Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 481 through 485 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10263
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 2

      13 Feb

      Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
      Oscillating Squats w 50kg
      RLESS ISO w 40kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

      My right ankle seemed to flare up during the Ankle drills.

      14 Feb

      10 stretches
      4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

      15 Feb

      Jump Session

      I started strongly, almost touching the backboard with a 2 foot approach, but last week I misunderstood the sets and reps and didn’t realise it was per leg, so some exercises I did double the volume. This meant by the time it came to longer approach I wasn’t explosive enough to touch the backboard again.

      16 Feb

      10 stretches
      4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

      18 Feb

      Dynamic Warmup
      Activation exercises
      Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
      Oscillating Squats w 50kg
      RLESS ISO w 40kg
      Lower Back Exercise
      Calf Exercise

      Ankle flared up AGAIN on the Ankle drill, the first time I thought it was coincidence but now it’s almost certainly being aggravated, so I’ll skip it next time. In general there’s so much more focus on foot strength and conditioning than any other program so my feet and ankles aren’t used to such a training load.

      Here are my RLESS ISO’s, if you find my “Get Vertical” training log it has the same sets, reps and hold time in that program, so I’ve been here before https://9to5strength.com/forums/topic/get-vertical-program-by-christian-thibs/

      in reply to: [Wife] 5 Week Pull-up Program #10262
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        END OF WEEK 1

        11 Feb

        Daily Stretches

        12 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Bent Knee Seated Pull ups – 4 x 4
        Forearm Cool Down

        13 Feb

        Daily Stretches

        WEEK 2

        14 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 18,13,13 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        A little miscommunication on the first set, I explained that it should be around 60% effort. These were spaced across the day with a maximum of 2 sets in one visit, spaced 5 mins apart. That’s going to be the same for all of weeks 2 and 3. We have a bar in the garage so she pops in as she’s leaving the house for work and does 1-2 sets each morning.

        15 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 15,14,15,18 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        The idea is to increase the number of sets each day and for simplicity I suggested adding one set each time. It’s a concept known as “Greasing the Groove” where you complete time under tension but space it across the day so your body isn’t fatigued. It’s commonly done with push ups and pull ups.

        16 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 12,15,14,10,10 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        18 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 10,8,12,12,12,14 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        19 Feb

        Daily Stretches
        Active Hang – 11,12,12,10,11,11,10 secs
        Forearm Cool Down

        This is the end of week 2, doing 5 days of active hang. This was because she can’t hold for 30 seconds, and if she could the next progression would be hanging in the top position for up to 30 seconds. In week 3 it will be six days a week of the same thing, but 80% intensity instead of 60%, meaning this week was more like a primer for the volume to come. I’ll test her grip strength tomorrow.

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10261
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 18

          5 Feb

          Scap Pushups – 2 x 10
          PPPu – 8,8,8,6
          Tuck Planche – 9,8,11,8,5 secs (41 total)

          WEEK 19

          11 Feb

          Tuck Planche – 11, 12 secs
          L-Sit Tuck Hold – 25,25,25,20 secs

          15 Feb

          Tuck Planche Pulses – 3,3
          Tuck Planche – 4, 8 secs
          PPPu – 6,8,8,7,5

          I am seething. My progress is so bloody slow and I genuinely don’t know how to structure my training to make incremental gains, which is new territory for me. I still can’t even tell which muscle groups are failing me. I am going to set aside 45-60 mins to reading more material on planche training because right now that’s the best use of my time.

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10243
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 1

            Throughout this I will be purposefully vague so as not to give people the whole program for free. The layout is Day 1-5 and it looks like you can choose how to space them, as long as Days 1, 3 and 5 have sufficient recovery.

            6 Feb

            Dynamic Warmup
            Activation exercises
            Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
            Oscillating Squats w 40kg
            RLESS ISO w 30kg
            Lower Back Exercise
            Calf Exercise

            I enjoyed this. When I did the pushup & pullup program it made such a difference to my mind-muscle connection to start with activation exercises, and it’s the same here.

            7 Feb

            10 stretches
            4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

            I’m familiar with a lot of these stretches and the principles of the ab stuff. It’s nice to work on foot conditioning as I can’t remember another program that’s addressed it.

            8 Feb

            Jump Session

            This is like Jump Science 2.0 in that there’s a dedicated technique day. I had a narrow window to get this done on a Saturday morning before work and to save time I didn’t bring my tripod or intend to film anything. During one of my approaches I touched the backboard for the first time ever (I should note it’s 293cm and I did touch 294cm with a mini hoop in my garden) meaning my gains are already 2cm. Some of this could be attributed to my increased freshness having done heavy squats the previous week, but my technique felt sharp so I want to give the program the benefit of the doubt.

            9 Feb

            10 stretches
            4 supersets (core, balance, feet)

            This is the same session as above and there’s the option of doing it a third time as a “Day 6”, which I won’t be doing.

            11 Feb

            Dynamic Warmup
            Activation exercises
            Ankle drill, CMJ, Glute drill
            Oscillating Squats w 45kg
            RLESS ISO w 35kg
            Lower Back Exercise
            Calf Exercise

            Weights got heavier but everything else stayed the same. As you can see Days 1 & 5 are the same, as are Days 2 & 4. I should also note that on Day 3 there’s a pool workout but my nearest one is 10 miles away so I did the alternative exercises. That’s also the case on multiple occasions where he uses gym equipment I don’t have in my home gym, and in fact I bought resistance bands to be able to do some of the others.

            My first impression is that it’s a good program but it’s very involved, I had to spend 30 mins for each session going through the videos and making a note of the coaching points, and there’s a lot to get through even if the sessions take 60-90 mins. The draw of some of the other programs is their simplicity, and I can see why nobody has made Vert Code Elite free online, because you’d need to link to all the videos to understand the program. I’m already confident I have my money’s worth for the first 4 weeks and so I’ll roll over and allow the money to be deducted for month 2.

            Here are my oscillating squats from today, I’ve seen a top dunker do them in his leg day so they are maybe more common than I thought.

            in reply to: 2020 Training Log #10241
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              4 Feb

              Jump Squats – 2 x 5 x 40kg
              Seated Jumps – 3 x 5
              Back Squat – 1 x 110kg, 1 x 120kg, 3 x 4 x 120kg, 7 x 110kg

              I was toying with trying a 1RM but when I got to 120kg I realised I could rep it out. It was definitely tough and I couldn’t do a 4th set but I could stay at 120kg and work on increasing reps.

              ______________________________

              After this I looked ahead to the jumps program I was going to do, and it was disappointing to say the least. I then ended up watching several hours of PJF Performance on YouTube without knowing he was the author of Vert Code Elite. He seemed so knowledgeable that my mind was made up, and I bought a monthly subscription. See that in a separate journal.

            Viewing 5 posts - 481 through 485 (of 722 total)