Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 451 through 455 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10365
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      ADDUCTOR REHAB WEEK 2

      1 Jun

      Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
      Phase 5 Core workout
      Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

      I took the stretches from earlier phases and put them back on core days, also choosing a foot conditioning drill to do too. This all went fine and my leg didn’t bother me.

      2 Jun

      Banded Lateral – 3 sets
      Pogo Jumps – 4 sets
      Banded HS/Glute Move – 3 sets
      Long Duration Jumps – 2 sets
      Jog 1.5 miles @ 8:30/mi pace

      I picked some of the phase 5 moves that don’t involve explosive lateral movement and again I got through it unscathed. I finished with some jogging and was pleased enough with my pace that I stopped early.

      3 Jun

      Foam Roll & 11 Stretches
      Phase 5 Core workout
      Banded Foot Conditioning Drill

      I did the same again just to keep in some sort of shape.

      4 Jun

      Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      2 step and full approach jumps ~12

      I went to the court to see what shape I was in. I managed to hit my marker at 65cm, 66cm, 68cm and 70cm then called it quits. When I got back I felt like I’d made my injury a little bit worse, so I had another epsom salt bath and planned to jump again ~48 hours before starting phase 5 so I don’t go into it with a weakened leg.

      7 Jun

      Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
      2 step and full approach jumps ~12

      I set it at 65cm (height jumped in week 0) which I managed from a lazy two step approach, then 68cm (previous PB going into Vert Code Elite) again with a strong contact. After flapping about at 72cm I put it to 70.5cm which I got from a 2 step. I realised my full approach is weak because I’m not accelerating into it, so I started taking more composed steps and then attacking the penultimate. I touched my marker at 72cm then with the final jump of the session I got 73cm (28.75″) which is 1cm off my PB.

      I was checking the video every few attempts and it was obvious I was not extending properly into the penultimate, but as this would mean extending my injured leg I didn’t want to risk anything so I let myself do the more reserved technique. I feel a bit tender now and will probably hold at 90% effort for the first few sessions back before really committing, but I decided beforehand I’d only feel up for Phase 5 if I could get 72cm and I went a little better so I’m confident about going on.

      Here’s me touching the marker at 73cm, which is 4cm from the rim and 1cm off my all time PB which was set in week 12 (end of phase 3)

      in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10364
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 34

        28 May

        Tuck Planche – 7,12,10,7,3 secs (39 total)
        Dying Roach – 3 x 50 secs
        Hollow Body Hold – 2 x 30 secs

        The following day I had a sore back and that’s the second time, so I’m not doing this combination of ab exercises again.

        31 May

        Warm up: Bring Sally Up Push Up Challenge (80 secs)
        Bent Arm Tuck Planche – 18,17,14,14,13 secs
        TRX Tucks – 15,15,12
        Bring Sally Up Push Up Challenge (90 secs)

        I wanted to increase shoulder strength so I did a push up hold challenge until I was feeling tired. That’s likely why I didn’t hit 20 secs in my bent arm tucks, I also did the TRX tucks which I want to incorporate more often as I can sense the carryover to both tuck to handstand and the full planche.

        Here are some TRX Tucks:

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10363
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 33

          21 May

          PPPu – 8,8,6,6,4
          Raised L-sit – 14,15,11 secs @ 60cm object

          24 May

          Advanced Tuck w Toes – 12 secs
          Planche Lean Touch – 23cm, 4 x 25cm, 0 x 26cm
          A1 Sphinx Push ups – 30,13,10
          A2 TRX Tucks – 10,10,10

          The lean touch is a new exercise, it’s a planche lean but I made a wooden frame that my shoulders can touch and measure the distance from the frame to a chalk line I don’t let my hands go beyond. The idea is that this is what I want to increase if I am to do a full planche, and I feel like my shoulder strength is the limiting factor.

          Here’s a video of it in practice:

          in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10362
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            ADDUCTOR REHAB

            Injured on 25 May ~3pm

            It’s probably a strong Grade 1 and my best estimate is 2-3 weeks.

            26 May

            Foam Roll healthy leg

            28 May

            Tried the VCE Foam Roll & Dynamic WU, some discomfort during the foam rolling, A-Skips were fine but I was unable to do jumping jacks at all.

            29 May

            Epsom Salt Bath – 25 mins (hot!!)

            30 May

            Foam Roll & Dynamic WU – very minor discomfort during the foam roll of adductors, also able to do jumping jacks with no pain.

            Walk 400m
            Jog 1 mile @ 15:30 pace
            Walk 400m

            I wanted to log the walk because it’s not a guarantee that I can do things like that. I walked to a nearby park and did a very tentative jog at near enough walking pace, having to stop every minute or so to shake my leg out. I could tell if I increased speed even slightly the injury was troubling me. I was in lycra shorts but the thigh wasn’t strapped in any way.

            31 May

            Running warm up

            Walk 400m
            Jog 2 miles @ 10:30, 9:45 pace
            Walk 400m

            Static Stretching

            This isn’t that much faster than yesterday, the main difference was not stopping at all. I did notice my leg warmed up after 3/4 mile and I picked up the pace, it’s still very much a plod than a full run so I’m not getting ahead of myself. I had stopped static stretching because it was listed as optional and he said it isn’t that important, but I feel better including it again.

            in reply to: Vert Code Elite (Feb 2020) #10361
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 16

              20 May

              Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
              Lateral Band Exercise – 3 sets
              SL Jump – 3 sets
              Bounding Series – 2 sets
              Hurdle Jumps – 6 sets
              Weighted Pistol Variation – 3 sets
              RDL – 3 x 6 x 72.5kg

              21 May

              Core/balance/feet supersets

              23 May

              Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
              1st Step Exercise – 3 sets
              Weighted DB Skip – 3 sets
              Hurdle Jumps – 4 sets
              Step Up Variation – 3 sets
              Jump Technique – 15 mins

              I changed the last exercise, choosing instead to go back to Phase 1 and do some jump mechanics before trying a few 2 step and full approaches. This was much better and I was rediscovering the technique that made me feel so springy. Still no PB unfortunately.

              24 May

              Core/balance/feet supersets

              25 May

              Foam Roll & Dynamic WU
              Agility drill – 4 sets
              Bounding – 1.5 sets (adductor injury)

              I am gutted. I had already planned a week of rest because I could tell my body is tired and needs a break. I tried to get a little extra distance off my right foot in the bounds and I had a sharp pain in my upper thigh. I immediately walked home and iced it, then took an ice bath, now it’s compressed and elevated while I plan my rehab. By the descriptions it unfortunately looks like a grade 2, which could mean 8 weeks out. The most frustrating part about that is I would need to start from an earlier phase rather than picking up where I left off.

              Here are some hurdle jumps from earlier in the week.

            Viewing 5 posts - 451 through 455 (of 722 total)