Seated Cable Row
- This hits Rhomboids, Lower/Mid Traps and Lats.
- Keep your scapula depressed as best you can during the movement.
- Keep elbows in and pull to mid-torso.
- Squeeze shoulder blades together and briefly pause before returning to start.
- Set the bar slightly higher than arm length, to allow torso to be off the ground at the bottom of the movement.
- Arms should not be vertical, shift the bar over your lower chest.
- Keeping a straight line from shoulder to heel, pull your lower chest into the bar.
- Elbows at 45 degrees to the body.
- Set the bar up at mid-thigh on the pins, with a wider than shoulder width grip.
- Allow scapula to fully depress prior to the move.
- Using some momentum, pull the bar into the ‘shrug’ position, hold one second, and lower.
- This allows more weight than a conventional shrug and is actually safer for your levator scapulae.
- The move can also be done with heavy dumbbells.
Close Grip Lat Pulldown
- Keep elbows and arms tight to the body.
- Pull the handle down to middle chest.
- Upright (seen) for middle back development.
- Slight backwards lean for Lower Lat thickness.
- Don’t use momentum.
- This hits your Erector Spinae.
- Feet locked in place, hips slightly above the bad.
- Keeping a neutral spine and tight core, lower to 90 degrees at the hip and return to 180 degrees.
- You can load this by hugging a weighted plate.
- Slow and controlled movement.