Reply To: Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021)

Fraser_9to5
Keymaster

WEEK 4

1 Nov

Off – I had laser tattoo removal on the Friday and so skipped sessions on the 30th and 1st.

3 Nov

Med Ball Slams – 3 x 5 x 5kg
    Throw Ins (Session 9) – 10 throws, median 16.5m
    Med Ball Slams – 1 x 5 x 5kg
    Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 15kg
    Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 30 secs

These were dire, I barely got over 17m the whole session. I did two things differently, the first was that I did these at 10am with only a banana for fuel, and secondly I added 3 sets of med ball slams in the warm up. It’s likely a mixture of both so I’ll avoid anything intense prior to my throws from now on.

6 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 10) – 10 throws, median 19.8m
    Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
    Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 15 x 15kg
    Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 30 secs

Much better. This included a new personal best of 20.3m. Now the one thing I changed here was that I had a coffee this morning so it’s possible caffeine has boosted my throws, but they felt great. I’ve got to a level of consistency where I don’t expect my median throw to be much different in the second set of throws, so I’m stopping after 10. There’s an argument that 20 throws is better for practicing technique but other than adding backspin I can’t see any big jumps in my technique from here.

The med ball slams are with a Mirafit slam ball, then the swiss ball stir the pot (ABC) means I write out the alphabet with my elbows, instead of the traditional circular motion while holding a plank. I really like these three and don’t expect to change them, the next step is to add direct shoulder/arm work but that can be in a few weeks time.