Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 391 through 395 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10483
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEK 16

      19 Apr

      Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 254cm)
      A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
      A2 Mechanics Primer – 2 x 4
      2 step jumps – 10, LR = 72cm, RL = 73cm
      Res. Band Adductor – 2 x 40 secs
      Standing Hip Flexor Hold – 3 x 20 secs x 5kg

      Really good session, I was in the groove with my RL take-off and found success getting a little closer to the rim with my final two contacts. I added 4cm to my PB on that side but couldn’t replicate that improvement with my LR. My all time PB still stands at 74cm but it was definitely under threat today.

      21 Apr

      Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
      Split Jumps – 3 x 5 per side
      SL Line Hops – 3 sets

      23 Apr

      REST

      I had laser tattoo removal on the 22nd because I need to get in two sessions before I’m away on holiday. It meant having to skip my final session of the program.

      26 Apr

      Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 245cm)
      A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 1 x 5
      A2 Mechanics Primer – 1 x 4
      2 step jumps – 10, LR = 71cm, RL = 71cm

      I’m not sure where to go from here so I tried one more Monday jump session. I’m probably a little deconditioned having had four days off and my tattoo recovery doesn’t help matters. It’s interesting my broad jump was also down, if there’s a strong correlation I could either a) use broad jump improvement to track progress or b) abandon a session in favour of a recovery day if my broad jump is way down on my best.

      Having got to the stage where I’m 1cm away from my personal best it feels like I should repeat the same week to see where it takes me. If I think about my sprint training at Uni then “in-season” would be mid-May to late August, and the weight room would only be for maintenance. Vert Shock also has a “maintenance phase” so the idea isn’t to just keep going back to week 1 every few months.

      Here’s my 73cm from a RL takeoff

      in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10482
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        WEEK 15

        13 Apr

        Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 255cm)
        A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
        A2 Mechanics Primer – 2 x 4
        2 step jumps – 10, LR = 72cm, RL = 69cm
        Rugby Ball Adductor Squeeze – 30 secs
        Res. Band Adductor – 30 secs
        Standing Hip Flexor Hold – 2 x 20 secs x 5kg

        Improved my broad jump by 1cm, this was into a wind if that has any impact. Decent jumps, it was windy and a bit cold so my enthusiasm wasn’t there. I equalled my PB going RL, took me a while to realise which cues help so I might write them down before next week (emphasis on lowering centre of mass with the penultimate, push-punch, aggressive arm swing and accelerating into the final steps). I wanted a new exercise for my adductor and tried a few out, then changed the hip flexor exercise to one I did at Uni.

        14 Apr

        REST

        The previous session was meant to be on the 12th but I woke up to snow.. in April.. so I postponed it a day. I planned to take a rest at some point and this fitted in nicely.

        16 Apr

        Flying Runs – 6 x 25m in 2.93,2.94,2.78,2.78,2.81,2.78
        Shock Jumps – 3 x 5 x 100cm
        Reverse Nordics – 3 x 12

        A generous tailwind helped me to faster times, wasn’t feeling great and needed 5 mins rest between reps instead of 3.5-4 mins.

        17 Apr

        Massage gun – glutes, adductors, calves
        Dom Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

        Yesterday took longer than expected so I didn’t have time for abs. Only a single circuit with jumping session in 48 hours, also did the massage gun and prefer that to my mobility stretches.

        A relatively good week of training, some faster times and higher jumps. The court I jump on is very exposed and there’s always a cold breeze which means I have to wrap up warm to jump. If I piece everything together and hit a jump well I can absolutely trouble my PB of 74cm. Here’s 69cm going RL.

        in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10481
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEK 14

          5 Apr

          Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 254cm)
          A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
          A2 Mechanics Primer – 2 x 4
          2 step jumps – 10, LR = 70cm
          Copenhagen Plank – 2 x 40 secs
          Kneeling Hip Flexor Raise – 3 x 30 secs

          Repeated my broad jump best, felt slightly better this week than last. Measured the rim at 9’5, 287cm, so could work out my vert at about 70cm based on how high above it I could touch. I started this session at 9.30am because I was worried the court would be busy in the afternoon but based on my sprint session on Fridays it could be free. Next week I’ll do an afternoon session as my jumps are generally better at that time of day.

          My adductor is bothering me so I added in Copenhagen plank, and I also saw a few posts about hip flexors for jumping so I added in a leg raise that can replace Kadour Ziani’s leg lifts.

          7 Apr

          Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
          Split Jumps – 3 x 5 per side
          SL Line Hops – 3 x 20 secs per leg of Fwd/Bwd and Lateral

          This workout is surprisingly tiring because on paper it seems so simple.

          9 Apr

          Flying Runs – 6 x 25m (2.97,2.84,2.94,2.94,2.84,2.84)
          Shock Jumps – 3 x 5 x 100cm
          Reverse Nordics (band assist) – 3 x 12
          Dominik Sky Beginner Abs – 2 circuits

          I didn’t have my stopwatch last week but had it this time. When I sprinted at Uni I could probably do 2.65, and 0.2 seconds over 25m is quite a lot. Still, I was pleased with the sequence and optimistic I can improve next week. My legs were quite sore and I wanted to reduce the volume even further, so I removed one set of shock jumps and 3 reps off the reverse nordics. I increased the ab work and this was a decent level of difficulty.

          10-11 Apr

          No stretching or soft tissue

          It seems so weird to take a break from recovery, but my legs feel quite fatigued and I just want to leave them alone for 72 hours rather than eliciting further soreness through massage. I also want to let my adductor heal a bit and my stretching can sometimes aggravate it.

          Here are my flying runs from Friday, if you aren’t aware a flying run is going full speed between a set of cones but not accelerating flat out to reach top speed. My impression is that if you want to do an exercise with short ground contact time then this is what you choose, as accelerating tends to be longer contacts and very tiring. Daniel Back had the same idea when he wrote Jump Science 2.0, as that includes flying runs.

          in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10471
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEKS 73-76

            5 Mar

            Bent Arm Straddle Planche – 7 attempts (all under 2 secs)
            Bent Arm Straddle Jumps – 2 x 10

            I was nowhere near holding this for a sustained time, the jumps were much better because I could pop up into position and at least accumulate a little bit of time in there.

            11 Mar

            Bent Arm Straddle Planche – 7 attempts (all under 2 secs)
            Bent Arm Straddle Jumps – 2 x 10

            Same again, a little better this time.

            17 Mar

            L-Sit – 8 x 15 secs

            My inconsistency has cost me and I’ve lost some of my basic strength, meaning it’s pointless trying anything too advanced.

            23 Mar

            Bent Arm Straddle Planche – 2,2,3,3 secs, 2,2,1,1 secs
            Tuck planche to Bent Arm Straddle – 5,4
            Bent Arm Straddle Jumps – 3 x 10
            Straddle PPPu – 2 x 7

            This was Osvaldo Lugones next workout progression, the PPPU are actually easier because of the straddle stance. I quite liked the tuck to bent arm straddle, the first few were quite graceful but by the end I was basically falling with style.

            28 Mar

            Bent Arm Straddle Planche – 2,2,3,3 secs, 3,2,2,3 secs, 1,2,1,1 secs
            Tuck planche to Bent Arm Straddle – 2 x 5
            Bent Arm Straddle Jumps – 10,10,7
            Straddle PPPu – 2 x 7

            Slightly better than last time, he suggests four rounds and I was trying to build up the volume without falling to pieces.

            in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10470
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 13

              29 Mar

              Broad Jumps – 7 (best of 254cm)
              A1 Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
              A2 Mechanics Primer – 2 x 4
              2 step jumps – 3
              4 step jumps – 3
              2 step jumps – 4

              A few cm further in broad jumps, always nice to make progress. The intention was to do some full jumps but my technique immediately starts breaking down so I feel sticking to a 2 step is what’s best for me right now. I easily touched the rim, it’s certainly way down on 10ft so I will measure it next week. (edit: it’s 9ft5 or 287cm)

              31 Mar

              Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 5
              Split Jumps – 3 x 5 per side
              SL Line Hops – 3 x 20 secs per leg of Fwd/Bwd and Lateral

              The seated jumps were meant to be with feet in the same stance as they’d be from a running vert but that felt really unnatural so I just did the standard ones. I landed on grass to reduce the impact, I don’t have a suitable box to jump on.

              2 Apr

              Flying Runs – 6 x 20m
              Shock Jumps – 4 x 5 x 100cm
              Reverse Nordics (band assist) – 3 x 15
              Dominik Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

              Flying runs are top speed runs but not accelerating maximally. The idea was to reduce fatigue but having thought about it the more sensible thing would be to make the run itself a little longer, so next week I’ll do 25m. I didn’t have my stopwatch so I’ve no idea what time they were but I felt very rusty.

              Someone messaged me about a good ab routine and I tried it out. I did one circuit in around 8 minutes, excluding the max. plank. I could have done more but I was worried I’d be hurting for days (I wasn’t).

              3 Apr

              Foam Rolling and Massage Gun

              Really liking the massage gun, main target was VMO, calves, adductors and glutes.

              4 Apr

              7 mobility stretches

              Here are my shock jumps, I wanted to avoid my heels touching which should be good for the Achilles and ankle strength.

            Viewing 5 posts - 391 through 395 (of 722 total)