify where I want.

            in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10438
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              MAINTENANCE / TAPER

              Since I’m stopping VCE after 8 of 12 phases it’s not fair to immediately test my vert and consider that to be what the program delivered. I know the CNS takes longer than muscles to fully recover so I scheduled some shorter maintenance sessions (adapted from Vert Shock) which I will do for 2-3 weeks, testing my vert once a week.

              15 Oct

              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Tuck Jumps – 2 x 10
              180 Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
              Lunge Jumps – 3 x 12

              I forgot how great it feels to do tuck jumps, the reactive ball of the foot contact must surely translate well to jumping.

              17 Oct

              Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
              Single Leg Box Jumps – 2 x 8
              Seated Jumps – 3 x 8

              I took depth jumps out of this because those are very demanding on the CNS and the goal is to give mine a break.

              18 Oct

              Uphill Sprints – 4 x 20m
              Uphill broad jumps – 15,15,12

              I had to do these on a side road and needed to bail from the final set as a car was coming. I’m rarely that out of breath following VCE but 15 broad jumps do it for me.

              19 Oct

              Foam roll, 11 stretches
              A1 Deadbug Rocker – 3 x 8
              A2 Mini Band Ankle Turn – 3 x 25
              Toe Raises – 3 x 8 x 3 secs
              SL ball of foot turn – 3 x 6

              I was picking a selection from the Phase 1 core/mobility day.

              20 Oct

              Vert Test – 25 jumps, best of 73cm/28.75″

              Beyond the warm up I stuck with a LR plant as that gets me the most height. I got quite high walking into a 2 step approach and only slightly better from a full approach. I uploaded everything to YouTube so people could give me feedback ahead of next Tuesday, the video is below. I felt good but not amazing so I’m still hopefully that with another week of rest I can get higher (PB is 74cm).

            Viewing 5 posts - 416 through 420 (of 722 total)