Wide-Grip Lat Pulldowns
- “Lat” stands for Latissimus Dorsi, the prime mover in this exercise.
- Tuck the chin so the bar can travel vertically down to the V of your neck.
- Think of the hands as hooks, the elbows are driving down and the back comes together.
- Don’t lean back excessively or use momentum.
- Similar to the Lat Pulldown, this will hit your Lats, as well as Mid-Traps and Teres muscles.
- Depress the Scapula.
- Think of bringing elbows towards your sides.
- Allow the arms to come to FULL extension at the bottom.
- Great tutorial video here.
Seated Cable Row
- This hits Rhomboids, Lower/Mid Traps and Lats.
- Keep your scapula depressed as best you can during the movement.
- Keep elbows in and pull to mid-torso.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together and briefly pause before returning to start.
Band Resisted Push-ups
- Use a band tough enough to provide decent resistance, while still allowing full extension.
- Loop the band around each arm and across the mid-tricep.
- Perform either on a low barbell or on the floor.
- This hits your Posterior Chain.
- Keep a flat back, lats tight and arms vertical.
- The bar should be close if not touching shins at the bottom of the lift.
- Brace your abs and lift the bar, keeping head neutral and the bar over the middle of your feet.
- Brush the thighs as you lower, pushing the hips back, and lower vertically once below the knee.