The “Westside” Template is by Joe DeFranco and can be found here.
It is a three day layout and this template is designed for ATHLETES. By that I mean they have sport specific training and conditioning sessions several times a week, so three lifting sessions is plenty. The basic setup is below. Feel free to move the days around but don’t train upper or lower body on consecutive days.
Monday – Maximal Effort Upper Body
Wednesday – Lower Body
Friday – Repetition Upper Body
The nice thing about this program is that there are plenty of OPTIONS.
For example, on Monday you have to do FIVE exercises, labelled A to E, but he gives 26 total exercises from which to pick.
This allows you to decide based on what equipment you have available to you or by which exercise you prefer.
For example here’s what I would pick:
- A – Regular Bench Press (work up to max set of 3-5 reps)
- B – Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3-4 sets of 6-10 reps)
- C – Bent-Over Barbell Row (4 sets of 10-15 reps)
- D – Bent-Over Dumbbell Rear Delt Flyes (2-3 sets of 12-15 reps)
- E – Hanging Leg Raises (3-4 sets of 8-15 reps)
- A – Trap Bar Deadlift (work up to max set of 5 reps)
- B – Barbell Reverse Lunges (3-4 setf of 8-15 reps)
- C – Romanian Deadlifts [RDL] (3-4 sets of 6-10 reps)
- D – Thick Bar Dumbbell Holds (3 sets for time)
- A – Regular Push-ups (3 sets of max reps, 60 seconds rest)
- B – EZ Bar Skull Crushers (3-4 sets of 510 reps)
- C – Chin-ups (4 sets of 8-12 reps)
- D – Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press (3 sets of 10-15 reps)
- E – Hammer Curls (3 sets of 8-10 reps)
- F – Ab Circuit
Note: If you check out my actual training log in the Forums, you will see that I do a lot of these exercises already.
Although the name suggests it’s for “Skinny Bastards” this is a great program for anyone in the first 2 years of lifting, or those who also train for a specific sport.