Standing Barbell Shoulder Press
- This primarily hits your anterior and lateral deltoids.
- Align your knuckles with the bar so that when you press, your forearms are under the bar (forearms in front of the bar = wrist stress)
- Choose a grip that allows the forearms to remain close to vertical for the movement
- Have soft knees and don’t use them to generate momentum (that would be a push press)
- A good cue for the top position is to push “behind the ears”, meaning the head comes through
- Avoid leaning back too much, doing so means the weight is likely too heavy