Fraser Young

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 5 posts - 386 through 390 (of 722 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10490
    Fraser Young
    Keymaster

      WEEKS 86-89

      7 June

      Upper body stretches, 6

      I spent a full week looking after my 8 month old twins to give my wife a break and my back and shoulders felt horrific from all the lifting, burping and soothing (they are 8kg each).

      13 June

      Pseudo waistline straddle hold – 2 x 4 x 5 secs
      L-Sit/Tucked l-sit/straddle – 5,4,5

      I need to incorporate more straddle if I want to make progress.

      17 June

      Circuit-style:
      Arnold Press – 10,10 x 8.5kg
      Slow Pull ups – 2 x 5
      Pike Pushups – 2 x 6
      EZ Bar Curls – 2 x 9 x 21.5kg
      L-sit – 2 x 15 secs
      Slow Pushups – 2 x 10
      DB Hammer Curls – 2 x 10 x 8.5kg
      V-Situps – 2 x 12

      I subbed in L-sit as I won’t have access to a pull up bar for a few months.

      I had my second vaccination on the 23rd so needed a few days off. I’m in Lithuania from 20 June to 12 Aug and really need to settle on a routine to avoid stalling. I’ve already purchased parallettes so should be able to get something done next week.

      in reply to: 2021 Training Log #10489
      Fraser Young
      Keymaster

        7 June

        Jefferson Curls – 8 x 5kg
        Reverse Nordics (band assist) – 2 x 10

        8 June

        Brisk walk – 32 mins
        Burpees – 60 in 6 mins

        These were challenges from a book I’m reading called AMRAP.

        9 June

        ATS – 3 x 4
        Patrick Step ups – 3 x 12 x 5kg
        ATG Split Squat – 3 x 10 x 17kg
        Nordic Curls – 3 x 8
        SL Calf Raise – 3 x 12 x BW

        I like this series and while I have limited time & gym access over summer I need to consider shorter workouts

        11 June

        Run – 5.38km in 31:28

        I tried running one direction for 15 mins then turning, ended up going too far.

        18 June

        Run – 5km in 26:54

        My wife had a freebie sachet of pre-workout which I necked before this run. It had 250mg caffeine which is a LOT for me. Probably reduced my RPE which is a big factor because I don’t really push myself in cardio.

        26 June

        Circuit: 10 push ups, 20 BW squats – 8 rounds

        Another challenge from the AMRAP book.

        I’m in Lithuania from 20 June to 12 August and I’m still in quarantine so can’t hit the public gym. I will do a short leg session this week to stay active.

        in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10487
        Fraser Young
        Keymaster

          WEEKS 82-85

          9 May

          L-Sit/Tuck planche/Tuck Pushup – 5 x 3
          L-Sit/Tuck planche/Straddle – 4,5,5
          Slow Scap Pushups – 3 x 12

          15 May

          L-Sit/Tuck planche/Tuck Pushup – 5 x 3
          L-Sit/Tuck planche/Straddle – 2 x 4
          Slow Scap Pushups – 3 x 10

          18 May

          Circuit-style:
          Arnold Press – 3 x 8 x 8.5kg
          Slow Pull ups – 3 x 5
          Pike Pushups – 3 x 6
          EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 8 x 21.5kg
          Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 5
          Slow Pushups – 3 x 10
          DB Hammer Curls – 3 x 8 x 8.5kg
          V-Situps – 3 x 10

          I had ~30 secs rest between each exercise. I introduced a few slower exercises, my feeling is that isometric holds require stability and so rushing through reps of pull ups isn’t that helpful, you need strength through the whole range of motion.

          23 May

          L-Sit/Tuck Planche/Tuck pushup – 4,4,3,3,2
          Pseudo Waistline Straddle Lowers – 5
          Pseudo Waistline Straddle Hold – 2 x 4 x 5 secs
          Slow Straddle PPPu – 3 x 2

          I mixed up my session, getting a bit disheartened and how little progress I’m seemingly making.

          26 May

          Circuit-style:
          Arnold Press – 8,10,10 x 8.5kg
          Slow Pull ups – 3 x 5
          Pike Pushups – 3 x 6
          EZ Bar Curls – 3 x 9 x 21.5kg
          Hanging Toes to Bar – 3 x 5
          Slow Pushups – 3 x 10
          DB Hammer Curls – 3 x 9 x 8.5kg
          V-Situps – 3 x 12

          Next week I won’t have any time to gym so I’ll pick this up in June

          in reply to: Full Planche (Oct 2019) #10485
          Fraser Young
          Keymaster

            WEEKS 77-81

            1 Apr

            Straddle Bent Arm Planche – 3,2,2,2 secs, 4 x 2 secs
            Tuck to Straddle Bent Arm Planche – 5 attempts
            Straddle Bent Arm Planche Jump & Hold – 10 attempts
            Straddle PPPu – 10
            L-sit to tuck to tuck planche – 2,3,4
            Scap Pushups – 8,10,8

            I got a bit disheartened at the session I had been doing and went off on a tangent.

            6 Apr

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to tuck planche – 4 x 5
            Slow Scap Pushups – 4 x 8

            I stuck with my tangent, this series of transitions has helped me so much so I wanted to get back to doing it. I was trying tuck planche push ups and not managing more than 2-3, which made me realise my base level strength could do with some work. I did some slow pushups with a retracted scapula at the top (rounded back) and these felt good (and tough!).

            11 Apr

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to straddle planche – 5,4,5,5,4
            Slow Scap Pushups – 9,9,9,8,9

            I briefly popped my legs out into a straddle and was pleased with the stability I had, possibly due to my new parallettes. I’m quite happy to just do this session every 5 days and see if I can make progress.

            16 Apr

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to straddle planche – 5,5,4,4,3
            Slow Scap Pushups – 9,9,9,7

            21 Apr

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to straddle planche – 5,5,5,3,3
            Slow Scap Pushups – 10,9,8,8

            27 Apr

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to tuck planche to tuck pushups – 12 singles
            Slow Scap Pushups – 11,11,10,9

            I added to the combo move as I’m quite stable in a tuck planche. From there I lowered into a tuck planche pushup and back, then returning to the sequence of tucked l-sit and l-sit. That doubles as pushup work but I still added in some slow scap pushups to finish.

            2 May

            L-sit to tucked l-sit to tuck planche to tuck pushups – 2,2,2,3,2,2,2,2,2
            Slow Scap Pushups – 11,11,9,8,8

            I got ahead of myself with the 3 reps but I was doing two sequences back to back quite well. I also tried to lower into a straddle bent arm planche but it went horribly wrong so I won’t be doing that any time soon. I still feel like progress is being made but it would be nice to add in a straddle element.

            Here is the single L-sit/tucked l-sit/tuck planche/tuck pushup combo. Another option is to progress this into a handstand, but being able to do sets of 5+ would surely help with my planche goals.

            in reply to: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020) #10484
            Fraser Young
            Keymaster

              WEEK 16 + 1

              28 Apr

              Around The Square – 3 x 4
              Tuck Jumps – 2 x 12
              Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
              Split Jumps – 3 x 6 per side

              29 Apr

              Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
              Depth Jumps – 3 x 8
              SL Box Jumps – 2 x 8 per leg
              Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 8

              30 Apr

              Uphill Accelerations – 4 x 20m
              Uphill Squat Jumps – 3 x 15
              Dom Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

              I’ve been reading up about strength and power training and one chapter showed how long your muscles take to be fully fresh after a workout. Once the soreness/stiffness disappears it’s still another 5-7 days. Some of the other chapters also helped me realise that some light plyometric work for an extra week could be beneficial. I turned to the first three days of Vert Shock and customised it to suit my needs.

              5 May

              Broad Jumps – 7, best of 254cm
              Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
              Mechanics Primer – 1 x 5
              Full Approach (2 foot) – 12, best LR = 72cm, best RL = 77cm!!

              Wow. Firstly, it’s eerie how my broad jump is almost the same to the cm. I even flipped the tape measure and used inches, only converting when I was done with all attempts. I hit 75cm with my first RL approach and 76cm soon after. On the 7th or 8th attempt (video below) I managed 77cm, which is a 3cm (1.2 inch) personal best.

              It leaves me in a bit of a predicament, because my technique wasn’t perfect, but on reflection I still want to chill for a week and maybe go to the courts for fun instead of to measure my jumps. My legs still have a residual achiness so time off will do them good. I’m 34 so this is probably my last summer doing jump training and then the plan is to pick up something as a Masters athlete, probably 100/200m sprinting.

            Viewing 5 posts - 386 through 390 (of 722 total)