Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
- Unsurprisingly, this hits the lateral deltoids.
- Take a slight bend in the elbow and have palms facing each other.
- Pull the shoulder blades back and have a neutral head.
- Raise the dumbbells so the wrists are level or slightly below shoulder height. Note that’s it common to get shoulder impingement from lifting any higher than that (my demo is perhaps a touch high).
- Pause for a split second and lower slowly, most of the benefits come from a controlled lowering of the dumbbells.
- Don’t go too heavy! These are small muscles that fatigue quickly, keep good form.