Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 476 through 480 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10325
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 21

      25 Feb

      Wrist warm up 3 x 10
      Shoulder warm up
      Free Handstand Practice – 5 mins
      A1 Wall Handstand Flutter kicks – 30,35,25 secs
      A2 Reverse Table Top – 25,30,30 secs
      Handstand Pike Pushups – 5
      Hollow Body Hold – 35,20,30 secs
      Tuck Planche – 12 secs

      This was more structured having looked online for a good routine. It turns out I was on the right path with the wall handstand, so now I bring one leg away from the wall in what would be its correct position, then try to get the second leg to meet it and hold the balance there.

      27 Feb

      Wrist warm up 3 x 10
      Shoulder warm up
      Free Handstand Practice – 5 mins
      A1 Wall Handstand Flutter kicks – 30,30,25 secs
      A2 Reverse Table Top – 3 x 30 secs
      Hollow Body Hold – 30,25,20 secs

      Holding the correct position takes a lot out of me and I only really have three good sets. I do 10-12 attempts during the free practice but since I want to end up going from a tuck into handstand then the ‘kick the legs up’ approach might not be that useful to me.

      I did want a third session this week but I was very busy.

      in reply to: [Wife] 5 Week Pull-up Program #10324
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        Feb 20

        Dynamometer Grip Test 10am: Right 33kg, Left 37.4kg

        What?? She’s right handed so this was a surprise, also interesting to have such a difference.

        WEEK 3

        21 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 17,20,17,21,21,20 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        This is 80% effort and she was doing pairs of hangs with 5 mins between, then coming back a few hours later to hold for another pair.

        22 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 16,20,18,20,19,22,22 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        23 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 17,20,15,31,17,19,15,18 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        She struggled with sore hands here, mainly around the calluses. On the 4th set I asked her to see if she could hold for 30 seconds and she managed it, but that doesn’t mean she progresses.

        24 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 17,20,19,20,20,20,19,20,22 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        Sore hands again, just adding one set every day.

        26 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 16,20,20,19,20,19,18,21,17,16 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        27 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 15,17,20,18 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        Hands were too sore so she couldn’t continue. We looked up variations in grip and she’s been using a small rubber pad to avoid holding on the knurling but it was no use.

        in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10323
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 4

          27 Feb

          Dynamic Warmup
          Activation exercises
          Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
          Oscillating Squats w 55kg
          RLESS ISO w 50kg
          Lower Back Exercise
          Calf Exercise

          Ankle drills in socks again, with my body leaning a little further forward and focus on dorsiflexion, no problems. I bumped the squats by 5kg and RLESS too, tough!

          28 Feb

          10 stretches
          4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

          29 Feb

          Jump Session

          This was when the UK was hit with Storm Jorge, so it was miserable conditions. The court had puddles so I couldn’t jump at the rim, instead I had to find a suitable patch in the middle of the court. My coordination was still there but it was tough doing all the reps as my legs are picking up fatigue.

          1 Mar

          10 stretches
          4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

          2 Mar

          Dynamic Warmup
          Activation exercises
          Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
          Oscillating Squats w 55kg
          RLESS ISO w 50kg
          Lower Back Exercise
          Calf Exercise

          I usually wait until the Tuesday but I wanted to get this out the way and bring on the recovery. He says to go as heavy as possible with good form in the RLESS and I really pushed it with 25kg per hand this week. My appetite has exploded but I want to eat well over the next few days and set myself up well for phase 2.

          Here are my CMJ when the weather was nicer. I bought this gym tile because landing on my patio was too hard, and the grass was too soft, but this is juuuust right.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10315
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 3

            20 Feb

            Dynamic Warmup
            Activation exercises
            Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
            Oscillating Squats w 50kg
            RLESS ISO w 45kg
            Lower Back Exercise
            Calf Exercise

            I did the ankle drills in shoes and this was fine.

            21 Feb

            10 stretches
            4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

            22 Feb

            Jump Session

            Best session so far I think, I felt fitter doing the drills although the finished product of my running jump still leaves a lot to be desired. I equalled my PB off my less natural side, which is Left-Right takeoff, but I’m not that surprised because while it feels alien to me I can tell I’m getting height. I will take a ladder, plastic ruler and blu-tack every week because being able to reach for a target is so helpful.

            23 Feb

            10 stretches
            4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

            This is all very standard, an extra rep here or there.

            25 Feb

            Dynamic Warmup
            Activation exercises
            Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
            Oscillating Squats w 50kg
            RLESS ISO w 45kg
            Lower Back Exercise
            Calf Exercise

            Possibly a little bit tedious now having done it a 6th time, there isn’t that much room for progression so the focus is on quality reps.

            Here is what still might be considered an unrefined takeoff but it did the job in equalling my PB. Note that brushing the bottom of the ruler would be a PB so I probably surpassed it

            in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10270
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 20

              Reading up was a great use of my time and I found several new ab exercises and also decided that a handstand is worth learning. A lot of people use a handstand as a starting position before descending into a straddle planche and there’s also a seated tuck into handstand transition that looks like it will build the right strength for planche.

              To give my body a break from planche training I will switch to handstand training for a few weeks. The format will be the same as learning frog stand, which is 5 x 20 secs of a strength move followed by balancing practice.

              20 Feb

              Bent Arm Tuck Planche – 9,14,15,10,8 secs
              Handstand To Wall – 17,19,23,20 secs
              L-Sit with High Feet (end on foam roller) – 7,8 secs

              To get the tuck handstand press it’s recommended to do a bent arm tuck planche for a stable base to push off. These were tough but taught me that my core is not the limiting factor in my tuck planche because I could hold my legs there easily. A regular L-Sit isn’t a problem so with straight legs I’m looking to hold them up over an object, in this case a ~50cm foam roller. Handstands were against the wall with the intention of pushing my feet off to balance for 2-3 secs, which didn’t really work.

              23 Feb

              Bent Arm Tuck Planche – 20,12,15,12,14 secs
              Handstand (aided) – 30,35,13,15 secs
              Free Handstand Practice – 3 mins

              Glad to see the strength from bent arm tucks come through and I hit my first 20 second hold. My wife caught my legs for the handstand but that felt more awkward than using the wall. I tried the standard ‘kick the legs up’ into a handstand hold and while it didn’t last more than 1-2 seconds I feel like that’s the best way to improve. I laid out cushions to soften my fall but the main problem was fatigue from the aided handstands, so next time I’ll jump straight into free handstands.

              Here’s a few sets from the 20th

            Viewing 5 posts - 476 through 480 (of 722 total)