A great presentation by Dr Ludwig on the Dangers of Sugar.
My Notes on Sugar: The Bitter Truth
0 to 10 mins
- The average person today weighs 25lbs more than the average person did 25 years ago.
- Leptin is a hormone that comes from your fat cells and signals to your brain that you are full
- In 1982, The AHA, AMA and USDA suggested we reduce fat intake from 40% of calories to 30% of calories.
10 to 20 mins
- Children consumed 41% more soft drinks and 35% more fruit dinks over a five year period from 1990-1995.
- Coca Cola adds salt to the recipe which combined with caffeine to make you urinate more produces an increase in thirst. They use so much sugar in their product to hide the salt.
- There is a significant correlation between soft drink consumption and type II diabetes cases
- Negative lies made up by the Corn industry can be found here where they blatantly ignore evidence from medical studies
20 to 30 mins
- High Fructose Corn Syrup is so cheap they start using it in other processed food products, such as: Hamburger Buns, Pretzels, BBQ sauce, Ketchup, and the majority of bread (USA).
- The average person consumes 141 lbs of sugar a year
30 to 40 mins
- Pure, White and Deadly by John Yudkin was a book written in 1972. It predicted the detrimental effects of increasing sugar intake with great accuracy.
- Increase in Carbohydrate led to increase in type ‘B’ small dense LDL and increased heart disease
- To make products “low fat” companies pump in more sugar to replace the fat taken out
40 to 50 mins
- Fibre is removed from ‘fast-food’ to make it cook faster and increases shelf life
- Fructose does not suppress your hunger hormone. A child who has a can of soda before fast food will eat more than if they didn’t have the soda.
*Explanation of biochemistry can be skipped from 45 mins to 1 hr 01 mins*
60 to 70 mins
- Sucrose is 50% Glucose, 50% Fructose. Fructose can only be metabolised by the liver. (56:45)
- In elite athletes, HFCS replenishes glycogen quicker than glucose. That means a sports drink is a sensible option for them after high intensity exercise.
- The problem is children are consuming these sports drinks.
- When you are consuming fructose, you are consuming fat as that’s what 30% of it gets stored as.
70 to 80 mins
- Get rid of all sugared liquids – only water and milk
- Eat your carbohydrate with fibre
- Wait 20 minutes for second portions
- Buy your screen time minute-for-minute with physical activity
- Exercise improves skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity because it reduces stress, and resultant cortisol release
- Exercise is not about “burning calories”
- Eat carbohydrate with fibre, fruit in its natural source contains fibre with fructose
80 mins to END
- Fructose is metabolised like fat. Most “low fat” diets are therefore high fat.
- A calorie is not a calorie, and fructose is not glucose
Thanks for reading.