Reply To: Custom Jump Program (Nov 2020)

Fraser_9to5
Keymaster

WEEK 16 + 1

28 Apr

Around The Square – 3 x 4
    Tuck Jumps – 2 x 12
    Squat Jumps – 3 x 10
    Split Jumps – 3 x 6 per side

29 Apr

Lateral High Jumps – 3 x 20
    Depth Jumps – 3 x 8
    SL Box Jumps – 2 x 8 per leg
    Seated Box Jumps – 3 x 8

30 Apr

Uphill Accelerations – 4 x 20m
    Uphill Squat Jumps – 3 x 15
    Dom Sky Beginner Abs – 1 circuit

I’ve been reading up about strength and power training and one chapter showed how long your muscles take to be fully fresh after a workout. Once the soreness/stiffness disappears it’s still another 5-7 days. Some of the other chapters also helped me realise that some light plyometric work for an extra week could be beneficial. I turned to the first three days of Vert Shock and customised it to suit my needs.

5 May

Broad Jumps – 7, best of 254cm
    Penultimate Acceleration – 2 x 5
    Mechanics Primer – 1 x 5
    Full Approach (2 foot) – 12, best LR = 72cm, best RL = 77cm!!

Wow. Firstly, it’s eerie how my broad jump is almost the same to the cm. I even flipped the tape measure and used inches, only converting when I was done with all attempts. I hit 75cm with my first RL approach and 76cm soon after. On the 7th or 8th attempt (video below) I managed 77cm, which is a 3cm (1.2 inch) personal best.

It leaves me in a bit of a predicament, because my technique wasn’t perfect, but on reflection I still want to chill for a week and maybe go to the courts for fun instead of to measure my jumps. My legs still have a residual achiness so time off will do them good. I’m 34 so this is probably my last summer doing jump training and then the plan is to pick up something as a Masters athlete, probably 100/200m sprinting.