- Chest activation is NOT any better with very wide arms.
- Regular press-ups will hit your chest just as much, and put less stress on the shoulder joint.
- To emphasise more chest, don’t push the elbows to full extension.
- Put your feet on a raised surface to hit the upper chest.
Pec Deck Flyes
- Adjust the handles so that at full range of motion the chest is lightly stretched.
- Slight bend in the elbows, rotate shoulders so the elbows are behind you and keep them at wrist and shoulder height.
- Head and back against the pad, smoothly bring to centre and back.
- Breathe out as you pull together, and breathe in as you return.
Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
- Elbows come out to 45 degrees relative to the body.
- Can be limited by how much weight you can get into position.
- Good for middle rep ranges of 8-12 reps.
- Keep the shoulders back.
- Don’t worry about full extension of the arms.
- These are explosive and a great warm-up exercise for chest day.
- The ‘clap’ itself is not necessary – you can just make sure the hands leave the ground.
- Try 2-3 sets of 8 reps before your main workout to activate your chest muscles.