- Don’t worry about full extension of the arms.
- These are explosive and a great warm-up exercise for chest day.
- The ‘clap’ itself is not necessary – you can just make sure the hands leave the ground.
- Try 2-3 sets of 8 reps before your main workout to activate your chest muscles.
Cable Overhead Tricep Extension (Rope)
- This emphasises the Long and Medial Heads of the Triceps.
- Set the Cable around waist height to allow for overhead extension.
- Push the hands away at the top for a stronger contraction.
- You can also do single arm version.
- The dumbbell kickback hits the Lateral Head of the triceps.
- Full extension is important, so don’t go too heavy.
- To increase the contraction, hold at full extension for 1 second.
- Keep the elbow high for all reps.
- If you have access to a cable machine, that is a better alternative.
- The French Press hits the Long Head of the tricep.
- To make it easier on elbow and wrist joints, use an E-Z Curl Bar.
- Palms face forward, lower behind the head and extend to straight arm.
- You can also do this from a standing position.
Close Grip Bench Press
- Have the elbows OUT to hit the Lateral Head.
- Keep the elbows IN to hit the Medial/Long Heads.
- Straighten the arms each rep to hit the tricep fully.
- Lower it slowly under control.
- Try a pause at the bottom of the movement.
Single Arm Preacher Curl
- The Preacher Curl hits the Short Head of the bicep, as the arm is supported by the bench at full extension.
- You can do this over the back of a bench, or use a preacher curl station.
- Really focus on slowly lowering the weight for 3-4 seconds each rep.
- If you want to hit the Long Head, stick with a concentration curl.