For those of you with access to a rowing machine, here’s a very Basic Rowing Workout for Fat Loss and improved Fitness.
Before you start it’s a good idea to warm up. Simply rowing at a relaxed pace for 500-1000 metres should be fine.
The workout is split up into 10 rounds of 1 minute intervals.
You will row for 60 seconds, then rest for 60 seconds, and repeat that 10 times.
Try and keep your stroke rate around 26-30 strokes per minute.
You should be working at 80-85% intensity, so that you are not fully recovered before the next rep.
Use the following checklist to make sure all parts of your rowing technique are correct:
- Sit up straight, shoulders down
- Loose grip on the handle – no squeezing
- Straight arms for the initial pull, and only bend towards the end of the stroke
- Think “Legs – Hips – Arms, Arms – Hips – Legs” for each stroke
- Pull the handle between lower chest and belly button
- Don’t go too quickly from the end of the stroke to the start of the next one, this is where a lot of beginners feel they need to rush things
Completing 10 x 1 minute row, 1 minute rest is just one of many combinations of workouts.
If you find it too hard, try 2 sets of 5 x 1 minute row, 1 minute rest with a longer break between.
Mix up the distance: Try 6 x 500m with 2 minutes rest, or 10 x 250m with 1 minute rest.
Include active rest: Instead of stopping to rest completely, you can try rowing at a relaxed pace between your reps.
Thanks for reading this article. Please SHARE this workout with friends and training partners!