Soccer Ball Throw Ins (Oct 2021)

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Fraser_9to5
    Keymaster

WEEK 5

8 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 11) – 10 throws, median 19.1m
      Med Ball Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
      Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 20kg
      Swiss Ball Stir the pot (ABC) – 3 x 40 secs

10 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 12) – 10 throws, median 19.55m
      Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 20kg

13 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 13) – 10 throws, median 19.35m
      Swiss Ball Crunch – 3 x 12 x 25kg

Three of the same session, I don’t really feel like much changes but perhaps it’s a lot to expect to throw an extra metre or two from a week of training. I will look to progress my technique next week.

Fraser_9to5
      Keymaster

WEEK 6

15 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 14.1) – 10 throws, median 19.45m
        Heavy Throw ins – 5 x 950g, median 15.7m
        Throw Ins (Session 14.2) – 10 throws, median 20.1m

I filled an unwanted football with water to about 1kg, then weighed it later. This was in Thomas Gronnemark’s YT video on improving throws, using a heavier ball then switching to a lighter ball. I thought it went well and the extra training meant that I dropped core work this week.

17 Nov

Throw In Technique – 100 throws

I was aiming at a basketball hoop with the intention of saving myself from running after the ball 100 times. Again from a Thomas Gronnemark video, the focus was on backspin as the ball is released and he suggests aiming for a crossbar. A basketball hoop is a bit higher than a crossbar (10ft vs 8ft) but it’s more about the release. I thought it went well, around 45-50 it was really clicking for me and the ball had a flatter trajectory.

20 Nov

Throw In Technique – 20 throws
        Throw Ins (Session 15) – 10 throws, median 20.0m
        Heavy Throw ins – 4 x 5 x 950g, median ~15.5, 16, 16, 16.5m
        Pull ups – 3 x 8

I did a few technical throws to get the feel of backspin again before my 10 max effort. They went well, I hit 21 metres for the first time and had several others in the high 20’s. The heavy throw ins went well too, I was only going to do 3 sets but I was throwing it a little further each set so added a 4th. Pull ups aren’t really related, my wife wants me to add a bit of mass to my upper body (I’m only 69kg) so I will put a few sets in.

Here are the technical throws. The council were repairing the grass right next to me so I was limited to about 22ft but I wouldn’t have gone much further back. The challenge would be from 54ft, which is the equivalent to the edge of the 18 yard box for a crossbar.

Fraser_9to5
        Keymaster

WEEK 7

22 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 16) – 10 throws, median 19.9m
          MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
          Pull ups – 3 x 6

23 Nov

Sports Massage – 60 mins

My shoulders and chest were very tight and I’ve developed internally rotated shoulders from my time hunched over my laptop. She did a good amount of work on them and I bought a set of trigger balls to keep on top of my chest from here. Likely to go see her again in Jan/Feb

27 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 17) – 10 throws, median 20.2m
          MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
          Pull ups – 3 x 7

I’ve hit a 21 metre throw in each of the last three sessions and I felt like I could go another 1-2 metres if I caught one nicely. Still working on backspin during release and my grip is decent. I feel like the weighted ball work will add the most distance from here.

Fraser_9to5
          Keymaster

WEEK 8

29 Nov

Throw Ins (Session 18) – 10 throws, median 18.7m
            MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
            EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 5 x 10 x 21kg
            Pull ups – 6 x 5

It was 2 degrees in my garden and my fingertips were numb after the first throw. This had a big impact on my ability to grip the ball, which led to some very poor misthrows. I wanted to wake up my triceps with skull crushers but not go too heavy, but this ended up giving me about 6 days of DOMS 🙂

3 Dec

Pull ups – 3 x 6
            Machine Rows – 3 x 8 x 25kg per side

I was doing a leg session in a public gym and threw in some upper body

WEEK 9

8 Dec

Throw In Technique – 100 throws

I was aiming for a metal structure as part of a basketball hoop and standing 22-24ft away. I do get the sense this is very valuable practice and an important part of a well rounded program.

11 Dec

Throw Ins (Session 19) – 10 throws, median 19.45m
            MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
            Pull ups – 7 x 5

It was a little warmer today but still 4-5 degrees and I had some misthrows (travelling about 15m). I did however set a new personal best of 21.4m. I haven’t hit a really nice throw yet and when I do I feel I have another metre or more to go. I’m also restricting myself to a 2.5 metre run up and even extending that to 3 metres will probably make a big difference.

Fraser_9to5
            Keymaster

PHASE 2

I sat down and took everything I’ve tried so far and structured it into three distinct sessions, which I’ll repeat each week.

WEEK 10

14 Dec

Throw In Technique – 10 x 10
              22, 23, 24, 3 x 25, 2 x 27, 28, 29ft

Time to really progress these. If I consistently hit on/near the target with my 10 throws I go further back. In the YouTube video Thomas Gronnemark spoke about trying to hit the crossbar from the 18 yard box (54 feet) so next session I’ll probably move back in multiples of 2 feet else I’ll never get there.

15 Dec

Heavy Throws – 4 x 5 x 950g
              EZ Bar Skull Crushers – 5 x 10 x 23.5kg
              Pull ups – 8 x 5
              Hollow Rock – 5 x 25 secs

Since I have a technical drill day I also wanted one with more muscle building exercises.

18 Dec

Throw Ins (Session 20) – 10 throws, median 19.25m
              MB Slams – 4 x 5 x 5kg
              Pull ups – 8 x 5
              Pullovers – 4 x 8 x 15kg plate
              Resistance Band Throw In ISO – 3 x 15 secs

I borrowed the concept of isometric –> eccentric –> concentric from my vertical jump training and held a resistance band in the throw in position (while holding a ball). I started with two 20m+ throws so to end with a median of low 19’s was disappointing. I’ll no doubt tweak the sessions from here but I’m more confident this is generally the right way to go.

Viewing 5 posts - 6 through 10 (of 22 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.