Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 401 through 405 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10460
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEKS 66-68

      11 Jan

      L-Sit to Tuck Planche – 4,4,4,3
      Advanced Tuck Planche – 7,7,7,6,6 secs

      13 Jan

      Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 9.5kg
      A1 Weighted Pull ups – 4 x 5 x 15kg
      A2 Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 4 x 8
      EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 10 x 21kg
      Handstand practice – 4 x 30 secs
      Reverse Table Top – 30 secs

      16 Jan

      Pseudo Waistline Hold – 2 x 2 x 10 secs
      PPPu – 5,4
      PPPu negatives – 8,8
      Planche Lean – 2 x 4 x 15 secs

      18 Jan

      Arnold Press – 3 x 12 x 9.5kg
      A1 Weighted Pull ups – 3 x 5 x 15kg
      A2 Pike Push up (feet elevated) – 3 x 9
      A3 EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 8 x 23.5kg
      A4 Handstand practice – 3 x 25 secs
      A5 Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 7
      Reverse Table Top – 30 secs

      I can’t really spare much time for this session so I cut nearly all the rest periods and did it as a circuit. This worked really well and it’s a shame I didn’t try this sooner.

      23 Jan

      L-sit to Tuck Planche – 4,4,3
      Advanced Tuck Planche – 5,6,7,6 secs

      30 Jan

      Pseudo Waistline Hold – 15,8,15,7
      PPPu Negatives – 5
      Planche Lean – 2 x 4 x 15 secs

      I’m getting a bit bored of this session and have been pushing to complete a 20 second waistline hold so I can move on.

      in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10459
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 9

        22 Feb

        Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
        Pogo Jumps – 5 x 20 secs
        Wall Drill – 2 x 6
        Arm Drill – 3 x 10
        Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
        Broad Jumps – 6, best of 2.48m
        A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 3 x 5
        A2 Mechanics Primer – 3 x 4
        2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side

        I removed the ziani leg lift so that I could do the Wall/Arm drills between sets of pogo jumps. I brought in two jumping drills from Vert Code Elite phase 1 instead of my approach jumps and pop ups. These felt so much better and the main focus is on a big penultimate step and for the primer it’s about arm swing.

        23 Feb

        Concentric-only Deadlift – 60,90,100,110,120,130,140kg
        CMJ – 2 x 4
        Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 60kg
        Overhead Squat – 4 x 5 x 20kg
        A1 BB Drach RLESS – 3 x 6 x 26kg
        A2 Split Jumps – 3 x 10
        Nordic Curls – 2 x 6
        Ab Ripper X – Half of each set

        I used to do a concentric-only deadlift (drop from the top) prior to rugby training and I’d feel amazing having maximally recruited my muscles without much fatigue. It didn’t really work out here so I won’t be repeating that. Two programs had an overhead squat in, mainly for flexibility, and Drach RLESS is straight from Vert Code Elite Phase 3. I superset with split jumps, then realised that the RLESS are explosive too so it’s not really that complex training pairing of heavy and then fast. I said in month 1 I might put in ab ripper x and I have done, but I eased in knowing I’ll otherwise be sore for days.

        25 Feb

        Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
        Pogo Jumps – 5 x 20 secs
        Wall Drill – 2 x 6
        Arm Drill – 3 x 10
        Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
        Broad Jumps – 6, best of 2.52m
        A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 3 x 5
        A2 Mechanics Primer – 3 x 4
        2 step 2 footed jumps – 7 per side

        Best I’ve jumped this year in broad jump. I put in an extra 2 footed jump after getting feedback on my jump volume, I’ll add more on Mondays too.

        26 Feb

        Patrick Step Up – 2 x 10 x 60kg
        Single Leg Hip Raise (3 sec ISO) – 3 x 6 x 20kg
        Floor to Ceiling Jumps – 3 x 8
        DB SLRDL – 3 x 6 x 10kg
        Sissy Squats – 20,19,14 (max reps)
        Seated Calf Raise – 15 x 20kg, 15 x 30kg
        Ab Ripper X – complete

        The hip raise is mainly for glute activation, floor to ceiling jumps are just jumps for height but touching the floor each rep. I did a body-weight leg program once and loved sissy squats so they go in, I’m not sure about going to failure in a jump program but we’ll see how it goes. Ab ripper X was every bit as horrible as I remember.

        28 Feb

        Rowing Machine – 4 x 500m in 1:58-2:08
        7 stretches from Supple Leopard

        I went quite aggressive with the pace last week so wanted to dial it back.

        Here are some overhead squats

        in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10458
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 8

          15 Feb

          Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
          A1 Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
          A2 Ziani Leg Lifts – 4 x 60 secs (94cm)
          Wall Drill – 2 x 6
          Arm Drill – 3 x 10
          Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
          Broad Jumps – 5, best of 2.42m
          2 step approach – 8 per side
          2 step pop ups – 4 per side
          2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side
          Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

          16 Feb

          Banded Pull Through – 3 x 8
          Tuck Jumps – 2 x 12
          Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 60kg
          ATG Split Squat – 2 x 10 x 45kg
          Depth Jumps – 4 x 4 x exercise bench (50cm?)
          Front Squats (max intent) – 3 x 5 x 65kg
          Nordic Curls – 3 x 7

          18 Feb

          Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
          A1 Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
          A2 Ziani Leg Lifts – 4 x 60 secs (94cm)
          Wall Drill – 2 x 6
          Arm Drill – 3 x 10
          Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
          Broad Jumps – 5, best of 2.43m
          2 step approach – 8 per side
          2 step pop ups – 4 per side
          2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side
          Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

          19 Feb

          Banded Pull Through – 3 x 8
          Tuck Jumps – 2 x 12
          Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 60kg
          ATG Split Squat – 2 x 7 x 50kg
          Weighted Jumps – 4 x 4 x 50kg
          SL Jump to Bench – 3 x 8 per leg
          RDL – 3 x 6 x 90kg

          I read an article by Bret Contreras which said that 30% 1RM for peak power isn’t always the best option. For power cleans it’s closer to 80% so I went heavier with weighted jumps, before seeing a Mike Boyle article stating that a weight allowing you to jump 70-80% of your unweighted best vert is ideal. For me that would be 10-12kg, so a 5-6kg DB in each hand.

          21 Feb

          Rowing Machine – 10 x 1 min on/1 min off, 1:50-1:56/500m pace
          7 stretches from Supple Leopard

          in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10457
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEK 7

            8 Feb

            CMJ – 18 reps, 0-5kg attached
            2 step approach – 8 per side
            2 step pop ups – 4 per side
            2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side

            This was for a YouTube video but I’ll count it as one of my two ‘deload’ sessions for the month.

            9 Feb

            OFF

            Again, I have a 4 session 4 week program and will take 2 of 16 off as a rest in order to keep fresh. This one made sense because I was quite sore after all the CMJ yesterday.

            11 Feb

            Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
            A1 Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
            A2 Ziani Leg Lifts – 4 x 60 secs (94cm)
            Wall Drill – 2 x 6
            Arm Drill – 3 x 10
            Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
            Broad Jumps – 5, best of 2.40m
            2 step approach – 8 per side
            2 step pop ups – 4 per side
            2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side
            Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

            The broad jump was a guess, I didn’t write it down.

            12 Feb

            Banded Pull Through – 3 x 8
            Tuck Jumps – 2 x 12
            Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 60kg
            ATG Split Squat – 2 x 10 x 45kg
            Weighted Jumps – 4 x 4 x 40kg
            SL Jump to Bench – 3 x 8 per leg
            RDL – 3 x 6 x 85kg

            RDL was quite easy, might increase it. I really like tuck jumps, hopefully they are actually good for my progress too.

            14 Feb

            Rowing Machine – 4 x 500m (2 mins), 1:55.X/500m pace
            7 stretches from Supple Leopard

            I was short on time so switched to a split 2km row at a similar pace to last week. I jump the next day and usually do this in the evening so should probably move it, ~16 hours doesn’t seem like enough time to let my body settle after rowing and stretching.

            in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10456
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 6

              1 Feb

              Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
              A1 Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
              A2 Ziani Leg Lifts – 4 x 60 secs (94cm)
              Wall Drill – 2 x 6
              Arm Drill – 3 x 10
              Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
              Broad Jumps – 5, best of 2.48m
              2 step approach – 8 per side
              2 step pop ups – 4 per side
              2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side
              Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

              2 Feb

              Banded Pull Through – 3 x 8
              Tuck Jumps – 2 x 11
              Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 55kg
              ATG Split Squat – 2 x 10 x 40kg
              Depth Jumps – 4 x 4 x exercise bench (50cm?)
              Front Squats (max intent) – 5 x 62.5,65,65kg
              Nordic Curls – 3 x 7

              Pleased to see my patrick step ups keep improving, front squat was a better weight as before the bar was leaving my shoulders at the top of the movement, an indication it was too light. One other change was to the split squats, now that I’ve reached a decent weight I wanted to drop to two sets and give my thighs a bit of a break.

              4 Feb

              Resistance Band Dorsiflexion – 2 x 15
              A1 Pogo Jumps – 4 x 20 secs
              A2 Ziani Leg Lifts – 4 x 60 secs (94cm)
              Wall Drill – 2 x 6
              Arm Drill – 3 x 10
              Plank/Plyo/Speed Skater Combo – 3 sets
              Broad Jumps – 5, best of 2.42m
              2 step approach – 8 per side
              2 step pop ups – 4 per side
              2 step 2 footed jumps – 6 per side
              Tibialis Raise – 25 reps

              5 Feb

              Banded Pull Through – 3 x 8
              Tuck Jumps – 2 x 11
              Patrick Step Up – 2 x 15 x 55kg
              ATG Split Squat – 2 x 10 x 40kg
              Weighted Jumps – 4 x 4 x 40kg
              SL Jump to Bench – 3 x 8 per leg
              RDL – skipped

              My lower back was causing me minor discomfort so there was no point aggravating it with RDL, otherwise business as usual.

              7 Feb

              Rowing Machine – 10 x 1 min on/1 min off, 1:54/500m pace
              7 stretches from Supple Leopard

              I had to briefly jog to catch up with my wife on a walk the other day and I was wheezing by the time I got to her. Cardio required. I love/hate the erg so instead of a 3 min warm up prior to stretching I did some repeat 1 min reps at my 1k pace.

              Here are my depth jumps, I bought a gym floor tile which I can drop anywhere and give myself a proper surface to land on.

            Viewing 5 posts - 401 through 405 (of 722 total)